Recent content by Abacus

  1. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    It's a big day!:wowspring:Last week, I was very nervous when the OT was here and didn't want to try the very steep steps into the garage. Today, I made the bed without using the walker (just supporting myself on the mattress), took the sheets to the washer (in the garage) then went down and up...
  2. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    That makes a fun mental picture of the carpet and the cane! The guidelines you sent are helpful. A lot of this came up because the PT and OT keep saying not to turn my operated leg to the side and I don't know I'm doing this. Also, the OT said it was okay to bend over to pick things up and i...
  3. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    I look forward to this perspective on Jessica and the new hip. Thank you, it's a comfort to hear you've been where I am.
  4. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    I'm grateful for seeing a friend this week I haven't seen since we were both 9! I am also now cleared to use the front house stairs with my cane/walker combo method. Freedom and joy. :happydance: Okay; here's my burning question now that I can do more and forget my limitations until hurting...
  5. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    Thank you @Layla and @Jaycey for the perspective and warm words. I appreciate this deeply right now.
  6. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    Time feels both compressed and slowed down since covid-19 and especially since my surgery and Jessica dying suddenly. Her ashes came in the mail today and it's almost incomprehensible that a box is all that's left of her. Also untrue. I miss her so much. I'm grieving over her and in a way over...
  7. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    I find it helpful to write lists of what I've done each day and this forum thread feels safe to journal and reflect. My list for Tuesday 10/13 included: -iced my hip -asked questions and -felt my feelings. This last is a big one, the spikes and surges get bigger if I ignore them or push myself...
  8. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    I've been thinking lately about all the new perspectives I have as of today, and it's the first day of Week 4 since the surgery. Every surgery spurs some reflection and emotional/physical adjustments for me- I think this one is really stretching my capacity. I made a timeline yesterday to orient...
  9. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    I'm glad this site is here for information and support... and times when my mind is pondering questions when I want to sleep. I had a handyman come look at the front steps to porch to install a grab bar there after the home PT suggested it. I can't use the steps without a spotter per PT as...
  10. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    @leejaa, thank you for the reminder to celebrate.
  11. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    I love this and how do you add the fun pictures?
  12. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    I needed that reminder, time already is strange since sheltering in place with covid-19.... things tend to feel like forever or as if they have no edges. I had my post-op appointment yesterday and the PA and doctor team are really excellent. The dr left me a copy of his dictated notes from the...
  13. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    I hope you might have some advice for me. It's hard to get to clothes in my drawers and closet so I just put some things in a milk crate on a chair for easy access but it's kind of small. I don't want to buy a lot of stuff- how do you keep clothes handy for access?
  14. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    Today in PT I learned how to go down the front steps (there isn't room for the walker on them) by using a combination of a cane and the walker so I could actually be outside for the first time since the surgery. Hooray!
  15. Abacus

    THR Abacus Right Hip Replacement Thread

    @Elf1, thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering who to write to about what happened in the hospital. I hope they can learn from what happened in my case.
Back
Top Bottom