TKR 2nd time around recovery

LaxMom

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi All! Setting up my recovery journal. Surgery is tomorrow morning at 7 am. Same day surgery with a Visionaire knee replacement. I will be home in the afternoon if all goes well. That sounds so odd to me. Feeling ready and looking forward to the new, healthy knee. I know there is a lot to go through first though.

Best wishes!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi all. I had my replacement at 7 am this morning and was back home by around noon. Overall this way of doing things does seem easier and I had a very good day one.

I had two episodes when I thought I was going to pass out. The worst one just happened. I sat in one place and had my husband get me juice. That helped. He then transferred me to a rolling office chair and wheeled me to the bed. I had a few crackers, took an anti-nausea med and am feeling better. I will definitely wake my husband if I need to go to the bathroom.

Beginning to feel more uncomfortable so I imagine whatever they injected into my knee is wearing off. Staying on top of the pain killers and using Alexa to remind me. PT comes tomorrow. One day at a time and being careful to not overdo.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Outpatient knee replacement surgery sounds awfully scary to me. I stayed two nights because of dizziness. Take it as easy as you can and don't let PT hurt you or cause you to hurt yourself.

@sistersinhim it was not so bad. I had to remind myself that day1 at home this time is like day 1 like the hospital last time. The nurse called me today and suggested more hydration and Gatorade. Today was way better. I just did the one PT session with my therapist, upped the pain meds and slept most of the day. Now,if I could only sleep at night!

For most people after this surgery, sleep at night is elusive for a time. It was great that you were able to sleep most of the day-even though you have your days and nights a bit catawampus right now, it will right itself eventually. Just grab whatever sleep you can, whenever you can. If you are up at night a lot, a good place to be is this site, reading and visiting the social room. I also binge watched a bunch of sitcoms-not only did they keep my mind occupied, they kept me laughing, which is important after this surgery.

I'm in agreement with @sistersinhim ; coming home a few hours after this surgery scares me too. That's the usual protocol these days for most people at the hospital where I had my surgery. Because I have other issues I stayed a full week after-that was a bit long, but necessary for me. For some people this new same-day surgery is perfect, while others need more time. I'm glad it worked out so well for you; as Dorothy said, "There's no place like home"!

If you haven't already, please read the articles Jockette left you, as you are able. My favorite one was the activity progression one; reading it every day helped me remember not to do too much, nor too little, at any given point in my recovery. Good luck and welcome to the other side! Please keep us posted on your progress, and if you have any questions, you know we're here for you. :)

Today is starting out good. I am sleeping on the first floor but climbed the stairs to take my first shower. It felt so good. Had breakfast and did PT. Now I am icing and elevating. Pain levels are good at the moment.

@lovetocookandsew i agree on the backward sleeping and I was a little scared about outpatient as well. My doctor also offers an inpatient surgery with 1-2 nights in the hospital. In 2014 when I did my other knee and hip, I was in pretty bad shape and would not have been a candidate for outpatient. This time around, I am thinner, healthier and more active - all making me a good candidate. What is different this time, besides the outpatient, is I had a spinal and conscious sedation rather than regular anesthesia. And, both the knee parts and surgical navigation were personalized and computerized, so smaller incision, and less soft tissue damage. I still have significant pain but I can already tell I feel way better that on day 3 the last time. We will see how this goes but so far so good.

I find my attitude is different this time also. I know it will all work out so I am more relaxed and taking things slow and steady. Last time I was most certainly trying to over achieve. Lol!

Another difference is I came home with leg pumps - like what they use in the hospital. I use these until my Coumadin levels are good and then stop. But the best part is - no surgical socks. Yay for that!

Another difference is I came home with leg pumps - like what they use in the hospital. I use these until my Coumadin levels are good and then stop. But the best part is - no surgical socks. Yay for that!
This sounds like a nice idea! Although, my surgical socks must have been a really good fit, they never bothered me and about a week and a half post op my dr said I could take them off.

@Jockette - last time around I did a hip and knee 5 weeks apart. I must have worn those darn socks for 12 weeks. I was so sick of them by the end!

Today is the 3rd day after my surgery. I slept most of the night last night with the exception of getting up for meds.

I’m using Alexa as a medication reminder. Today she will also start turning my bedside lamp on and off since it is hard to reach. How cool is technology?!?! Has anyone else tried this?

I had a VISIONAIRE knee replacement, which uses computer assistance and 3D printing. And I have to say I am impressed. Yesterday and today I was able to climb the stairs to the second floor to shower. I am also able to get on the recumbent bike and gently spin the wheel all the way around when the seat is in the furthest setting. And, most importantly, I have very little pain. This seems unbelievable to me. I went back and read my Bonesmart journal for my right knee in 2015 and I was not in this good a shape back then!

For meds, I am taking:
1 oxycodone every 5 hour
2 Tylenol every 6 hours
1 Celebrex in the morning
3 Mg Coumadin in the evening.

Tomorrow visiting PT will do a blood test for Coumadin levels. I am thinking of pulling my oxycodone back to one every 6 hours if I continue to feel good.

My one and only complaint - I am very gassy and passing loose stools every time I go to the bathroom. I took 2 Senna on 6/6 and had some dried prunes yesterday. I’m surprised to have this with oxycodone in my system. Any suggestions on if another medication is causing this and what to do?

Plan for the day is to try to get 3 sessions of PT in. Otherwise, will be icing, elevating and resting.

I'm happy you're doing so well!

Thanks for the feedback. I did 2 and a very small walk outside. Mostly icing and elevating.

Although yesterday was a great day, and very pain free, I spiked a 100.2F fever last evening. Got into bed, drank lots of fluids and took some Tylenol. Today it is lower, about 99. VNA comes in an hour so we will see what is up.

Pain level still good. My ice pump machine broke yesterday so icing is a challenge, back to old school ice bags until the replacement comes,which is unfortunate.

Less people watching over me this week so will be taking things very slow and careful.

Hi, glad all went well.
I got home yesterday. Spent an extra day in hospital. The pain meds they gave me the first 24 hours did not work. I kept telling them to give me tramacet like last time. When they switched meds it was like night and day. I'm sleeping and in so much less pain plus my head is clear. The stairs are not a problem. I definitely could not of come home day one.
Now to continue mending.
Glad I knew what to expect from last time.

So glad to hear from you @Sunnyo. I just read your post. Sounds like quite the ordeal but you seem to be taking it in stride.

I found stairs easy this time too.

I got a fever last night. Ugh! Drank water and worked on deep breaths. Hoping it straightens out today.

Sleep has not been my friend. But at least I can nap during the day.

I'm hoping you're feeling better today, and that your fever is gone. I'm sorry to hear your ice machine broke so soon; I had the same thing happen with all of mine, and using ice packs for a few days while waiting for replacements to arrive was no fun. Just out of curiosity, which brand ice machine do you have? I ask because I had DonJoy clear machines, which were wonderful when they worked, but none of those machines lasted very long at all. I went through either 3 or 4, or maybe even 5, different ones over the course of my last two surgeries, and even my OS had one that died well before it's time.

I'm glad you're spending time icing and elevating, it really does help with the pain and swelling.

Hi @lovetocookandsew - my unit was a Ossur Cold Rush Therapy System. The funny thing is, I had one from my son's ACL surgery back in 2015, but when I turned it on, it would not start so I bought the new one. Luckily, Amazon is taking the return and sending a new one, but not until 6/12. Oh how I miss it. They are not reliable (apparently!) but when they do work, it is amazing.

For me right now the main issue is swelling. I actually have very little pain. I am almost shocked by the lack of pain as compared to last time. But since I have none, I am slowly cutting back on the oxycodeine, which has so many nasty side effects anyway.

I saw PT today and told them about the fever. Good news is fever is gone and the incision area looks good, so no one is concerned. I have an emergency number to call if I get worried in the middle of the night. But, he assured me I did nothing wrong yesterday and actually have made great progress in my movement.

I forgot that surgeries always have their own unique twists and turns. But all is well. My sister has been her today, changing my bed, cooking me healthy food, and generally doing what needs doing, which is so nice.

Plan for the rest of the day is mostly to nap - while icing and elevating! :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean