THR exercises for hip post 8 weeks<

antiphonal

Country
United States United States
I will be post 8 weeks for THR left side this week. I am 61. I have been visiting the pool for my own therapy doing walking and kicking as well as squats and practicing sitting, standing and abductor kicks. I am spending about ½ hour in the water.

I am experiencing pain in the upper front part of the hip. I walk without the cane with a big limp and experience pain at the end of the step. Pain is worse now than at 6 weeks before I began working out in the pool. My goal was to walk to the doctors next week without my cane.

I teach marching band and camp starts next week. Will I be able to go back to work and teach marching band?

Welcome to BoneSmart!
doing walking and kicking as well as squats and practicing sitting, standing and abductor kicks. I am spending about 1/2 hour in the water.
Way too much - your poor hip is just not liking all that activity. And to be honest, it is just not necessary.
Pain is worse now than at 6 weeks before I began working out in the pool.
Big clue in your post - before all that therapy you were recovering well. Now you are hurting.

I would suggest stopping all this and going back to basics. Ice and elevate. If you want to exercise - walking is the best for a new hip.
Will I be able to go back to work and teach marching band?
Doesn't sound like you are ready to be on your feet for any length of time. And I don't think you will be able to teach marching with a cane. Best to scale back now and get this recovery on track again.

Here are some articles that may give you some guidance:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I agree with Jaycey 100%!

Could you tell me the site of your pain using this chart, please?

exercises for hip post 8 weeks<

I have developed pain in the same place. I hope you have some ideas Josephine! All PT does is have me stretch doing a lunge but that hurts my knees.

I'm definitely not a "medical" person but I can say that my OS told me the same thing that Josephine did and that is that we don't need PT for our hips to recover. They will do just fine on their own. I did very little PT, do a little walking, and am on my feet a lot around the house and garden and I have no pain other than a little stiffness when I stand after sitting for a bit. My OS said that stiffness is still from my body healing. I keep getting a little more range of motion back and all is well. I know we are all different with recovery times though. I'm sure Josephine will know what is causing your pain and have the right answers for you.

I will tag her for you so she sees your response @Josephine

Yes! The pain in the front is a bump that is a little swollen. It feels like needles and pinches and it is a little bruised.
It is a little below the fold of my joint and I did notice a small vein that was now a lot more visible towards the surface than before.

The back central buttock area feels like I am sitting on a rock! It just plain hurts when I sit or put pressure on that side.

Are there stretches or something I need to do for these? I notice when I walk, I have trouble finishing the end of the step. When my leg is in the back and my heel is lifting and toe is still on the floor, leg is extended. I have pain as the leg is stretched.

I have taken your advice and been icing and resting more. But I have no choice but to return to work next week with the marching band. I really dont know how I will manage it. or be safe. I have my final 6 week dr appointment thursday.

thank you for your help

@antiphonal I agree with @Jaycey and @Josephine. If it hurts while you do it, or afterwards: don't do it.

Under no circumstances should you climb any of those towers. Put a camera up there:smile2: Also, I found that excessive heat makes me miserable, and my 8-weeks is Thursday. Take an umbrella and drink lots of fluids.

I am an ex, first-chair trombonist. We know everything.

Ps I love your handle.

Thank you! Lots of water yes yes! Its 110! I was just doing some planning and think I am going to have to stay indoors more than I want or am used to. I am still getting quite tired after walks and housework. So band camp from 8 am to 8 pm for two straight weeks is going to be a struggle, in South Carolina heat and humidity.

We don't have a tower, just scaffolding and a band trailer that I usually climb, so that is out of the question. Just will have to teach from the ground but not while the kids are moving! Getting hit and knocked down would not be a good thing. This is really a tough choice for me because staying home is the whole season for the band, and I just can't bring myself to do that. I have young staffers who can help but will need watched and helped, especially on hot long days. I am not looking forward to the the next few weeks, which was why I was trying to work to excess I think on the workouts in the first place. PANIC. So I will have to remember to take it easy.

From trumpet to trombone player...us brass players are pretty hard headed...

I looked up ITB band and the Bursitis... ICE and stretches are recommended, but I am confused because the stretches look restricted in movement......I will ask the Doc Thursday.

Thanks for your support

Yes! The pain in the front is a bump that is a little swollen. It feels like needles and pinches and it is a little bruised.
Well that is most definitely Piriformis syndrome - very nasty
The back central buttock area feels like I am sitting on a rock! It just plain hurts when I sit or put pressure on that side.
Describes it perfectly!
It is a little below the fold of my joint and I did notice a small vein that was now a lot more visible towards the surface than before.
That is inconsequential.
But I have no choice but to return to work next week with the marching band. I really don't know how I will manage it. or be safe.
Yes you do! If you had a road accident or something similar, you wouldn't have a choice then either. You have GOT to put yourself first. You're going to pay for it big time if you don't.
I looked up ITB band and the Bursitis... ICE and stretches are recommended, but I am confused because the stretches look restricted in movement
They look like that but they're actually not. These, for ITB issues, are quite safe

For piriformis, it's this

But what ever you do, don't do this one

You could also get some therapy from a chiropractor

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla