Recent content by BSA

  1. BSA

    Replacement age

    I think it is a different situation for every individual. I am wrestling with the decision whether to go ahead with THR or not. I am 58 and my ortho has no problem with me having the procedure, but after reading a lot of medical journal articles and being tested for metal sensitivity, it is...
  2. BSA

    Is Microport OK to use?

    Thanks for the response. Hmmm, that does give me pause that they shipped the manufacturing to China. The other question I have is the neck/stem one piece the ortho is planning to use is Ti6Al4V alloy (Titanium, Aluminum, Vanadium) Even though it is not the moveable part I am concerned about Al...
  3. BSA

    Is Microport OK to use?

    Hi all, My surgeon is planning on using a titanium Microport stem/neck one piece implant but in doing some reading I see Microport has had a recall and many lawsuits on their Profemur product. I think this is a different product that is two pieces instead of one which I think I will have, but am...
  4. BSA

    2017 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?

    My THR scheduled for May 30 was cancelled becasue I found out by a blood test for metal allergies that I am very sensitive to nickel. So now my dr is looking around to see if he can find an implant without nickel. Glad I found out about this potential problem before I had surgery, I only want to...
  5. BSA

    Metal allergy question

    Thanks Josephine. Had my pre-op appt yesterday and showed my Dr the results. He cancelled the surgery and said he will do some investigation about other materials that don't contain nickel. He would have used a ceramic ball and plastic liner, but the shaft and neck he would have used were alloys...
  6. BSA

    Metal allergy question

    I completely agree with the original poster! While some medical professionals undoubtedly know about metal allergies, not all patients do, and of course not all patients are aware of this forum. So it is helpful to spread the word as the original poster did that metal allergies are real and that...
  7. BSA

    Metal allergy question

    Just got the results from my metal allergy test. Had the LTT blood test from Othopedic Analysis in Chicago and cost me $573 out of pocket. Decided I was worth the investment to hopefully avoid complications and a possible second surgery in case a revision was necessary. Results showed I am...
  8. BSA

    Metal allergy question

    Thanks for the responses. I called the surgeon's office and they said they have not had a problem with this in their practice, but if I was concerned they recommended I see an allergist and get tested. (Obviously they have dealt with this question before.) Now I am trying to find an allergist...
  9. BSA

    Metal allergy question

    Hi, New to the forum and scheduled to have left hip replaced on May 30. I never thought about it before but have been reading articles regarding people having an allergy to the metal implants they use. I'm not talking about MoM (metal on metal), my surgeon doesn't do that. But I believe he does...
  10. BSA

    2017 May Marvels - Are you having hip surgery in May?

    Hi, Scheduled for May 30. Having my left hip replaced. Thanks!
Back
Top Bottom