Questioning my decision

You'll will get varying opinions on shoes and clothes.
I used and continue to wear slip-ons. I like the ease of slip-ons and pretty much wear them all the time unless I'm wearing my athletic shoes.

The surgery center I went through requests you bring street clothes to put on before you leave the Recovery area and head to your room. Huh?!! :flabber: That's what I thought initially. Barring any complications, they release you within 24 hrs. I wasn't about to change several times before I went home so I bought some soft, lightweight yoga style pants to wear along with an oversized t-shirt.

I purposely bought black because I was NOT going to worry about wearing a stupid bra while I was feeling sorry for myself with a big gash in my leg :boohoo:
I wore the clothes to my room, slept in a recliner in them all night and wore them home, where I changed.
Brought extra underwear and a change of clothes to the surgery center in case of an accident.

Along with toothpaste, toothbrush and deodorant, that was it. Surgery center is across the street from a WalMart and I figured if I needed anything else I'd send hubs. And I did. I needed Lip Balm. I'd advise having some on hand.

Think big / slightly oversized and soft when deciding what to bring and wear in the early days of recovery. @Fiona444

@mainegirl1 that is a good idea re dresses. I hadnt even considered that or underwear. I am seeing the physio Monday so hoping they will give me an idea of what "tools" to get such as grabbers and shoe horns.

You might want to look at something called a sleeping bra, or what I call a “no bra bra”. I agree with Layla - the usual bra (even without wire) wouldn’t be on my list for post-surgery or early recovery days. But the sleeping bra is - for me anyway - more comfortable than going without and adds a necessary bit of modesty/privacy. And you absolutely can sleep in it!

I have over the head house dress along with hubby's draw string shorts. Slip on shoes are a must along with a grabber. I took a small tote bag tied it in front of my walker to carry drink bottle and snacks in. You will get creative in what you can get and do. Got a magazine holder by my recliner to put my puzzle books in along with sketch pad and end table for drawing supplies, tv remote etc. Setting up recliner so to see out the front window. Gotta watch the neighbor's. Also got a suction cup handle for shower stall. Going to set coffee maker by the sink for ease.

@Layla cannot believe they make you get dressed in recovery ! Black is a good idea too thank you!
Mine did too. The idea is not to make you dress or make life hard but to allow you to feel like a person in your own clothes. It lifted my spirits to put on my new shortie PJ's! Plus an hour later after getting to my room post TKR I was walking the hall.. Nice to feel like a real person and not a patient.

@julesglass I remember when I broke my leg and fractured my skull in a horseriding accident, I had a walker and tied a bag with my bits in it. Very useful. As I recall, I was pretty immobile for around 6 - 8 weeks. At that time I had no preparation as it was a sudden accident. This time will be better. Thanks for the ideas!

@mainegirl1 I take it they help you get dressed? Did you have a spinal? It seems that no one has GA anymore which I guess is a good thing. I am looking forward to getting myself some nice new pjs and I will definitely invest in a sleeping bra @Ptarmigan :)

My pre op appointment is tomorrow so D Day is getting scarily close. Is there any questions that I should ask as I dont think I will be seeing anyone else until 7.30 on operation day?

Hmmm...I think I brought some soft yoga pants, slip on shoes and a over-the-head tee-shirt for my trip home, @Fiona444 . Once I got home, I lived in loose flannel PJ bottoms and camisole tops (no bra). I don't think I wore any underwear until a week out, when my husband took me out to dinner. I wore the yoga pants, bra and yet another over-the-head tee-shirt. I also brought my Kindle, my cell phone and charger (I was so bored for awhile and in no pain so texting friends and family helped to pass the time), toothbrush and paste, hairbrush, lip balm and some moisturizer (sheesh, hospitals seem to have the driest air). Like many folks, I was only there for just over 24 hours so it really is just the minimum that you need to be comfortable. My husband helped me dress to leave, and I was so happy to be going home I am sure I'd have trundled out of there in a bathrobe if need be! I'm sure you'll get some directions from the hospital or OS staff about necessities to bring with you to the hospital..

@Fiona444

The staff at the hospital always is there when you are out of bed for fall prevention safety.. So yes I had help and was not just left in a restroom!
I had GA.. I have never had any issues with it.. I was in Recovery dressed for a while as my room was still occupied! So my family got Panera Bread take out and brought it to me in Recovery.. Cheddar Broccoli soup and chicken pesto sandwich. So good at 3pm as I hadn't eaten in 21 hours.

Definitely take some lol balm, they even mentioned that in my bone clinic the other day. They said to limit your electronics, guess some people bring really strange stuff. I'm taking my kindle and cell phone. They recommended elastic waist shorts and comfy t-shirt. They did say you will be walking the halls and doing coed PT, they want to get us up as soon as possible and dressed so we feel more like us and not a sick person. Plus they say the more you're up and about the quicker the anesthesia works out of your system. From everything I'm seeing I'm having GA which is not a real problem, I tend to deal with it fine.

Thanks Ladies, very helpful as ever!

My surgeon is telling me I will have a spinal. Did you have a choice of GA instead of spinal? If so I would be interested to know why you chose the GA route?

