TKR From Difficult Moment to Some Positive Moments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I know, long time no write. I have not had a chance to check and reply to other threads either. So, I made it through one week of training, 4 very long days on my feet. The classes went well, and the CEO even complimented me on a job well done. Wish my knee however was thankful. I am so sore and swollen in spite of icing every night. It feels like a big boo boo. I am going to see the doctor just to get checked out, and have him tell me I cannot sustain the pace I have been at. These were 12 hour days at the office. I really want to rest more and resume some kind of PT. I feel gross, so out of shape, and too sore. I hope I do not land myself out on disability again. But I cannot explain how busy work is, drowning there.....
Hope everyone is able to enjoy some of the summer weather:)

Karen

Karen....12-hour days at a little over 4 months??? YIKES!!!! I can imagine how you must feel!! I hope you are able to scale things down a bit. Your health is MUCH more important than any job. Sadly, since you soldiered through and received the good words from the company CEO, you might have a more difficult time convincing them that you cannot continue at this pace. But please try and enlist the help (and written notification) of your surgeon. You really need to take care of yourself and not allow constant swelling and pain that could become a chronic condition.

Yes, that is what I am concerned about, this becomming a chronic condition. I will get into see the surgeon and get this and myself under control. But on a good note, I met a nice guy - one date so far. He is a radiologist, my age, two boys, TBD.

SWEET!!!!! Hope the friendship blossoms!!!

Get your radiologist friend to back you up in your need to take it more easily, then ice your knee, and get him to take you out to lunch!:dancy:

That sounds like a plan! So you all think generally speaking, I need to cut back on work hours (duh) but would riding stationary bike and stretches be bad with the swelling that is going on? I feel gross doing nothing, but the swelling and discomfort is worse now than two weeks ago. I am struggling to find out what the right balance is.

For a while, I would stop everything but the stretches. You're not going to lose any ROM by doing this and you need to give the knee a chance to calm down. Cycling is excellent for you and, once you are rid of the pain and swelling, you can certainly start it up again. They key will be to work up gradually.

You would start at 5 minutes for 3-4 days, no resistance.
Increase by 1 minutes for the next 3-4 days , no resistance, until you get to 30 minutes.
Stay at the 30 minutes per day until you are fully healed. After that you can gradually increase times or add resistance if you like AND if your knee is okay after the sessions.

Of course, if you are doing a lot of other activity at home or at work, then you really don't need to cycle at all until you are healed and ready for some strength training. That could be up to a year after surgery. They key is to pay attention to how your knee reacts to whatever you're doing and respond accordinly. Please don't feel like you're "doing nothing" through all this. YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT --- HEALING!!!

Ok, so what you are saying is be patient, lol? I stink at that. Seriously, I felt better before I started going back to the office. I felt on track, did my PT exercises regularly at home, and 10 minute of abs 4x a week. Then I return to work and am too swollen, sore, and tired to do anything else. And it feels like my knee is regressing big time, with that awful feeling like the knee is pushing through the skin. I do think it is time to go back to the doctor so I can get one more note for my employer saying more than x hours is not permitted. I am done with my last training class this week. my knee and quad actually has a burning sensation in it. Ugh.

Yes, I am saying you need to be patient. And treat that new knee with tenderness.

Most people underestimate the level of activity that is involved with work and their "normal" daily activity. That's why we tell folks it's sometimes best to stop the workouts and just go with normal activities for a while. You have to get your mind wrapped around the idea that ANY movement is exercise! And....it can take a lot out of you when you are still trying to recover. I think getting your doctor to help is an excellent idea.

It's pretty obvious from what you've written that your level of activity at work is just too much for you right now. It is the reason for your pain and swelling.

Hello All,
Just wanted to stop in and say hi to everyone. I have been reading a lot of the new posts, lots of new knee progress coming along from other members! I can't believe summer is almost over. My knee is progressing. My biggest discomfort is the tightness, and a burning in my quad and calf muscles. I am trying to do more stretches, and the bike. That helps some, and lots of naproxen, ice and heat. But the swelling has calmed down some.
I go to Jamaica next week, ya mon!!!! Should be interesting going through security. I hope my knee doesn't swell or hurt too bad during the trip, but that is why you can get a cocktail at the pool any time of day!!!!!! I still do not feel yippee I got the surgery. And when I went to the doctor, he said all was ok, just doing to much. I also told him my good knee has an ongoing sore spot, like a deep tooth ache. They x rayed and said I have arthritis in that knee too, and if it gets a little worse to do the synvisc shots. So likely looking at another replacement a few years down the road.

Ok, all for now.....
Karen

Jamaica sounds
From Difficult Moment to Some Positive Moments
so warm and relaxing. Enjoy yourself---but be kind to your knee.

When I see all of you whose "good" knee is starting to be a problem, I am so so glad that I had both done and it's all over. (Shame on me--that's not making you feel good). HAVE FUN!

Karen....it sounds like you are coming right along. Slow steps forward are just fine and you will get there! Have fun on your vacation.

Karen....it sounds like you are coming right along. Slow steps forward are just fine and you will get there! Have fun on your vacation.

Thanks, Mon.
I won't be doing Dunns River or Zip lining, bungee jumping and pyramid climbs like I did last summer in Mexico, but I am thinking a massage is sounding pretty darn good after a rough day at the pool bar.

Good idea. It's hard work lifting all those little umbrellas!!!

Hello Everyone,
I just got back from Jamaica, and am SO HAPPY to report back that the knee did not ruin my vacation, at all. Although I had my first security pat down at JFK which was a whole ordeal, with my knee beeping. I am elated that I went on vacation, and looking back as to where I was just a few months ago remembering being in such a bad place physically and emotionally. Everyone here promised around the six month mark it gets a lot better, and for those who are new to your TKR's, it really does! I am calling the doctor though tomorrow to start on shots for my other knee. Not waiting until it is too late, like I did for my right knee.
Hope everyone is progressing, I have to catch up on everyone's threads.
Karen

Jamaica! Oh, Karen I am so jealous---but how wonderful for you! You sound so positive and happy--so glad for you. Hope you took some pics you can share with us. Glad to have you back!

Wonderful report!!!! It's so nice to hear from you that the 6-month mark was a turning point. That happens in so many cases. Now you have lovely Jamacian memories to recall.....that's a wonderful place to recover.

Karen that is great news! Jamaica Mon! Loved stopping by there on our cruise, but I didn't get off. When my knee finishes healing I want to go on another cruise but this time I will be dancing off the ship at every port!:happydance:

I am very glad to read that your knee is helping you to enjoy your life now! That is wonderful news about your vacation in Jamaica! You are on your way now, and I know that you will handle the next one with ease and knowledge!

My turning point was at about five months, so I understand completely your frustration, but now you know the joys that the TKR can bring!

Hi,
I have a question hopefully some of you can answer. I have developed over the past two weeks a strange deep ache starting at my lower hip area and it goes down the front of my thigh and into my calf. It goes from a deep ache to a burning pain, and the only thing that seems to soothe it is moist heat. I thought at first it was sore muscles, so I stretched and rode the bike a lot. The more I do the worse it gets and hurts. It is getting really painful and annoying. My mom who is a nurse said it maybe nerve related. My doctor is not available for another 3 weeks....this does not feel right, not like a normal soreness.
Any insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member