Recent content by Alfie

  1. Alfie

    scheduled March 7th - scared stiff

    Good morning @Paparanian. There is lots of good reading available on this site and I'm sure one of the moderators will be along shortly with good advice. Being scared is normal. My second TKR is coming up on Tuesday and I think I'm more nervous/frightened this time than last. Making your home...
  2. Alfie

    Anaesthetic for TKR

    I, too, was very apprehensive about a spinal and requested GA so I wouldn't have to hear/see/sense/smell ANYTHING. I didn't get my own way but was assured I wouldn't be aware of anything. I've never had children so had no experience with epidurals. I cried the whole time it was being...
  3. Alfie

    2016 February Valentines - Are you have knee surgery in February?

    February 23, 2016 for a RTKR, almost 15 months after I had the left one done.
  4. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    Good morning @Reich4313. Your return to work at 3 weeks is courageous, to say the least. I was still using the walker at that point. I, too, still have a lot of stiffness and tightness and look forward to it going away eventually. My PT got me to 110 with some gentle pushing last week, so I was...
  5. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    I haven't visited here in weeks because there hasn't been much to share. However, tomorrow is my 12-week anniversary for my shiny new knee! I am feeling so much better - usually. There are still tough days where I know I have done too much and need to rest. We're deep in winter here, so...
  6. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    Here I am 7 weeks post-op. Mobility is so much better (at times). I haven't used the walker in more than a week and am able to toddle about the small house under my own steam. Eleven days ago my flexion was only 80, but this past Monday, I reached 100. I was quite proud of that! At my 6-week...
  7. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    @kneeper The doc came through with enough to get me through the weekend. I'm relieved. Today I hope to manage a shower for the first time in a month. Sink baths are OK, but a full drenching will be bliss! Happy New Year to you all
  8. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    Thanks @hbacres. It's a bizarre sensation - I'm just glad it doesn't randomly occur while I'm standing. Today was a good day, I thought. I made it into our bedroom without the walker (I've been sleeping in the spare room). Folded some laundry, then sat. Took an hour to do a sinkful of dishes...
  9. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    @kneeper: I'm not sure how to explain the "stretches." When I'm lying still and then shift a bit, my entire left leg seizes up straight and I can feel all the muscles stretching. It lasts a few seconds and isn't painful. I don't have any control over it. Is continued numbness of the leg around...
  10. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    Hello. I figured it was time to update my thread at 24 days post-op. I've had 2 PT appts so far and she's very pleasant but did not like my bend at all (somewhere between 42 and 60 I think?). She doesn't like the recliner (leg is kept straight too long) and would prefer I sat in a straight-back...
  11. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    I'm now 17 days post-op and am waffling between thinking I'm doing OK and feeling I am not doing enough. I am getting around well with the walker for the most part, but just in the house. I had my staples removed yesterday. Getting to and from the clinic, the hour-plus wait at the busy clinic...
  12. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    Thanks for the reading list again. I've read them a few times and learn something new each time. Sleep is elusive still. When I finally get into a comfortable enough position and drift off, I wake up 60 to 90 minutes later with the urgent need to pee. This urgency goes on all day despite...
  13. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    Sheesh, what a mess of typing. Using Favourite Husband's iPad in an awkward position... I've been struggling with my daily exercises and know I need to be more conscientious about them. My hospital experience was not great. Screamed in pain when I tried to stand the day after so I was rigged up...
  14. Alfie

    TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

    Hello everyone. I made it to the other side! I've been home a week now and am due to start in-home PT in the next few days.
  15. Alfie

    Dec. 2 LTKR to be followed by RTKR at a later date

    Good morning everyone. Looking for a bit of encouragement. I wish they provided anti-anxiety meds for several days beforehand. I've been pretty good emotionally up till now. I had a wee meltdown of fear and tears today and it's going to be a very long day. I'm pretty much packed and ready to go...
Back
Top Bottom