Questioning my decision

I am in the exact same mind-set that you are Fiona44! I will be walking and feel totally normal, and then I think "why on earth would I go in for a major surgery??". But I do have to admit that it's gotten much worse lately - it really is depressing to me and I feel like I'm just sliding down into this action (surgery) whether I want to, or not.
Sorry, I'm sure this response isn't very helpful - just the difficult way I've been feeling.

That is hugely helpful to know I am not the only one who feels this way. I am able to walk miles often but then I know how bad it can get when suddenly I am scared to put my foot down for fear of the shooting pains or I am struggling to get in the car or go up the stairs. It is not the same every day which is so confusing. Have you set your date?

All advice taken and sleeping bra's, soft joggers, slip on shoes, slippers, grabbers, ice packs x 3, loose soft pjs bought. I will be borrowing a higher chair and a long handled shoe horn. I have also bought new fresh bedding and pillows so my bed is nice and comfy and i have extra pillows to put my leg on. Is that it do you think?

Oh my, sounds like you're set! Now you need your favorite comfort treats. You know, chocolate, ice cream bars maybe some chips and favorite cool drinks.

Oh yes! I had forgotten about things like that!! I also need stuff to while away the boredom of recovery too. I fear I will struggle a bit. Are you getting very nervous yet @julesglass ? I am. My tummy is in a permanent knot

Sounds like you are pretty much all set!
I forgot to have some constipation remedies handy, so had to send hubby out for stool softeners...
I also got a few extra ice packs...they are our best friend.:ice:

Sounds as if you're as ready as you're going to be, @Fiona444 --the long waiting game is almost over. I hope you manage the next couple of weeks with as much courage, conviction and humor as you're able. I've still got 2 more months to slog through so a wee bit jealous of those with early July surgeries. Nobody, myself included every gets really "excited" about surgery, but having been through it once, and found it very manageable (if tedious at times--not used to being a slug for so long during recovery), I would gladly move my surgery up if I could. I'm on a cancellation list but at this point I'm not thinking that will happen. Anyway, keep your chin up!

Thank you @Barbaraj ! I can imagine how you feel. I am struggling and I have only been waiting for about a month. I only knew THR was on the cards since 2 May. I feel incredibly lucky that I have not been hanging around long but also worried as again today my hip feels good. I am so happy that you say its a manageable recovery. I have been reading some posts on facebook where folk have gone on to run again after THR and not too long into recovery either. I find that very encouraging as I used to run quite a lot with my dogs but had to give it up with my hip.

Well, @Fiona444, I am not a runner but I was definitely a bit of a gym rat, and once I got released back to PT at six weeks post-surgery I was all in! Very short visits to the gym for cardio happened shortly after that and while I admittedly haven't achieved my pre-surgical levels of exercise, due to this cranky left hip, I am expecting a full recovery from this second surgery with the possibility that two bionic hips will allow me to become more active going forward. You're going to do great, and I'm betting runs with your dogs will definitely be in your future.

aah celebrate the good days! You know what's up and that good days are a blessed gift.. Not a reason to doubt.. I too am having a good day . Yesterday was OK too but my nurse friend who had a hip done a couple of years ago said I was worse off then she was before surgery.. so I KNOW.
And they say knees are worse and my knee recovery was fine. I was back to my normal quite fast including a long road trip to Florida 26 hours during week 16. Yes I was driving most of it so that leg was always getting action.

@Barbaraj you have made me smile seeing the running with my dogs in my future :thankyou: What cardio do you do? Treadmill? Elliptical? I have not done any cardio other than walking up hills since 2016 when hip went south and I miss it.

@mainegirl1 another very encouraging recovery. Brilliant to hear thank you! Both you guys are being done on the same day. Great support for each other. The daft thing is that yesterday and friday were painful days. I did alot of walking Thursday and Friday and suffered from it (delighted I did it though) but I forget as soon as the pain goes and tell myself I am jumping the gun with THR :loll:My mind is a fickle thing

Oh @Fiona444 our minds are filled with trickery! I am thinking that I will be able to do chair exercises right away after THR. My amygdala wants to say just do that Silver Sneakers Balance class! (I am now and its kind of tough.. an hour of standing mostly too). My cerebrum says "WHAT?"