Thanks Ladies, very helpful as ever!

My surgeon is telling me I will have a spinal. Did you have a choice of GA instead of spinal? If so I would be interested to know why you chose the GA route?
This is a discussion between you and your surgeon.. I think I was offered the spinal but as I had seen some TKR's and knew the noise and the banging was carpentry I wanted to be sure I heard NONE of that.. Now I understand that those with a spinal are sedated and its not like you are conscious at all.. But I was equating a spinal with an epidural ( like during childbirth) and its not at all like that : I was wrong.
I have not had the anaesthesia meeting yet where the mode will come up.. Either is OK with me . But we are not all alike. Some suffer post GA. I eat.

I had GA for all my previous 3 joint replacements (last one in 2017) with no ill effects. I spoke to the anesthesiologist when I was in for the surgery in pre op and told him I cannot handle nausea and they all agreed they would make sure I had no nausea - they have meds they can give you while you are out. Their promises held true and I had no nausea and no issue coming out of anesthesia. I also reminded my surgeon that I do not like to feel nauseous just in case.

I was not given a choice for anesthesia and the decision was made by the surgeon and anesthesiologist and for someone who does not trust easily I went with it as long as they made sure of no nausea. Actually, before they took me to the operating room itself they push some lovely meds through the IV so that I do not even remember being rolled to the OR which for this kind of surgery is fine with me. I have worked in hospitals and seen these first hand as well as other surgeries like hip pinnings for fractures or rods being put in so it is not that I am squeamish in general but I decided for this to trust the best surgeon I found and go with his expertise. Sometimes it is better to give up a little control to get to the other side to regain ones mobility and choices.

Have faith that you have chosen a good surgeon and the hospital staff have tons of experience and proceed to a new and pain free life. Save the rest of your energy for recovery and your new life with no pain.

I also had GA with no side affects. I do remember being wheeled in. I see why it's referred to a theater. It was amazing to see however very cold ac, I asked for a blanket and went night night.

@Mojo333 love it! Was wrestling a cat and trying to type! :catbutterfly:

@Fiona444 wasn't given a choice in my previous surgeries and from the paperwork I received at pre-op looks the same. No problem usually wake up and want food and none of this liquid stuff! Only time I got sick was after the kidney stones, they basically said I had to eat before they would release me and it was as soon as I came out of recovery. Plus I think they over anesthetized me, that's what came up. Ewwww!
:eeeuw:

I am in the exact same mind-set that you are Fiona44! I will be walking and feel totally normal, and then I think "why on earth would I go in for a major surgery??". But I do have to admit that it's gotten much worse lately - it really is depressing to me and I feel like I'm just sliding down into this action (surgery) whether I want to, or not.
Sorry, I'm sure this response isn't very helpful - just the difficult way I've been feeling.

I didn't get a choice of anesthesia, @Fiona444. My OS said he does spinal/sedation so that's what I got. I was freaked out about the sedation, and one of my irrational pre-surgery fears was waking up in the middle of the surgery and hearing someone using a buzz saw or reamer to cut into my bones! I have had less than good experiences with sedation used for more minor procedures, where I've become wakeful before the end of the dang procedure, hearing things going on but not being able to move or say anything--horribly frightening. I obsessed about this horribly before surgery, and the morning I went in I was practically weeping by the time the anesthesiologist showed up. He listened patiently to my horror stories and assured me that, no, it was a deep sedation and I wouldn't be waking up. Sure enough, I was awake when they put in the spinal (which also, despite my fears to the contrary, didn't hurt at all--slight prick and that was it, followed by some weird tingly "shocks" in my legs and then--bam--I was out for the count! I woke up flat on my back, alert and feeling no pain as I assume they pumped a ton of painkillers into me before I woke up. I have no ill effects from GA, but I didn't get a choice and now, having experienced sedation/spinal with hip #1, I am perfectly comfortable having it again for hip #2. But, your OS will decide along with the anesthesiology team what will work best for YOU when you have the surgery.

Last edited:
Hi @Fiona444
I didn't have a choice. I experienced a Spinal and GA, which the anesthesiologist explained would be light. I trusted that they knew what they were doing and naturally they did.

I was wheeled into the OR, sat up as they administered the Spinal. They explained my legs would go numb and they did instantly it seemed, they laid me down and I watched a mask come down over my face and my last thought was to "just go with it" that was it...LIGHTS OUT.

Next realization I had was waking up in recovery, a little groggy but extremely happy it was over! All was well, no nausea, had an appetite, walked the hallway a few hours later.

No matter what's decided on you'll get through it and love the result of this life changing surgery.
I hope you have a great week! :wave:

That is a horror story and a half @Barbaraj !! And very scary. I am glad you were able to tell your doctors who put your mind at rest and did not let anything like that happen again. I do not feel scared about the spinal (I am scared of everything else but not that :loll:) I will take all their recommendations and go with them. I dont think I get sick with GA but when I was a kid I did once I think. I think you are all right, I need to put my trust in these guys. They know their craft and they want a good result as much as I do.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom