Spinal block or GA? only 5 sleeps....eeeekkk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilly

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi everyone,

Only 5 sleeps to go and I'm trying to decide whether to have spinal block or GA...I'm really scared out about being put to sleep (scared out about all of it to be honest, it's been a long year). I have a phobia that I may not wake up. With the spinal block/sedation, do you hear what's going on or are you sedated enough not to know what's happening? Advise from others would be appreciated...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi--allI know is that my OS prefers GA because the body relaxes more, making his job easier, I guess? I have had GA five times in 30+ years and have never not woken up :lol:

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

For my RTHR 9 weeks ago I had a spinal with sedation. I don't even remember getting the spinal! I slept through the whole surgery, and woke up in recovery feeling wonderful! I had no "groggy, fuzzy" feeling that I would had if I had a general, plus it helped with pain control. My Mom has had two hips done and had a spinal with both, she was aware of the "noises" during surgery but they did let her take a iPod nano with headphones into her surgery to help block out the noise.

RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015

My husband thought I was off my mind wanting a spinal - his comment, 'knock me out with a GA!'

But I gave strict instructions to my Anaethetist that I didn't want to hear, see, smell anything.. He gave me some happy juice prior to going into theatre, I sat on the edge of the OR table, I asked could he let me know when he was going to do the spinal - he said "all done! - we will lay you down now"... Voila that was it! I wouldn't
not hesitate to have it for my second THR whenever!

I expected to have a spinal because I have asthma and sleep apnoea, but my anaesthetist said he'd prefer to go for a GA as it was more controllable and he'd be able to bring me round faster after the op.,which would help my breathing. I had no intention of arguing with him and it worked like a dream.
Another patient on the same ward as me had a spinal and discovered an unpleasant side-effect- temporary incontinence, before the numbness wears off. It had never occurred to me that that was a possibility.

It is often the preference of the anesthetist and surgeon and various other general heal issues of the patient which dictates the type of anesthetic :)

Thanks everyone,

Appreciate your comments. I am sure come Monday it will be sorted by then...This is such a stressful time for me. I cannot wait till its all over....

Hi @Gilly To be honest the waiting is the worst bit of it all!!
I had spinal/ sedation....it was great...when the anaesthetist asked if I wanted to be aware at all.....I told him " no way" ..."knock me out"! I did come around about 10 minutes before the finish, they told me a joke and put me out again. Never felt or heard anything untoward at all...promise!
The up side of the spinal is that I was walking by 6.30 in the evening & had no problems with with going to the loo either!
Wishing you well for your op on Monday....will keep an eye out for your recovery posts...Chrissie x

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I opted for spinal but wasnt allowed as I have psoriasis on my back tut

Legin THR Sep 14

I'm really scared out about being put to sleep (scared out about all of it to be honest, it's been a long year). I have a phobia that I may not wake up.
You may be surprised to learn that almost everybody else has that fear. It's very, very common and natural.
With the spinal block/sedation, do you hear what's going on or are you sedated enough not to know what's happening?
It varies. The anaesthetist can give you enough to ensure you know nothing from the moment he does the spinal until you wake up in recovery, wonderfully pain free! However, they can also give a very mild sedation where you can respond to questions but will know nothing about it. In both these situations, you will retain your cough and swallowing reflexes. Or they can give you nothing and allow you to enjoy the wonders of the surgery you are about to undergo! I wouldn't recommend that though - movie tough guy Michael Douglas chose to stay awake and rumour has it, he had such bad nightmares afterwards, he needed therapy to get over the PTSD!

Michael Douglas.JPG

I spent years helping with spinals and always said that if anyone every wanted to give me a spinal, they'd have to catch me first! However, when it came to it, I meekly complied like everyone else. The anaesthetist asked me if I had any 'last requests' (it's okay, we worked together for years!) and I told him I wanted to not see anything from the time of the spinal to recovery and he was as good as his word. In my case, it wasn't that I was particularly scared, but having been a theatre (OR) manager for years, was really anxious I'd see somebody do something I didn't approve of and I'd have nightmares about it afterwards! I was also frightened if I did see something that even verged on bad practice, I'd be shouting irate orders about it!

As a point of note, when you have a GA, you don't have that wonderful painfree-ness afterwards! I'm having a spinal again next time! And a femoral block too please, waiter!

Love reading all your comments, cheers everyone...

4 sleeps now....Needs to be over and done with...:loll:

Hi @Gilly . I was just thinking that you are just a few sleeps away from your big day and thought I would give you a little encouragement. I can imagine you are getting very excited and nervous - hang in there. You will be on the other side soon and that pain will be gone, it is an amazing feeling. What approach will you be having?

@Gilly I had spinal with both my THRs and would not have it any other way. GA makes me very groggy and nauseous. With a spinal you are in a nice comfy place and wake up very alert and aware. As Jo says, you have the added benefit of pain relief for several hours post op as well.

All the best on Monday!

@NuMe2014 I'm not sure what approach I am having but only 2 more sleeps very teary & anxious. I was up at 2am with my tummy churning away. Thanks for thinking of me and wishing me well, I appreciate it. Love all your advise, this is such a great website....

You will be fine my friend. This is the worst part. Once you are at the hospital staff will do all they can to help you through the nerves. Keep coming here and keep posting. It does help!

@Jaycey thanks so much, the nerves are high but I need to get this done and get my life back...Any advice on the length of time you need to be tell me on crutches for?

Any advice on the length of time you need to be tell me on crutches for?
Everyone is different. I was on one crutch for about 5-6 weeks following my first THR. This time I only used a cane and at 6 weeks I don't need it anymore. It depends on how strong that op leg is and how you heal. Don't worry, it's only a matter of weeks for a life time of pain free living!

On both my BTKR and LHR I had spinal block and the Michael Jackson "MILK". I went to sleep like a baby and woke up and it was over. Heard nothing... I actually had nice dreams during the hip surgery! No headache, hangover or grogginess -- just clear headed and felt great. With my hip replacement I went to a cane the first week... by the second week I really did not need anything. Everyone will be different, but, for me the hip replacement was a breeze! I am on week 6 and never would know I had it done except for having no pain now:yahoo: Joan:SUNsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom