Recent content by bethreads

  1. bethreads

    Derotational femoral osteotomy for FAI

    I got the name of another hip preservationist in a Facebook group for femoral osteotomy support. I sent an email to Dr. Robert Kollmorgen in California and he wrote back to me about 10 hours later, on a Sunday of a holiday weekend (wow!!!) saying he'd be happy to review my imaging and give me...
  2. bethreads

    Derotational femoral osteotomy for FAI

    I just got off the phone with Dr. Sierra, who answered my many questions. :) He confirmed my guess that the reason hip replacement isn't what he recommends is that I do not have arthritis. I likely need correction of the femur angle due to retroversion. My hip joint has too much bone (both cam...
  3. bethreads

    Hip Arthroscopy MRI results

    Hi @wworker! I also had arthroscopy for my hip for femoroacetabular impingement and labral tear. After nearly a year of no improvement after surgery, I sought a second opinion. I strongly encourage you to do the same! It doesn't sound like your first surgeon knows all the range of issues that...
  4. bethreads

    Derotational femoral osteotomy for FAI

    Oh and Dr. Sierra at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester is my surgeon: https://www.mayoclinic.org/biographies/sierra-rafael-j-m-d/bio-20054877 I don’t think I’d characterize him as old school. He spent more than an hour with me, reviewed records from my failed arthroscopy and reviewed the 3D CT scan...
  5. bethreads

    Derotational femoral osteotomy for FAI

    My surgeon didn’t say anything about age being a factor or hip replacement. I can ask specifically about replacement, but it wasn’t what he specified was needed for my case, pretty sure because I don’t have arthritis/degeneration in the joint.
  6. bethreads

    Derotational femoral osteotomy for FAI

    I'm not sure I do know what I'm getting into! I only know what three different surgeons have told me about what is causing my pain and what needs to be done, and all three were different. That's kind of why I'm asking here. :) Were the folks who had hip replacement for FAI older than I am...
  7. bethreads

    Derotational femoral osteotomy for FAI

    Yes, I've been warned recovery takes a year or so--that was also what I was told for arthroscopy. I don't need hip replacement because I'm 39 and I don't have arthritis or other degenerative problems with the joint, just essentially too much bone in the wrong places and the angle of my femur may...
  8. bethreads

    Hip Arthroscopy Hip arthroscopy cost

    Consultation, MRI, surgery, and post-op are all going to be separate expenses. I've had multiple surgical consultations with three different surgeons in Minnesota, two CT scans, an MRI, multiple x-rays, physical therapy, etc. I'll list what was billed to my insurance, not what I actually paid. I...
  9. bethreads

    Derotational femoral osteotomy for FAI

    Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I have hip surgery scheduled at the Mayo Clinic on August 25 for surgical hip dislocation and derotational femoral osteotomy for my right hip. Basically, femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) wasn't corrected with the more typical athroscopy, so I'm going for a...
  10. bethreads

    Hip Arthroscopy Hip arthroscopy cost

    I had arthroscopy for FAI and labral tear in 2018. It was over $20k. I'd echo others suggesting your state's insurance exchange or healthcare.gov for coverage. In case of a job loss, that's a qualifying event. I've used my state's exchange for insurance many years, and sometimes it was as good...
  11. bethreads

    Hip Arthroscopy What's normal?<

    It was incredibly validating!:ok: To answer the questions, from my Mayo Clinic notes summary with doctor's notes in quotes, I have "an over-constrained socket, with a deep socket, downgoing roof angle, general over-coverage of the femoral head, with a coxa profunda." Basically my hip socket is...
  12. bethreads

    Hip Arthroscopy What's normal?<

    Hi all, checking in after my Mayo Clinic appointment yesterday. I have to say it was pretty intimidating/scary to go to Rochester for this, but I'm so glad I did, and so thankful to have a world-class clinic/hospital in my state (Minnesota). I had new imaging done for my hip (x-rays of my hip...
  13. bethreads

    Hip Arthroscopy What's normal?<

    After trying another round of very moderate physical therapy late last fall for my back/hip and seeing no real benefit, I quit and just stuck with yoga for a few months over the winter. My hip pain has improved from the intense level of pain from surgery, but I still have quite a bit of joint...
  14. bethreads

    Hip Arthroscopy What's normal?<

    I have been back to work for full 8 hour days since mid-Oct. when my employer stopped accommodating any working from home. This has been a very difficult and painful transition. I've tried a different office chair for more reclining at work, heat, ice, resting on the couch at work during my 20...
  15. bethreads

    Hip Arthroscopy What's normal?<

    An update: today is 6 months post-op. Surgery was April 17, and the last few weeks have been the best yet. I've had multiple days where I can go hours completely forgetting that I had surgery! I am back to work full time, but still doing some work from home each day. This has been helpful when...
Back
Top Bottom