I am actually going to be older tan @Barbaraj Maybe.. I am three hours ahead of her but my surgery isn't till 10 am.. If she is an early bird she will be farther along than me.
I have never been a runner but I am looking forward to being able to chase my dog.. He loves tag!

Hi, @Fiona444--I generally use the elliptical at the gym, or sometimes the recumbent bike. Neither of them seem to worsen the hip pain, and both are fairly low impact. It's probably not the most effective cardio workout but I believe it's better than nothing. I think just doing something as you're able is key for a successful recovery. If you're still able to get out and take good walks, I'd say stick with what you know and love. I am definitely a "fair weather walker" so I know I'd never stick to a consistent schedule with that. Yes, I know I won't melt but not fan of wet walking. The advantage of the gym for me is that I have no excuses not to go (other than, "I don't wanna") so it's easier to drag myself there every other day than pretend I'll walk regularly.

@Fiona444 If you want to see anyone question her decision just look me up. I too had little pain or at least little perception of it because of conditioning and my first statement come out a general anesthetic was 'what have I done'. I am 3 weeks post op with a bilateral and am doing wonderfully. I am walking with a cane on certain days and have only ASA to take daily. I have little pain at all just stiffness because I am pushing myself. You have only to read many of the posts here and you will be able to feel confident in your decision.

That is great to hear that you are doing so well @mikeycat ! I love hearing the success stories but am painfully aware also of the ones that struggle. I really need to stop reading I think. I do not have pain all the time but when I do it reminds me that if I dont do this, pain will be likely be constant companion especially in the winter. I can still walk for miles. Today I walked about 5 miles and now hip is complaining a bit which is good because it reinforces why I am doing this. How much do you do now? Do you walk alot and far? I want to improve my fitness. I used to run until I couldnt because of OA/displaysia and various other issues with my hip.

Not nervous yet, more looking forward to it because I know what it means in the long run. Mowing my own yard, walking my dog and working in my shop. By spring I'll do some horse back riding. Nerves will kick in the week before. We've got this girl! :happyfeet:

Ahh I love your positivity Jules! I must admit I am nervous. I think the reality has hit me getting all my bits and bobs ready. I want it done though as I am constantly focussing on the damn thing :loll:

There are lots and lots of positive recovery stories on this forum, @Fiona444, and before surgery I tried to shy away from those who seemed to be struggling. Like everyone, I wanted to be one of the "easy peasy" folks who breezed through surgery and had a smooth recovery. And that's exactly what happened! You are young, I hope in good health and have a support system in place for your recovery. These weeks leading up to surgery are so tough, for everyone. But at the risk of sounding like a Pollyanna, I think it's important to stay as positive as you can, even on the bad days when your hip aches and you're feeling scared. It IS major surgery, but lots and lots of folks have the surgery and the vast majority have excellent results. Distract yourself a bit, if you're able--do you have friends or family that you can press into service to help you when you're feeling jittery? Can you tolerate sitting through a movie at the theatre or a movie rental at home? Something funny and light might work. Are you a reader? If you're still able to walk, get out there for some fresh air and sunshine! And do focus on what you'll be able to do next year when you're fully recovered, day dreaming about happier times ahead is a good way to go, just like @julesglass does. Tilt that chin up, slap a smile on your face and believe in yourself and your surgical team. You're going to do great!

You are so right @Barbaraj. I am very lucky, my husband is taking 2 weeks off after and my walking buddies have been great in keeping me active. I struggle to concentrate on films at the moment or reading but I am sure once home that will be my mainstay occupation and I am looking for books to read once Im done. I was sore yesterday which really helps to focus the mind on why I am doing this. Thank you for your wise words. I am in work today so that is always a distraction!

I think you'll do fine, @Fiona444, and, yes, mindless daytime TV will become your friend for a week or so. I wouldn't tackle "War and Peace" but if you've got any light novels lying around (friends' recommendations and the library) they might be manageable. I think it's quite possible you'll feel exhausted at first (I sure did) and have the attention span of a gnat, so having easy and not overly challenging activities to pass the time will help (think computer solitaire!) Plus, line up those walking buddies to come for short visits and maybe bring you a few treats. I also found that within a week I had major cabin fever and I got my husband to take me down to a local park where I slowly, and for brief periods of time, was able to hobble along on the paved walkways. Just getting out of the house for some fresh air and sunshine was such a mood booster.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom