Hi all,
I would like to hear about anyone's experiences doing martial arts with a hip replacement. My doc okayed me to do Tae Kwon Do but no sparring or contact kicks with my bad leg.
How have people adapted their training?
I am 47 and had dysplasia in my right hip only. I know I am a lot older than you, but there are tons of truly young people who need hips replaced! Good luck. Getting my hip replaced was the best thing I ever did!
I had General because I have a spine that doctors hate for some reason. 4 epidurals and a block for a c-section and the anesthesiologist "missed" at least once for each. I told my anesthesiologist no way did i want them doing that for my hip surgery. I am assuming I am unusual in this...
Thank you @Layla !
I an back to work after 8 weeks and I am so glad I was able to wait that long to go back. I'm so glad I took everyone's advice not to push it. I needed to mentally heal from the surgery as well.
THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT you guys are the best
The biggest help to me was asking the surgeon TONS of questions. Even ones that seemed dumb. I tried to ask my first surgeon questions and he just sidestepped them. I fired that guy!
Best wishes to you on your surgery and recovery!
Update: I went in to the doc at 6 weeks and she did NOT clear me to go back to work! I was so relieved. Something told me to have my husband come in to the appointment with me, and all three of us determined that I need more time. I need to build up my endurance more and allow more healing. And...
I'm 47, which is a long way from 30, but I had it in my head I was going to be on my feet way before those old farts! Well, not so much. If there is anything I learned from this website it's that EVERYONE'S RECOVERY IS DIFFERENT. It really a process that is unique to you. Good luck!
Yeah there's no way they are giving me 12 weeks. I get 6 weeks total partially paid, and I can't afford to take time unpaid. I will have to make do.
Honestly, the walker was torture because it made my arms so tired. At least when I use the cane only one arm gets tired and not as much.
And...
@Layla
I just wanted to say that I did find the activity progression guide helpful. I am worried that I am being lazy more than anything! But then I overdo it and suffer. I am not good at moderation!!!!
Has anyone else felt very sensitive to the heat since surgery? I can't spend much time...
Hi all!
Here I am, 5 weeks out from surgery. My boss was a bit put out that I didn't come back after 4 weeks. Well too bad, is what I was thinking. I just can't move that much yet-my job involves a lot of sitting and standing and walking around. And canes aren't allowed at work because they are...
Hi we had surgery on the same day! I read your recovery thread and am glad to hear you are doing as well as you are!
Just a note on the caregiver husband: my husband dropped the ball a few times also. I ended up peeing on the floor a couple of times!
So here's a question. In the suggested activity progression for my recovery week 4, it says:
"Weeks 4 and 5
Increase walks around, to 30mins, longer if you feel up to it.
Activity: now you can do some dusting and push a vacuum round the middle of the living room; do a little meal prep (for...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.