Recent content by alija

  1. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    It will be 3 years, on 1st December 2025, since I had my left TKR. There was no infection and no onward treatment so I joined a health club to continue hydrotherapy in the baby pool at my own pace. The knee became less acutely painful after the fluid was withdrawn but has never settled down...
  2. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    15 months post op. Am starting to feel a little more optimistic. Hydrotherapy has improved my strength and balance and the pain on bending my knee seems less sharp now. Easier getting in and out of the car and turning in bed now, although still not right and any activity brings on the numbness...
  3. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    14 month post op. Saw new Consultant last week and he agreed it's significantly swollen. Ordered MRI and I am on theatre waiting list to have fluid drawn off to test for low grade infection. The MRI showed lots of fluid but is awaiting a specialist radiologist report as image degradation from...
  4. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    I'm afraid my appointment got postponed till the end of the month due to the doctors strikes. I have been trying to exercise without using my legs too much but my knee swells every time I use it. Both knees are now starting to give way. The new painkillers are helping but I don't want to take...
  5. alija

    TKR What did I get myself into?

    Hello Will, I can relate to so much in your knee progress. I am over 1 year now and knee is significantly painful all the time if I move it . Still can't lie on unaffected side even with pillow, going upstairs normally is extremely painful as I push off from my bent leg. Walking more than about...
  6. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    11 1/2 month update. Knee still painful after walking and swollen. Still can't walk upstairs properly and often have to go up on all fours as my other knee is so bad now. A couple of weeks ago walked just under two miles slowly with stick and just about managed but pain was quite significant...
  7. alija

    TKR Feeling frustrated

    Hello. I know the feeling. I had a left TKR in Dec 2022 and not only still have pain on any activity but am quite incapacitated now. I had to buy an automatic car at 7 months post op as gear changing was painful. I have never been able to go upstairs normally and still limp so this strains my...
  8. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    Thank you. Have made it up the stairs backwards on my bottom but my partner had to haul me off the floor. Good job he was a fireman! Hope tomorrow brings some relief.
  9. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    10 1/2 month update. Have had 10 hydrotherapy sessions and 3 physio since August, which has helped a little. ROM = 115 / 0. Seem to think it is IT band syndrome and hamstring wasting. Saw private surgeon who agreed but said I should be pushing more forcefully to see NHS Consultant as self pay...
  10. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    9 months update: Have had 6 hydrotherapy sessions now which has helped strengthen the muscles and eased the pain slightly. My other knee was getting really painful and starting to give way so a couple of weeks ago I was having to go upstairs on all fours. Have seen a physio twice and he won't...
  11. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    I agree that I could justify plain xrays for loosening but my GP felt that it would be a quicker pathway to pursue the physio triage. I am a retired radiographer mostly in MRI and CT and although I know MR technology has moved on there is always significant image degradation and artefact with...
  12. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    8 month update LTKR. Had physio triage mid July and he has prioritised hydrotherapy. May be a problem with my patella but have not heard back from Consultant. Am back on Tramadol and Paracetamol to try to break pain cycle and hopefully improve my gait. Second session in the water today and...
  13. alija

    THR THR - Two years post-op and doing well

    I am a Gloucester gal , 8 month knee replacement anniversary coming up and still in significant pain after any activity. Have a triage physio appointment coming up on Friday to see what is going on as I cannot move my leg pain free without supporting it's weight. Driving is very uncomfortable so...
  14. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    Hi Ealing Gran, no I haven't pushed to see the Consultant yet as I haven't decided the best way forward. My previous PKR was done by a knee specialist but this time it was an OS who specialises in complicated hips. Considering paying to get opinion from my first Consultant. Pre pandemic I did a...
  15. alija

    TKR Two days forward, one day backwards

    Have a one off PT assessment mid July. Have realised my knee is no longer straightening fully and I can now get my hand underneath it. Flexion has regressed from a few months back, guesstimate 95-100. Could this be why I still can't walk upstairs alternately and without significant pain when I...
Back
Top Bottom