Recent content by AlanInAZ

  1. A

    Standard Shoulder Replacement So many questions!

    I am now 5 weeks post-op from right anatomic shoulder replacement. Some comments on my very incomplete recovery. My surgeon requires 4 weeks in sling. No abduction pillow. At 4 weeks transition out of sling and start physical therapy. My pt is a week late starting, I have an appointment in...
  2. A

    THR Anterior Approach Same Day Return Home

    I am now 6 months post-op but unhappily I have had an unexpected surprise. I was diagnosed via ultrsound two weeks ago with a proximal dvt [above the knee] in my surgery leg. The dvt runs along the femoral vein down to calf. After the ultrasound I was sent straight to the ER. They checked my...
  3. A

    Post surgery golf

    Jak Nicklaus and Tom Watson had hip replacements and returned to golf. Watson almost won the British Open 9 months post-op. They both had left hips replaced. Normally the golf swing puts the most stress on the left side as you shift weight from right to left and rotate through the ball strike...
  4. A

    THR Right Anterior- Pep's Recovery

    They do cut the hip capsule. It takes 6 weeks to heal and then continues to strengthen. No "precautions" but be cautious.
  5. A

    THR Ray's Right THR Recovery

    I am almost 12 weeks post-op and I still have some numbness and pain with pressure to the areas around the incision and and upper thigh. My experience from 11 years ago was that it took a very long time for that to resolve.
  6. A

    THR Pain at 5 months

    You can use the handle on your cane to lift the leg.
  7. A

    THR Ray's Right THR Recovery

    I am now almost 10 weeks post-op. At 7 weeks post-op I could not put my ankle over knee. Today I can put my socks on ankle over knee. The transition happened silently and with no special effort on my part. For me the rom to put socks on returned with time and normal daily movements.
  8. A

    THR Four weeks tomorrow!

    I stopped the walker at end of week one when I had my second PT session. I transitioned from cane to almost no cane at about day 15 after my 4th and last PT session. I continued to carry a cane for some time just in case but rarely used it. Walking distance and general movement ability has...
  9. A

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    I used the handle on my cane to maneuver the operated leg, stiff shaft gave good control.
  10. A

    THR Anterior Approach Same Day Return Home

    I am now at two months post-op and my attention has turned to other medical issues with the hip recovery on a glide path with some minor turbulence from time to time. My activity level is good but cautious. Today will be an easy day, meaning that I will limit my walking outdoors. I have been...
  11. A

    THR Reclaiming my Future after THR

    My detailed surgery report showed a blood loss of 400c during the operation and there was likely more blood loss post-op. Red blood cells take some time to recover so the low hemoglobin would not surprise me. Of course check with your PCP.
  12. A

    THR Trailrunner's recovery

    I also read my surgery report and my surprise is how little the pain was given the scale of the intervention. The temporary discomforts of the anesthesia were the worst pain I had and that subsided within hours. The surgery report indicated that the pericapsular tissues were irrigated with a...
  13. A

    THR Trailrunner's recovery

    Normally I would bring my ankle up to the knee but I still have some pain in the operated side when I try this. Also I have severe shoulder arthritis and this limits my reach. I now use a stepping stool as a foot rest and this elevation allows me to reach my toes.
  14. A

    THR It is done

    You can add NSAIDs to Tylenol. I used Celebrex but others like ibuprofen or naproxen might help if you want to avoid narcotics.
  15. A

    THR Pain when walking

    As other have commented, it does not matter what others do but rather whether you are making some progress. I take walks of varying length depending on how I feel, my plans for the rest of the day and the weather. I pick routes that include spots where I can sit for a few minutes if needed. I...
Back
Top Bottom