Hip Arthroscopy MRI results

wworker

Country
United States United States
Hi, this is my first post here.

I had two surgeries in '12 & '13 to address FAI and labrum tears in my left hip. I was hoping to get back to running but wasn't able to without discomfort after a few weeks each time I tried.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year, when the pain in my hip got increasingly worse (groin, down femur, buttocks). So I went back to my doctor and, after x-rays were inconclusive (minor narrowing of joint), he sent me for an mri.

I'm wondering if anyone here could shed some light on the results? Findings were as follows; "There is abnormally elevated T2 and T1 signal within the gluteus minimus muscle. There is also abnormal T2 signal elevation within the iliopsoas muscle distally. These findings are consistent with sequelae of prior intramuscular tears."

I'm a couple of days away from my follow up appointment and I'm hoping to go in knowing more about the problem.

Thanks

Pumpkln

Country
@wworker
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:

Please post your surgery dates, a moderator will add them to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

Sounds like you have some muscle tears that are lighting up the MRI. You will have to talk to your OS about what it means for you, and what your options are moving forward.

With minor narrowing of the joint indicating you have some arthritis in your hip. IMO if further surgery is recommend you should seriously consider a THR. The arthritis will only continue to progress.

I have a right hip labrum tear that I am able to manage with stretching and core strengthening. In discussion with my OS if it progresses a THR is recommended. I also have minor narrowing in the hip joint, indicating arthritis.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@wworker Welcome to BoneSmart! All too often we see members who have had arthroscopy going to needing THR. Arthritis is a bear - and it takes over very quickly. Unfortunately the only "cure" is THR.

Please let us know how your appointment goes.

OP
OP
W

wworker

Country
Thanks for the replies.

I had my follow up appointment this morning and the doctor said, after reviewing my history, the MRI results, and manipulating my hip, he believes it is another FAI issue, with some additional inflammation in the muscles/tendons of the gluteus minimus and iliopsoas. He also said he doesn't see any significant arthritis issue that would be causing the pain.

He gave me a cortisone shot on the outside of the hip, scheduled another shot for inside the joint, and told me the insurance company is going to require some PT prior to moving forward. He expects the solution will require another surgery. Ugh!

I'm struggling with the idea of another surgery and rehab.

Has anyone else had repeated issues with FAI requiring multiple surgeries? If so, did you ever get long term relief? Any thoughts regarding alternatives to FAI surgery?

Pumpkln

Country
I had two surgeries in '12 & '13 to address FAI and labrum tears in my left hip. I was hoping to get back to running but wasn't able to without discomfort after a few weeks each time I tried.
Since you have had FAI and tears with a history of 2 surgeries that were nominally successful, I would question going in and doing the same repair again.

In my case with a labrum tear, and minor narrowing of my hip joint, I have decided to have a THR when I can no longer manage my groin pain.

Pumpkln

Country
Please post your surgery dates as close as you can remember, a moderator will add them to your signature for you. Having the exact dates will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

bethreads

Country
Hi @wworker! I also had arthroscopy for my hip for femoroacetabular impingement and labral tear. After nearly a year of no improvement after surgery, I sought a second opinion. I strongly encourage you to do the same! It doesn't sound like your first surgeon knows all the range of issues that can be happening with your hip. I mean that in the nicest possible way. :) I invite you to join the Facebook group for FAI, Understanding Hip Impingement. I am also in another group for my upcoming surgery, which is known as femoral osteotomy. This is also another group for periacetabular osteotomy, which is a similar but different open hip surgery.

Did you ever have a CT scan done of your hip? There is a list of hip preservationists in the Facebook groups.

Last edited by a moderator:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Livelaurel
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom