Rotator Cuff Repair biceps tenodesis

leonberg

Country
United States United States
I seem to be having a hard time with my ultra sling. surgery yesterday and maybe 3 hours of sleep. while i am glad for the nerve block, the sling is digging into my shoulder right where it was injured. they were ok, but did not really show me anything on fitting. i have a video but it doesn't say much either. with one arm dangling numbly where should it be going across behind the back? is it spotted to cut into shoulder?

Which version of Ultra Sling did you get - I just got the version 3 and it came with an additional strap to prevent this. My surgery is not until May 10th but Monday my surgeon had mine sized and fitted so it would be right.
You might check with your PT group to size it.

Good Luck!!

I would check with your PT or doctor's office (including a Physician's Asst) -- whichever is more convenient. As a general rule (I think), your hand should be resting on your abdomen, with your navel about midway in length b/w your thumb and forefinger. Even if fitted correctly, sleeping is an issue for the first several weeks. I was better with a wedge pillow (from Amazon) but many people find a recliner works well. (I am only 4'11", so our recliner is too deep for me). You prop yourself up with pillows on either side so you don't lean on either side before you fall asleep.

If you go to YouTube, there are videos by PT's that will show you how to fit your sling, sleep in bed or in a recliner.

Sandy

thank you for the help

i can see that i may be my own worst enemy! I can't believe i will be this confined and disabled for 4-6 weeks! Sometimes being home is good but if you are a hyper type like me maybe not! It is spring and all i see are things i want to do! i have an utlrasling 3. I am alreading dreading a third night night of pillow wrestling. Just when you finally get comfy you end up having to pee or a pillow falls off the bed. As muxh as swelling was an issue with TKR, it is easeir to cope than this. sorry for typos!

I can't believe i will be this confined and disabled for 4-6 weeks!
Patience my friend! You are only days out of major surgery. It's a small space of time for a lifetime without shoulder pain!

i am 4 days post op with a cuff repair and biceps tenodesis. Last night i woke up in alot of pain. It feels like a shooting pain from armnpit down the arm. It is not the same pain i have had. Should i be concerned? It is almost like a cramp.

@leonberg Sounds like normal post op pain I'm afraid. Are you taking any pain medication?

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

I hope this is the right way to post now. I am terrible with technology. Yes i am on pain meds. I think one of the issues was that the hospital has given me an ice pack that doesn't really work. I wonder how they think a person could apply the pack while alone? I have a friend who may bring over the cryocuff she has if she can find it! I have had chronic pain so long in many areas so I know the different types of pain. I think the shooting cramp like pain is a combination of bone pain and the fact that all the nerve blocks have worn off. I have tried two different beds, a recliner and 2 couches and still am not really able to sleep. I will have to get used to cat naps like some of you have said before. I would say now that even though you are prepared for this surgery, Logistically it is harder than foot, knee or hip surgery. This is not for sissies but i do know the days can have setbacks which yesterday was for me! Markiamark make sure you can think about the cryocuff before your procedure on May 10th.

@leonberg Thanks for posting - I will be getting a Nice1 device that you put room temperature in it and it chills it down to the temperature you select. It also compresses the shoulder as well. https://www.nicerecovery.com/products/nice1 Not having to keep it stocked with ice will be great. They deliver it 3-4 days before surgery. I really appreciate your and everybody's posts.

has anyone heard of or used the Ultrasling Quadrant ? It sure looks appealing in the photos! to not have a shoulder strap seems luxurious at this point!

i am having a time of it with biceps cramping from the tenodesis. I am taking my arm out to dangle frequently which does help, but does anyone else have insght into other ways to deal withg this?

The other issue is that my 'good'shoulder is tearing too! I know because i can't lift it fully. This is so hard!! i need encouragement. I am guessing i might need a steroid injection in teh good shoulder but to live without either arm is getting difficult!

@leonberg Alas we see this frequently here at BoneSmart ... get one joint replaced and the other one needs replacing soon after. Some times it's just that the "worst" joint took all the attention. And other times it's that the "good" joint was picking up the slack for the "worst" one and got worn out in doing so.

For me the right shoulder went first and 3 years later the left shoulder needed replacing.

I am sorry you are having trouble with the other shoulder! Do talk to your surgeon about what to do. Your surgeon probably will not want to operate until the right shoulder is fully healed and functional. Yes being without both shoulders would be very, very difficult to manage!

Depending on how extensive the tear in your "good" shoulder has become, you might be able to go without surgery for quite some time. I learned from my PT what I could do and needed to avoid. The "prime directive" was not to lift a straight arm past shoulder height if are holding ANY weight in your hand, including a water bottled. Empty hands, your straight arms could go as high as comfortable. If you can bring down any inflammation in that "good" shoulder, it may reduce the pain and make the discomfort liveable.

BTW, my surgeon will not do steroid shots in the shoulder because it is too small an area.

What would i do without this site to ask questions to? The cramping is driving me crazy especially at night. I will be 3 weeks out next
thursday but sometimes i still feel i am not relieving the pain. Any suggestions are helpful! It is the cramping and deep ache and pain medicine does not always touch it.

@leonberg Is it the left shoulder that is cramping so badly? Or is it more the right new shoulder? Where does the cramping seem to stem from? Front? Back? Outside or inside? Have you tried applying heat to the cramping area? Have you started PT for the new shoulder yet? If yes then do ask the PT person about the cramping. There may be exercises that would help that too.

Unlike Boxmaker1917 my doctors did try steroid shots on both my shoulders before doing joint replacement surgery. Neither worked very well as my problems were mostly related to degenerative arthritis. I was told that steroid injections work best for soft tissue problems such as bursitis or tears in muscles or tendons. But it would be worth asking your surgeon if this might be a helpful possibility for you.

The cramping is mostly the biceps tenodesis area. I did try heat and now i am icing. The heat does help. I just cant wait until i can sleep normally! I realize now that the RSR is probably less complex for post op rehab. Maybe that is why the surgeon recommended it. I hope i do not wreck this surgery !
Thank you for all the help. it means alot. I have had foot, knee, spine (3 times) and now this. I would say it is the second hardest surgery for me after the spinal fusion. My total knee issues were more due to swelling. Not many people talk about shouders compared to other joints but they should. it is a tough surgery to go through!

I am still concerned today after day one of PT. During the session she just checked ROM which was on par for this stage. i can do pendulum swings ok but i am supposed to do PROM with a stick and I can't bear it at all. PT siad just do what i can and I am nit pushing it but the pain is terrible. It isn't the muscle or ache feeling it is the searing sick pain and i had to take pain med today. I am feeling pretty discouraged because i felt better last week than i do now! I am an experienced surgical patient too. This rehab is the hardest on me so far. Not sure why.

@leonberg Still early days for you! Please don't feel you need to push. There are no milestones for this recovery. If it hurts, back off. There is always another day!

The first few weeks of this surgery are terrible. It gets better but very, very slowly. If you push yourself, you can increase the inflammation and impede your progress.

I've been booted from PT (with specific instructions for the next two months) because I exceed the Medicare guidelines for coverage. I am six months out of surgery and I still use a TENS machine during the day and pop Tylenol at night for back & shoulder cramps that are beginning to resolve as the muscles strengthen.

It's a slow recovery but in a week, I'll wager you can do things (both exercises and around the house) that you can't do now. We're all pulling for you (at least, on the good side)!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HaiPao
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom