Are long legs a negative?

tallguy79

Country
United States United States
I'm 6'6" and my legs are long even for that height. I'm also very thin with very little muscle. Will this make things harder for me post-op? I'm having an anterior approach so I will not have the precautions that some people have to deal with but i'm thinking it could still be a problem. Thoughts/suggestions?

Can't think of any reason why it would make things harder...
And if you need to get somewhere...with those long legs, less steps and get to bathroom quicker.
Make sure all needed aids like walker or cane ...toilet riser, etc...suit your height.

I read about "log leg" on here and thought that could be worse for me with an extra 6"-12" of leg compared to average person. I also thought it could be harder to get up from a seated position. Also more difficult to get on socks and shoes or get something from a lower level. In addition to being extremely long, my legs also are nearly without muscle.

Nope, not a bit of it! If you're fit and able now, you'll be fine for the recovery. Just remember our advice

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I had double hip replacement...one leg logged...one didn't...:shrug:hard to know if it will be an issue.
It's good to be prepared but will drive yourself nuts if you try to prepare all contingencies...then they don't happen.
I must admit I wasn't exactly the most prepared. I flew bet the seat of my pants and figured it out as I went...:umm:with lots of help from my friends here on the forum.
My guess is you are going to do great.:)
I've actually been told that folks who are extremely muscular can have it worse as they have to get through all that to put in prosthetic.
Do you have a surgery date yet?

We will add it to your signature for you.
I'm not sure what led to your upcoming hip replacement, but even if at age 53 I was shocked that was the remedy for my pain.
I would imagine you are anxious.
If your life is as restricted and painful as mine has become, you will be ever so glad you will get your life back.
Ask all the questions you want, no dumb questions here and there are lots of members here to give great advice and comfort.:ok:

A little over a year ago I had an accident at work where I fell several feet onto cement and suffered a displaced fracture of my femoral neck. Had surgery with 3 large screws put in to put bone back in place. During rehab the screws came out too far and when the bone finally healed enough after four months, I had to have a second surgery to take the screws out.

Even though the pain never went away I went back to manual labor work and worked through the pain. In early March the pain started getting really bad. I went to the doctor and they ordered an MRI. The MRI showed rather significant avascular necrosis(AVN). Doctor said only solution is THR.

It's been a tough 13 months of constant pain. Hopefully this will make the pain better after a few months. Concerned if I will ever be able to go back to my hard labor job. I am 6'6" and need to be able to get down low enough to lift a 47 pound box from 3" off the ground up onto another pallet a few dozen times a day in addition to thousands of pounds of lighter boxes.

this will make the pain better after a few months.
It will most likely make that hip pain better immediately! I was amazed. Of course there is recovery pain, incision and quads and so forth...and that lasts more than a few months, or did for me, but hip pain gone!:happyfeet:

Concerned if I will ever be able to go back to my hard labor job. I am 6'6" and need to be able to get down low enough to lift a 47 pound box from 3" off the ground up onto another pallet a few dozen times a day in addition to thousands of pounds of lighter boxes.
This will have to be determined probably.
I can and do this now on some days...I manage Food Bank ...but it has taken time to get there.
I'd say your age is definitely a plus.
:yes:

The MRI showed rather significant avascular necrosis(AVN). Doctor said only solution is THR.
Sadly this is the inevitable outcome for a failed fractured neck of femur. Seen it a couple of hundred times in my career! Most screw fixations of fractured NOF are really only two stage hip replacements.
I am 6'6" and need to be able to get down low enough to lift a 47 pound box from 3" off the ground up onto another pallet a few dozen times a day
My gosh! Don't you have fork lift trucks or grabbers? I worked in Occupational Health in a variety of environments including construction and our HSE (Health and Safety Executive - a Government body) have strict rules about how much can be lifted like that. Especially repetitive. If I found a firm that was violating these laws I would be required to report it to the HSE and they would most likely end up getting fined!

I just got back from joint camp where they went over everything we need to know ahead of surgery and in the days after surgery. They sound like they plan on aggressive PT from the start. They say it is proven to be the best course of action. This site seems to say less is more. I'm confused. They said before surgery we should try to do exercises, after surgery we WILL do every exercise multiple times a day with PT. They said if we are at a 6 in pain they will still push us a little further. A little concerned but what do I do?

I think they told you a lot of rubbish. I was seen by PT only once to go over exercises to do at home, which I eased into doing over a few days. I went home the day after surgery and never went to outpatient PT and had a great result by just walking and doing some at home exercises as I felt able. They want you to push through pain at level 6 just after surgery? That's crazy.

This class was given by the people who are actually in charge of the hospitals nurse and PT teams. They plan to have me do all the exercises 3 times a day while in the hospital and for the first two weeks at home with an at home therapist. Then I would go to outpatient PT twice a week. They said it will be painful but has to be done. They will push until it hurts then push a little further. Doesn't sound good to me but I would guess worker's comp won't pay if I don't follow their plans for recovery.

@tallguy79 I think that sounds awful! As you say, the advice given by experts on this forum are to do very little, to let the hip heal after all the trauma....I'm nearly 7 weeks out and that's what I've been doing.....just a little walking round the house/shops, and haven't done the exercises on the sheet given to me by the hospital. Over here there is very little physical therapy set up for you afterwards....I've been given the details of a 'joint class' at a local physiotherapy clinic, but it's totally up to me to go or not. I can happily report I have virtually no pain, can go up and down stairs numerous times a day, and am now walking without support .....not miles and miles but enough for everyday. I have booked an assessment tomorrow with a physio to see if I have any nasty little habits, and if she says anything interesting I'll post.

Surely you have the right to say no, they can't penalise you for not wanting to hurt yourself? I would talk to my surgeon and see what his take is on this.....can't think he'd want his hard work jeopardised by overenthuisiastic PTs!

First off I don't think the long legs will be an issue, but on the other hand what choice is there? You've got them already!
My OS wanted PT done only by the patient at home, basically simple stretches and movements most lying in bed. Logic is applied that if it hurts. don't do it. His opinion was that outside PT's would hurt you more than help you. I did my basic PT as outlined to me and we had a PT class the day after surgery. I've been in this body all of my life so I had a good idea what was helping and what was hurting.
As far as the heavy manual labor goes, that will be up to you and your recovery.

Hey @tallguy79
:tada:

You all set and ready to get rid of that horrid hip pain?
I know how anxious I was, but am ever so grateful for this life changing surgery.

Hey @tallguy79
:tada:

You all set and ready to get rid of that horrid hip pain?
I know how anxious I was, but am ever so grateful for this life changing surgery.

I am going to be thoughly worn out by the time I go into surgery. Trying to get my body and house ready for surgery while also working full time. Live alone so I have to do nearly everything myself.

Dont worry... you will figure some things out by neccessity. Get some quick heat em and eat ems and lots of fruit like grapes.
Bring that dorky huge hospital sippy cup home, great for not having to refill for half a day.
We will be here to keep you company. Hope you might have someone to check on you for the first few days...

I don't want you to think I am making light of your situation, but this is what is going to give you your life back.
Try to think positive :friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties