TKR More Nervous Than Last Time

hawk2go

Staff member since January 6, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
This is my other TKR and I find that although I know a lot more about what to expect, I am experiencing more anxiety. I expected this to be a calmer experience. My SO is experiencing more anxiety, too. It could be because of my general anxiety given the current events in the world. I've been trying more yoga and meditation.

Was anyone else more nervous the 2nd (or greater) time around? What did you do to resolve it?

Was anyone else more nervous the 2nd (or greater) time around? What did you do to resolve it?
This was me pre-op my second THR. Big time nervous and so stressed. I can't imagine dealing with this and the added stress of a global pandemic.

The only thing I found helped was coming here and posting. Otherwise it was head down the get on with it. In your heart you know all will be well. And we will be here for you again!

I was doing my pre-hab exercises this morning and realized I have pain in the right knee (especially since this is the pre-op period without NSAIDs) and zero pain the left knee. I became very present to the fact that next year this time, the odds are greatly in my favor that I will have no pain in either knee. Sticking with that realization. :yes!:

Well done - keep your eye on the prize @hawk2go ! I was SO happy when my second THR was done. No more bad hips to plan my life around.

I wasn't more nervous with the second but I did have my share of nerves. I think you're right that with everything going on that may be impacting your overall state of stress.

With my first knee I was so desperate to get it done, that tempered the nervousness a bit.
And like you, @hawk2go , knowing how good the result could be worked against the nerves with the second.

Last edited:
well, I've cleared everything - cardiac, COVID, labs - so it's a go at 5:30am tomorrow. No time for nerves now. Time for the road to NO PAIN!

@hawk2go best wishes tomorrow, I too am in PA with TKR scheduled for 10/11, preop is 9/15 but cardiologist has scheduled an echocardiogram for 9/18 due to abnormal EKG and heart murmur. Take care and see you on the otherside thank goodness for bonesmart and learning so much before.

I too am in PA with TKR scheduled for 10/11,
Good luck Jaspa! I hope you "ace" those tests. I'll be in the recovery room from now on ...

@hawk2go Good luck tomorrow! I'll be following you in about a week. See you on the other side.

I was def more nervous, remembering the first one. I looked for excuses to get out of it, but really the longer I waited the harder it would be on me and my spouse. I already had pre-existing sciatica on that side and IT band pain on the other, so PT has been a challenge.

If you have one good knee still, count your blessings.

Hi @hawk2go! Haven’t seen a recovery thread from you yet so just thought I’d see how you’re doing now, a month out?

I sure hope you are doing great, healing well, that all went well due your #2! I’m just 5 months out from mine and this one is healing so much faster!

Will follow to see if you jump back in here, for us to see how you are faring. Hope you are doing great!

Haven’t seen a recovery thread from you yet
Hi @BBCG, glad you found me. The right knee is outperforming the left's timeline and despite the pain/sleep challenges, it's better experience. I've had a few moments of buyer's remorse but as the pain subsides so do the doubts.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom