• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bilateral THR Supersub’s recovery

Hello and thank you @Mojo333. Your All Temporary mantra has served me so well already, especially when I felt so down about my hospital discharge being delayed.
I’m sitting icing out in the garden enjoying a lovely spring afternoon and readying myself to go and fill up my water bottle to keep those fluids up.
Your advice and support have been so valuable

Hello. Where has the time gone? The last few days have passed in a blur of trying to find the “right” balance of walking (on crutches), exercise/movement, standing, sitting, rest and sleep. I now realise there is no right answer, it’s just whatever gets you through the day and night. Some days (like today) featured more sitting/lying/resting. Probably because the day before had a bit too much walking and standing.
I’m still learning.
I only sleep in chunks of about an hour, day or night, but I can move and readjust my pillows and position without having to wake my husband, for which he is very grateful. I’m still finding it hard to rely on others to do so much for me - cooking, dishes, cleaning, all that fun stuff. But I’m grateful to have people around who can help.
My ankles are still very swollen and I’m still making lots more trips to the toilet than my healthy water intake would indicate. Is that still a post surgical fluid thing? Neither are a problem or uncomfortable, just something I thought would have settled down a bit by now. I’ll ask when I’m at the nurse on Tuesday.
I’ve been icing less the last couple of days because it makes me cold and I hate being cold. But I’m back doing it again because I know it’s needed. I might just have to add a hot water bottle to hug to make me more comfortable.

I now realise there is no right answer, it’s just whatever gets you through the day and night.
Exactly right! Listen to your body; it's in charge!

I’m still making lots more trips to the toilet than my healthy water intake would indicate. Is that still a post surgical fluid thing?
Yes. Everyone complains about this! Your medications may also be impacting it as well. (It took me 3 weeks to get back to "normal." )

I’ve been icing less the last couple of days because it makes me cold and I hate being cold. But I’m back doing it again because I know it’s needed. I might just have to add a hot water bottle to hug to make me more comfortable.
I can completely relate this this. I had my last surgery in mid- December and felt cold all the time. I used an oversized microwaveable heat wrap around my shoulders to offset the icing. I must have looked silly, but it worked! :heehee:

17 days post op (I think) and I thought I’d add an update and a wee bit of background info about me as my previous posts were on the pre-op side.
I had my bilateral THR on my 51st birthday - a tremendous and long-awaited present! My husband has been fantastic helping me, my teenage son and daughter have also done their bit, with more eye rolling and sighing :heehee: I’m not a fitness fan or sporty really but have a very active job in a children’s nursery that involves lots of lifting, running, crawling, shifting furniture etc so that certainly kept my step count up before surgery even though I was limping and exhausted. I’m hoping to have the energy to get back to some fitness, maybe cycling, gym, Zumba, walking football or walking netball when I’m more fully recovered.

My recovery is going well. I’m able to do a bit more each day and have been walking further each day with my crutches. I’m using paracetamol for pain relief.
I’m still struggling with only being able to lie pretty much one way in bed at night. Makes me like a grumpy toddler at times. But it’s all temporary, right? :bored:
I was at the nurse to have my dressings changed and suture ends trimmed this week. She was buzzing with excitement at getting to see bilateral scars as she’d never encountered them before. She was amazed by the job my surgeon has done. I had no idea how it should look (bit squeamish tbh) so I’ll take her word for it. I had bloods taken to check if my potassium and haemoglobin levels have recovered.
I’m just going to keep very gradually increasing my walking and see how it goes. We’ve had some nice spring weather this week which has helped with getting out and about.

@Supersub Brava! It is wonderful to hear that you are doing well and have a good support system ( I bet you'd get eye rolls and sighs even if you were not recuperating - that's teenagers for you). And belated Happy Birthday! :flwrysmile:

Newly healing incisions can look pretty gruesome but rest assured they do fade down to thin white lines. I can barely find mine any more :snork:

( I bet you'd get eye rolls and sighs even if you were not recuperating - that's teenagers for you).
So true!
Thank you for the encouragement!

a very active job in a children’s nursery that involves lots of lifting, running, crawling, shifting furniture etc
My daughter has worked in a similar setting and from what I've seen there, I suspect your job gives you more of a workout than you'd get at the gym!

Glad to read your recovery is going well. Do keep us posted.

Supersub Glad to hear your recovery is going well…, enjoy the warmer weather , its great to get out of the house and enjoy the fresh air
Hopefully you will be able to lay on your sides soon. It takes a bit of time , but its worth periodically testing to see how it feels . I was able to lay on one hip comfortably before the other hip was ready. And what a relief to get off the back for awhile !!!
Wishing you tons of recovery progress!!

It’s now 3 weeks since my bilateral THR. The time has flown and dragged - how can that be? :shrug:

Anyway, since I last updated you all I joined the ODIC. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I thought I was Wonder Woman and walked too far on Friday and did too much about the house including changing my bedding. Silly me! Paid for it on Saturday, spending most of the day in bed.
I’ve been trying to ease myself back to “normal” since then but I’m finding it really tough. Probably having a touch of post op blues too, not helped by an unrelated health issue which I could really do without just now.

I’m getting a bit confused about whether I should be doing the exercises the hospital physio gave me. I had scaled them down to once a day as the advice here seems to be no PT, just walking. These aren’t exercises with resistance bands or any weights, just sitting, lying and standing exercises mobilising the hip in different ways. But is walking alone enough to give the joint/muscles the rehab or movement they need? Or should I do exercises too? I was advised to do them three times a day. I’ve had too much time on my own and have been overthinking a lot! :bored:

The other thing I’ve been wondering about is my wound. The dressing was changed after week 1 and week 2. Should I be taking the dressing off now and let it continue to heal uncovered? Or keep the dressing on a while longer? I’m tempted to keep it covered so don’t know whether to replace the dressing. So many questions - again too much time rummaging around in the dusty corners of my own head.

With that all said, looking back, it’s amazing to see how far I’ve come. I don’t need pain relief very often (occasional paracetamol) and I ice when I need to. I’m able to do more for myself, I can make a meal, move about the house, walk outside for short periods. But I also feel sort of stuck in a rut. I realise the recovery for bilateral bumps along the bottom of the graph for a good few weeks before slowly moving up. I guess I’m just impatient to get the old me back.

Thanks for reading this long old ramble. And yes, I do remember that important mantra, it’s all temporary :)

I'm going to let you in on a little secret, we've all joined the ODIC & some of us more than once!
It's very easy to get discouraged during a recovery that can take longer than we expect, especially when you have type of personality that is in go-go mode.
I had to learn to just give in to it after awhile & now I'm totally fine & can do everything I once loved & enjoyed.
In the beginning months I'd get up, make a loose plan for my day & then see what "the hip" allowed & was willing to come along. If I couldn't do everything I'd go relax, elevate, ice & try again to finish next day. Not my personality, trust me. I'm one that likes to accomplish tasks I have on my schedule.
But now my stamina has returned & I can do everything on my "to do" list!
You will get there, a little patience...I wish you the best.

@Supersub It is very easy to join the ODIC - and as said above everyone does join at some point. Give yourself a pat on the back for recognizing this and taking it easy. And another big pat on the back - you are healing well from having 2 MAJOR surgeries done at the same surgical session!!! As for the bandages - ask your surgeon or his nurse about taking them off - I'm trying to recall how long I had to keep mine on .... but that detail from 12+ years ago has gone walkabout. I think mine stayed on "until they fall off".

Fatigue will be with you for quite a while yet - it takes lots of energy to heal from any surgery .... and even more energy to heal from 2! I had "nap attacks" for about 6 months after my BTHR.

As for the exercises - yes I would continue to do them - even if only once a day - the motions needed to walk and climb stairs are only some of the movements that hips typically do - there is also getting each foot onto the opposite knee, arranging legs for a GYN exam, etc. And those simple hospital exercises will help with those motions.

And the "stuck in a rut" feeling is normal too! Recuperation can be boring!! Maybe arrange for a friend or 2 to come by for a visit, find a new TV series to enjoy, or ??? Your "old" self - which before this surgery included very painful hips, reduced activities, and other not normal things - that old self is NOT coming back. The new normal when healing is done is going to be soooo much better! Embrace the new normal!

@Supersub It is very easy to join the ODIC - and as said above everyone does join at some point. Give yourself a pat on the back for recognizing this and taking it easy. And another big pat on the back - you are healing well from having 2 MAJOR surgeries done at the same surgical session!!! As for the bandages - ask your surgeon or his nurse about taking them off - I'm trying to recall how long I had to keep mine on .... but that detail from 12+ years ago has gone walkabout. I think mine stayed on "until they fall off".

Fatigue will be with you for quite a while yet - it takes lots of energy to heal from any surgery .... and even more energy to heal from 2! I had "nap attacks" for about 6 months after my BTHR.

As for the exercises - yes I would continue to do them - even if only once a day - the motions needed to walk and climb stairs are only some of the movements that hips typically do - there is also getting each foot onto the opposite knee, arranging legs for a GYN exam, etc. And those simple hospital exercises will help with those motions.

And the "stuck in a rut" feeling is normal too! Recuperation can be boring!! Maybe arrange for a friend or 2 to come by for a visit, find a new TV series to enjoy, or ??? Your "old" self - which before this surgery included very painful hips, reduced activities, and other not normal things - that old self is NOT coming back. The new normal when healing is done is going to be soooo much better! Embrace the new normal!
Thank you very much for this. The new improved Me v2.0 upgrade is downloading and will take time to install :heehee:
I did think it made sense to continue the exercises for the very reasons you describe but wanted to check. And I think I’m also of a mind to keep the dressing on until it comes off.
You’re right, I was also bored and lonely. The sun making a welcome reappearance here today has helped lift my spirits. I’ve done some exercises, a walk outside, chatted to a neighbour, had regular wee walks inside, made dinner, had a nap and a sit outside in the sun watching the birds. I think that’s reset me again. Might try some TV or a book this evening.

Thanks for your kindness and thoughtful responses @djklaugh and @myglasshalffull :)

Hi Supersub, absolutely … recovery gets dull n boring…ive been reading , its a great way to get off your feet and relax!! I also had questions about the bandages. I was on the 5 day changes, question thePA on 2nd change. He told air would be good for the incision , but if i felt more comfortable it was ok to reapply bandages. Had a bit of scabbing, and i was able to sleep on my sides , i opted to keep them on an additional week Glad your rocovery is going well !!!!

As far as PT goes, I followed every letter when I had my knee replacements, and I think that caused more swelling than necessary. For this new joint I looked at the PT sheet and said "ankle pumps are a good idea. And this exercise will really help and is just a little uncomfortable, so I'll do this one. That one hurts, maybe next week," I'll just keep reevaluating as I heal.

You’re right, I was also bored and lonely. The sun making a welcome reappearance here today has helped lift my spirits. I’ve done some exercises, a walk outside, chatted to a neighbour, had regular wee walks inside, made dinner, had a nap and a sit outside in the sun watching the birds. I think that’s reset me again. Might try some TV or a book this evening.
I find that being a bit isolated really affects my mood. I've been working to reach out to my online friends to get in social interaction.
Also, a funny story for you. My knee replacements were done in serial. The first in July, the second in September. The first few weeks were awful, as knees are, and tv was fine. I was pretty out of it. But then I got to the point where I was too alert for more TV, but not enough to follow a good book. I was bored out of my mind! So I reached out to a friend and she helped me get set up with knitting, which I'd never even tried before. And I learned to knit all through August, and in late September when I was bored again, I had something sedentary but productive to do.

And now I'm knitting on a blanket for my sister! lol

@luvcats Knitting is a great suggestion. I’ve knitted on and off since I was a child. Great excuse to treat myself to new yarn.
And sounds like a very sensible approach to PT. I did two sets of my exercises today and a walk and I think that was enough but not too much. See how I feel in the morning. Thanks again

Hi Supersub, absolutely … recovery gets dull n boring…ive been reading , it’s a great way to get off your feet and relax!! I also had questions about the bandages. I was on the 5 day changes, question thePA on 2nd change. He told air would be good for the incision , but if i felt more comfortable it was ok to reapply bandages. Had a bit of scabbing, and i was able to sleep on my sides , i opted to keep them on an additional week Glad your rocovery is going well !!!!
Thanks. I’ve been reading. I seem to be able to concentrate on that but not on TV. Or maybe I tend to read in bed and find that more comfortable than sitting in an armchair to watch telly.
I’m going to keep the dressing on a while longer and if it comes loose I’ll see how the wound looks and then judge if it still needs covered.
I did try to see if I could manoeuvre on to either side last night in bed and it was a very definite no. Or not yet anyway. Thanks for your input.

Do any UK-based forum members have experience in requesting sick notes/fit notes from their GP?
I was given an initial three-week note on discharge from hospital that I was not fit to work. It runs out tomorrow so I need to request another one from my GP. I don’t see my OS until early June.
The surgeon said pre and post op that I would be off for 12 weeks and then a phased return.
Should I request up to the 12week mark? Or ask for 4 weeks by which point I will have seen my surgeon? Or does it not matter as the GP will decide what they feel is appropriate? Argggggh!
Too much time on my own makes me overthink! I’d appreciate anyone’s experience. Thanks

Hi Supersub,
I am going to tag my colleague @EalingGran and see if she is able to advise you...

I hope you're having a nice weekend so far. Are you in a location that enjoyed a display of the Northern Lights Friday evening? I missed out but viewed a spectacular array of images online of shots taken from my location, and read there may be another opportunity to take it in this evening. Hard for me to stay awake that late, lol.

I hope you have a great Sunday!
@Supersub

Hi Supersub,
I am going to tag my colleague @EalingGran and see if she is able to advise you...

I hope you're having a nice weekend so far. Are you in a location that enjoyed a display of the Northern Lights Friday evening? I missed out but viewed a spectacular array of images online of shots taken from my location, and read there may be another opportunity to take it in this evening. Hard for me to stay awake that late, lol.

I hope you have a great Sunday!
@Supersub
Thank you @Layla. I appreciate you tagging your colleague.
I’ve had a lovely weekend, thanks. It was a privilege to see the northern lights. Worth staying up late for! Attached is a pic of my daughter enjoying the light show. Hope you’re having a good weekend

Attachments

• Supersub’s recovery
    IMG_2383.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 9

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads