Recent content by BluesmanVT

  1. BluesmanVT

    TKR The Mysterious Pilgrimage of NewKnee

    Here's my status at 30 Days Post-Op: Wound continues to heal without complications. Still significant inflammation. Pain mgmt medication is 2,000mg of Tylenol over a 24 hour period. Nothing else. Continued Turmeric for inflammation. Taking variety of OTC meds and herbs for likely ulcer. With...
  2. BluesmanVT

    PKR Can't get to sleep. Codeine meds may be the culprit?

    Hi Zoobird, I had my TKR the same day you had your PKR. At this point I would say that I have more distress from lack of sleep than from the pain or discomfort in my knee. I've reached a point where I can usually fall to sleep initially within 30 minutes, but then I wake up in 2-3 hours and...
  3. BluesmanVT

    TKR Recovering in Canada

    Hi SnowHare, Congratulations on your Turnaround Day. I had one on Friday. They are truly gifts. Regarding stiffness/straightening ... My PT applies heat to my leg before we begin exercises. I've found that it relaxes the muscles. So I've started doing it at home as well. I still ice, but...
  4. BluesmanVT

    TKR The Mysterious Pilgrimage of NewKnee

    Today is Day 20 Post-Op Very happy with my knee's progress at this point. Less happy with secondary issues. I drove for the first time yesterday. Very exciting. Haven't been so happy to drive since I got my license at age 16. Walking with a cane. Able to do stairs and can actually take a...
  5. BluesmanVT

    TKR SuzyQ58 in recovery

    Hi SuzyQ58, You're about six weeks ahead of me and it's very encouraging to hear how well you're doing. Keep up the good work!
  6. BluesmanVT

    TKR The Mysterious Pilgrimage of NewKnee

    Thanks to everyone for your comments, cautions and suggestions about my stomach pain. I've been a vegetarian for 40 years and have almost never had chronic digestive issues or stomach pain until the day I came home from the hospital 16 days ago. I contacted the Ortho department at Dartmouth...
  7. BluesmanVT

    TKR The Mysterious Pilgrimage of NewKnee

    Thanks for comments about napping. Napping is definitely helpful. This is Day 13 Post-op for me. Climbed stairs to upstairs bathroom for second time (14 stairs with one railing) using crutch. This morning I used a 4 footed cane, instead of walker. Felt tentative. Doing PT exercises without...
  8. BluesmanVT

    TKR The Mysterious Pilgrimage of NewKnee

    Climbed stairs today with a crutch. First time I've been upstairs in my house since surgery 11 days ago. Very excited to be able to shower. :-) My biggest struggle at this point is sleep. I can't seem to get more than a couple of hours in short spurts. Can't get comfortable with my leg and...
  9. BluesmanVT

    TKR The Mysterious Pilgrimage of NewKnee

    I was having another sleepless night in the aftermath of my TKR and in the wee hours of the morning I grabbed my computer and began scouring the Web for information on knee replacements. I was fortunate to stumble on the Bone Smart site and was really impressed by the community and the valuable...
  10. BluesmanVT

    What is the best case scenario for walking unaided

    I had a TKR (Right Knee) at Dartmouth Hospital on 1/22/19. Prior to the surgery they said I was a "candidate" for same day release based on risk-assessment, but provided I meet certain goals. However, by the time the PT got to my room to teach me how to use a walker (and climb steps with...
Back
Top Bottom