Bilateral THR Supersub’s recovery

Supersub

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
All went well with the op Surgeon happy with how it went. Been a bit sick and dizzy but getting IV fluids and anti sickness medication. Not been up yet as spinal block has not full worn off. N pain so far (must be good meds). Just enjoying the rest and some coffee and toast

Welcome to the Healing side, @Supersub! Get some rest.

I will leave you our recovery guidelines below to read when you feel up to it.

Here our BoneSmart's Hip Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Good nutrition is very important during recovery:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Enjoy the good meds while they last and get some rest! It’s gonna be hard for a while and then the winding uphill journey starts…

Welcome! Happy healing, we are here once your journey begins to support you if you have any questions and/or concerns.

Congrats and Best Wishes!
Thanks for the update. I hope you'll share more in the days and weeks to come. :wave:
@Supersub

Day 3 in hospital. I can get about independently on a walking frame and will try crutches this afternoon. I can dress and toilet independently. Still in a lot of pain and need help getting back into bed though I now have a leg lifter to help with that. It’s been so emotionally and physically draining. I thought I knew all about fatigue from before my op. Depending how the crutches go today I might get home, more likely tomorrow. My care has been excellent. Thanks for checking in on me.

Hi Supersub,
Glad you're getting great care. It sounds like you're off to a good start...except for the pain. I hope they get that under control for you before you're discharged for home.
Safe travels home tomorrow. I think you'll rest better in your recovery nest in your own space. Stay in touch!
@Supersub

I’m staying in hospital till tomorrow (Saturday). My haemoglobin level has been low and dropping in the days since th op so if that doesn’t improve tomorrow I’ll get a blood transfusion and they’ll allow me to go home after that. I’ve graduated to crutches and used them safely on stairs and for getting around the ward. Just remembering another wise poster’s advice that this wee setback is temporary. I’ll be home soon in what you @Layla beautifully described as a recovery nest

@Supersub I had a very similar situation after my BTHR -- the blood transfusion did remedy the problem! So yes just a temporary wee setback. :flwrysmile:

I don't know if you've said whether you have had any previous surgery, but I wanted to chime in to say - get used to that fatigue! It does hang around (in my experience) and can get downright depressing especially as you start feeling healed in the hip but are still……so darned wiped out. You are much younger than me, perhaps that will work in your favor, but I recall just getting so frustrated cause I thought I was 'better,' but would still just be flattened by exhaustion. Which for me would lead to feeling depressed. Fortunately that would lift by the next day, but then it was rinse-repeat: a day where I'd think Ahhh! I really feel better. Then try to have a somewhat normal day (not major over-doing) and the exhaustion would hit again. The worse was my recent surgery (early December) for a fall and displaced humerus. 8 screws and a rod later, I was 'on the mend,' but the extreme fatigue lasted almost a full three months.

So my message is just: tired goes with the territory and maybe for a good deal longer than you think it should. Just give over, rest whever you feel tired. It WILL pass and you will be 'you' again………….it just may take longer than you think it should.

Thanks for your perspective @Arjay. No, I haven’t had surgery before and had been fatigued for so long pre-op I thought I would be used to it. But it’s totally different. The smallest things take huge effort. I’ve had a blood transfusion and I’m still to find out whether it’s been a success in boosting my haemoglobin levels. Staying longer in hospital than I anticipated has, however, made me realise something important. I want a good and successful recovery, not a quick one. It is frustrating being here when I want to be home but it’s temporary. I’m sleeping when I can and resting when I can’t sleep. I felt a bit more ‘me’ at times yesterday. I’m in this for the long haul. Thanks. I’ll post when I have any updates.

Your body has been through a lot. :console2:
I want a good and successful recovery, not a quick one.
Good for you. Slow and steady will get you there.
Safe travels home, if you're still at your surgery site. Let us know how you're doing once you're settled in.
Sending love and hugs! :loveshwr:

Yes, that is an outstanding line/perspective to take! I kinda think every one of us 'veterans' is guilty of trying to hurry things along, pushing it and then…paying the price. It is so easy, as you get a couple weeks along, to have a good day and think - hurrah! I am healed! Only to discover by the end of the day, or the next morning…uh, no…disregard. So absolutely, keep being good to yourself and rest/nap/rest….repeat!

I got home yesterday and it’s wonderful being back in my own wee place. But it brings new challenges too - how and where to sit comfortably, negotiating stairs, getting into and out of bed, not having morphine on tap. I also have a really unpleasant potassium supplement to take :no-fin:
I am so grateful for everyone’s perspectives and support. Being home is another learning curve and I’m so lucky my husband works from home and can help me. I slept far longer last night than I had in hospital which was amazing but lying in the same position for a longer period left me feeling sorer. I’ve started icing now :ice:
Here’s to my 1 week surgery anniversary and starting the 2nd week of my recovery journey.
Love and thanks to all

Hi my fellow Both at Once pal.:wave:
The first weeks can be bumpy, but I'm glad you are home where you can get more comfy and do what you need to do when you need to do it.
The too much sitting/laying in one position makes you sore issue.... yeah, I remember.
Too much up and about....same.:nah:
Up...down....try to readjust to nest.... repeat was my deal for a while.

I found it was Just Like That ...for a while but All Temporary became my mantra and it was all worth the aggravation and recovery discomfort.
My bad hips made sleep almost impossible so sleep was a big thing to me.
Unfortunately, it was a bit before I got good consecutive hours of uninterrupted sleep.
Drink lots of fluids...then you have the "gotta get up to pee right when I got comfy" thing... Ice, Ice, Ice as much as you can (make sure you protect your skin) and know things are going to get lots better.
Healing hugs:ice::flwrysmile::ice:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Happy2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom