Recent content by BadKneesTO

  1. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    It will be 8 weeks tomorrow since I got my new knee. Saw the OS earlier this week. He was very pleased. He had some real concerns about the outcome, given how much old history (scar tissue, staples, etc.) he had to clear out of the way before he could even begin the knee replacement proper. It...
  2. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    New PT yesterday, as I moved from non-funded to funded physiotherapy (long story, but all my own fault). Essentially the same exercises, but some slightly new approaches to "active assistance." And getting to know each other's and what they mean, what the limits are, etc. Not overwhelmed this...
  3. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    Thanks @FCBayern And then we have days like yesterday - a walk around the block (1 crutch) yesterday afternoon (about 500m) felt good, so I carried on and did it a second time. Won't be doing that again any time soon! By evening I was so swollen I could barely bend the knee. I know we...
  4. B

    TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

    Hey Canuck. @traceys I'm sorry to hear your new knee has come up short for you so far. Slow though it may be, I wish for you continued progress. In the little time I've been here, you have seemed to have a really positive effect on people with your encouragements, well wishes and empathy. You...
  5. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    One Month update. Hello all. I'm still here and still progressing. Surgery was 4 weeks ago, yesterday. So hard to believe: it feels like just yesterday, yet it seems like forever ago. Pain now managed almost entirely with Acetaminophen/Paracetamol. Just need a little hydromorphone to help put...
  6. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    Thanks for your concerns Josephine. Yes, I read that the previous times you shared it. While it is true I am indeed concerned about the consequences of declining the PT my OS has prescribed, I have gone to a fair amount of effort to seek out this particular surgeon and his expertise. I am...
  7. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    Thanks all. I have read your advice and replies to my questions. Much of what you have to say, while it appears to make sense, is diametrically opposed to what my OS has in mind for me. I am left in the middle, and have some choices to make, and make them I have, at least for now. Whether or...
  8. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    Thank-you Josephine, Jockette and NavyGunns. I must confess to being more than a little overwhelmed with just about everything else right now. Why should I have expected advice re: PT/exercise/etc. to have been the exception? :heehee: I suppose I’d been hoping for a single “magic bullet”, and...
  9. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    Zingers. A new word for my vocabulary... Oh my.... I shall have to digest this, and your comments in the body of the message. Although I had anticipated the flavour of your response, I am a bit taken aback by how far away this would take me from my appointed direction. I mean no direct...
  10. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    A frightening description:yikes:, but the perfect solution:ice:. Thanks!
  11. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    Day 17. Exercises are all range of motion and “muscle activation” (which I understand to be just going through the motions without added load or force.). A dozen or so exercises, 5 reps each times 5-6 sessions. Yes it hurts a bit at times, but nowhere near enough to make me stop; certainly not...
  12. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    That’s quite a list! And of course, often not a straightforward answer. But here we go: Context: Day 13 post-op. Staples out yesterday. One gentle physio session 3 days ago, another today. 1. As I write, 3, mostly muscle ache. When walking 0-60% load bearing, as I can manage 5 getting started...
  13. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    @traceys ,@maryo52 Hi there and thanks for the replies. @traceys Hey there, Canuck! 17 prior surgeries! Now THAT is perseverance! Hmmm. Yes, that does sound familiar! :loll: Thanks for that. I walked into this knowing I was buying short term pain for long term gain - but "knowing"...
  14. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    Hi Josephine, I've updated my signature. Right TKR, Feb 22, 2019. (Common usage in my hospital was surgery is Day 0. I may have miscounted) By "active", I meant range achieved only by active use of the joint muscles. By "passive", I meant the joint was passive while being manipulated, thereby...
  15. B

    TKR Now what have I gone and done?<

    Many thanks, Jockette and eaglemom, for your support and information. I will work my way through all of this great advice over the next few days. But first - ICE! Yes, I am taking my meds, but trying to keep it sensible. Take a dose of hydromorphone just ahead of my scheduled exercises, and...
Back
Top Bottom