Guest viewing is limited

TKR and Snowboarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

new member
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
2
Location
United States
I have used the search function to get some information regarding my quesiton but still have a question. It seems folks have returned to snowboarding after TKR with sucess which is great....I am wondering how folks who have had both knees done have fared returning to snowboarding.

My girlfriend has aggressive arthritus and at the age of 51 had two partial replacements done. They worked great. Four months later climbed a 5000 ft mtn (probably not the smartest) and returned to snowboarding the following winter. The partials have been excellent for snowboarding, but at the end of last winter the bone spurs started to flare up again. In June she had both of them cleaned out, one has come back well, the other not so well. Of course her muscle mass in the legs has depleted due to the lack of exercise due to pain and limited motion. She has gone to PT religously. She is physically fit in general, slim and not over weight. The pain has started to wear on her and has not subsided. Her OS has always said her knees are about as bad as they get and wanted to do a full on one in the beginning...... She is young, active and loves snowboarding more than anything. Spending 50-75 days a year on the hill. She is very smooth, one of the smoothest riders you will ever see. She stays off the nasty bumpy icey terrain becasue she knows she can't do it. No jumping......etc. Except for the fact it would take shakles and chains to keep her off the board she is conscious of her knees and trying to be nice to them (at least on the snowboard).

After all my rambling I am wondering how folks with TWO TKRs have fared snowboarding. I am a skier, and in my opinion snowboarding would be better for someone with TKRs

Thanks in advance
 
Skigirl (Kelly) is the one to best answer this:D

She's had both knees done and is a ski-instructor.

No doubt she'll be along in due course.
 
I agree. Kelly was the first one I thought of too. I'm sure she can give you some advice. I'd agree there is less torque on the knees with boarding because both feet are strapped into one board. I tried it several years ago and ....well, it was quite the entertainment for everyone on the slope that day!

Sandy
 
I'll tag Kelly so that she sees this thread. I agree that she would be a good person to respond. @skigirl:
 
I'm sure she will be along soon....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom