• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Two down, none to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's hoping the Consultant can find some answers for you pal

Legin THR Sep 14

Pain came back. Next appointment is this Tuesday.
Unfortunately it will take a few sessions before you see any steady relief. Keep at the appointments and do let the osteopath know when your pain returned.

@Granny Di I had great results with my osteo treatments. Hope you find someone.

Hi @DebraR did you have this pain before you had the left hip done or is this new ?

@Jaycey You are right, the fact that I saw some results after one treatment has got to be a good sign. I will hang in there, I have to be patient!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Kim22 this is new. Shortly after I had the right one done in March, the left one started to give me problems. By problems I mean osteoarthritis hip pain. So I was recovering from the right hip surgery on a bad left leg. After my right one started to get a little stronger, I ended up using the right one (operated one) much more. In fact for going up the stairs and things like that I was leading with the right leg. And I never had this pain. It started I would say three weeks after I had the left hip done. Weird!

@DebraR It would probably be a good idea to ask Josephine for some advice regarding your right leg

Finally got the call for PT at the hospital. PT thinks that the pain in right leg is coming from my back. Because my moth hips are still so week and range of motion not good, all the stress is on my back. She told me not to sit more than 15 minutes without getting up and doing a backbend. Backbends after any forward bending movements also. And physio twice a week and then reassess in a month. Off to the osteopath now-will tell him what PT said and see what he thinks. Believe now I should go only to PT, but let's see what he says!

Great news @DebraR as you now have a plan to build up those weak muscles and stretch your back.I hope the physio goes well.What did the osteopath say ?

@Kim22 yes I'm happy about the PT. I am conflicted though because the osteopath has a different opinion than the PT as to what is causing the pain in my right leg. They both said, separately, that is not a good idea to see two different professionals at the same time, I guess especially since they have different different opinions as to the source of my pain. The osteopath thinks it originates from my esophagus and that my pelvis is torqued and may very well have caused my osteoarthritis. The PT thinks it is coming from my lower back. I wouldn't of started treatments with two different professionals if it hadn't taken so long for the PT program to start. So I took the appointment with the osteopath. Then the next day the PT called me. I would like to keep see both of them - PT twice a week and osteopath once a week. Is this ok?

Hard decision to make @DebrR. I'm thinking you won't know what is working if you do have improvement . I think I might stick to one and if there is no improvement try the other. AS I said I have found working on a very straight posture is working for me to get rid of back pain and pain down my good leg.
Just my humble opinion. Others may have better advice.
Di

@DebraR I don't think that I could advise you on this one Debra except to agree with @Granny Di that if you do both then you won't know which is the one that helped you.My surgeon advised me to stop all physio and exercises until at least 3 months and just to walk to build up the muscles for recovery.His reasons were that hip replacement patients who just walk recover just as well as those that do exercises and therefore why risk an injury in the early weeks.I do see a chiropractor but he told me he wouldn't see me until 3 months at the earliest as the only thing I needed in the first 3 months was rest and some walking.I do think @Jaycey would be able to advice you as she has mentioned seeing an osteopath

I would like to keep see both of them - PT twice a week and osteopath once a week. Is this ok?
Well I saw PT and an osteopath at the same time. PT was to build core stability and osteo was to address my lower back pain. If you feel OK about seeing both I would go for it. Not sure why either would object. Just give it a go and see if things improve.

@Granny Di I have decided to keep seeing both the osteopath and the physiotherapist. They are working on different things so think it's okay. I agree with you that the taller I stand (and tighten my core) the pain is less.

@Kim22 Thanks for your post. I went to the PT today and feel so much better! I did 10 minutes on a stationary bike, leg presses and other exercises. I feel that that leg pain will go away as my hips are strengthened. The pain happens suddenly and then goes away. It happened when I was doing bridges, so will not do those until this resolves. I have faith in the osteopathic treatments as well, so will continue and see if that helps.

@Jaycey I will continue to see both, as like you said, they are addressing different issues. And I think I need both. Nice to hear that you saw both!

It happened when I was doing bridges, so will not do those until this resolves.
If you have any lower back issues bridges are tough. I agree - wait for this exercise. You need good core stability to do this right plus strength in your legs. Bit early yet.

So I recently went to see my GP and he agreed with the osteopath's assessment. So, for now, I gave stopped my physio and give the osteopathic treatments a fair try. My GP also said to ice 4 times a day and if not better in a month, to go back and see the surgeon. My next osteo appointment is this Wednesday. Anxious to see if these treatments will work.

@DebraR and @Granny Di hope this finds both of you doing well. I have missed talking to you. Debra I think of you often and hope the issues are starting to resolve. Recovery is a slow journey. I imagine you have snow Diane. So jealous,.warmest it has ever been here. Take care and Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020