Slightly daunted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slainte

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Scheduled for RTKR July 9. So far have seen my primary care doctor for medical clearance, done a two day nuclear cardiac scan for cardiac clearance, had an MRI so my OS could plan the insertion of my nifty Stryker Triathlon knee, and today I completed the pre-admission testing at the hospital. This consisted of a urine culture, some blood drawn, and a nasal swab to test for MRSA. It was no fun getting a Qtip jammed up each nostril.
Yesterday an athletic trainer brought an electrical muscle stimulater to my office. My OS had prescribed it, and the trainer showed me how to apply the pads around my quads and then turn up the juice. It made my muscles contract. That was a weird feeling. I am supposed to do this three times a day for 20 minutes each time. Anyone else use this?
I am expecting delivery of the CPM machine my OS has also prescribed. Have read here that some docs no longer use them, but my sister swore hers helped a lot, so am glad to have it.
Went to ebay and got a couple of Don joy iceman coolers, one with a universal pad and one with an XL back pad. Much cheaper than retail, but we will see if they work! Stopped taking my baby aspirin, my fish oil, and my Osteo Biflex, as the nurse today told me that all will interfere with blood clotting. I am not really worried about the surgery or the recovery. It will hurt some, but it hurts now! I am ready to work hard and diligently to make my new knee as wonderful as possible. I went snorkeling for scallops last weekend, and man it was hard walking into shore in the mucky bay bottom. Next year it will be better! Looking forward to sharing experience with my fellow July Sparklers!

Sounds like you are mentally and physically prepared for your upcoming surgery! Good for you. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We're here for you.

Welcome -- yes you are ready, this is probably a good time for you to read this article :)

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Sounds like you're in good hands, @Slainte!

...hoping I don't lay awake wondering why I wasn't tested for MSRA during my PCP (primary care provider) clearance. Maybe they're saving that for the pre-op... hmmm.

Sarah Jane

I think the MRSA test is done more to protect your fellow inpatients than to protect you. But I understand about the lying awake and wondering! Hard to turn off our worry machines in the still of the night.
My protocol also calls for me to put clean sheets on my bed the day before my surgery and to shower with hibiclens the night before the procedure. The nurse told me to make sure I then wear a clean nightgown. The next morning I am to take another shower with the hibiclens. She said not to shave my legs or my underarms for 3 days before the surgery. I think I need to make a reminder chart. Here we go, @SarahJane!

Sounds like you're ready. Be prepared for some of that hard work to be forcing yourself to rest, ice, and elevate.

Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

@Slainte My doctor seems to be using the exact same protocol. I am scheduled for 0730am and am supposed to shower with Hibiclens the night before and the day of also.

@Slainte my OS used the same protocol...and hubby after reading the directions decided to sleep on the downstairs couch because he didn't want to contaminate me!

sent from my Galaxy 4

@Slainte - I'm scheduled July 13.. right behind you. Wishing you all the best! I know "it will all work out".. Went through Pre-op this AM and am scheduled for a Pre-op physical therapy session next Wednesday.. Then they will call me Thursday or Friday before surgery for final instructions... Hadn't been told about the "clean sheets", but I'll add that to the list. :yes: And hadn't heard anything about the electrical muscle stimulator. I'll have to ask about that! Mine will be computer navigated, and I'll be going home the same day. Hmmmm.. this will all be a "learning opportunity".... and I'm sure it will "all work out". :yes!:

@tigz that is so thoughtful of your husband! Mine usually ends up on a couch in our bedroom that is more comfy to a bad hip that he denies exists. I hope he will consider hip replacement if I can demonstrate that joint replacement works.
@Braunzie you will be going home the same day?!?! I was told to expect to be in the hospital two to three nights. I asked if I would have a private room and the admissions nurse told me it was just luck of the draw. Would be nice to not have to worry about disturbing a roommate, but I will take my earplugs and eye mask just in case I need quiet and darkness. Will use the earplugs in any case - hospitals
are noisy places at night.

Earplugs and mask are a good idea. The time spent in hospital is purely on the surgeon's preference. Some like an overnight stay, some a few days, some even send their patients home the same day!

@Slainte I wasn't told that about sheets either but I was planning to do it right before my surgery so they'd be clean when i got home!! ok clean nightgown - check!! I didn't have a MRSA test either. My urine test showed infection so I just finished up with a round of antibiotics and had to retest so hopefully all is well there. I will have a private room because where I am going the floor is all for Joint replacement and they are all private rooms so I am happy about that!! wow 3 days no shaving - I won't like that!! I know mine said something about shaving in the paperwork I will have to go revisit. So many things to think about!!

@Braunzie how did I miss that you were going home the same day? MMMMMM that would be a little scary for me but I know you are on a special "plan" so I am sure the doctor's know what they are doing!! I am going to be in for 3/4 days - but I guess I am also doing BTKR.

When this surgery was scheduled in early June, the days seemed to drag by. Now that it is only 5 days away the time is zipping by and I am not ready! I went online today and took advantage of some July 4th sales to buy some clothes I can go back to work in. I have been reading every recovery thread to help know how best to prepare, and one of the common themes is low energy. I am slated to go back to work 3 1/2 weeks after the surgery, and it just occurred to me that I usually wear dress pants. Those will not work with a swollen knee. Plus I plan to close my office door and put my leg right up on my desk to ice and elevate, and I need stretchy, comfy clothes. Thank goodness palazzo pants are in style. In one of the other threads the writer said that her husband told her she looked like she was wearing pajamas, and she replied that he did not know fashion. I will have to educate my coworkers about fashion immediately! And have my back-to-work clothes planned out for the first week.

Wow, @Slainte - going back to work after 3.5 weeks seems WAY too fast! I just got the paperwork that has me returning after 9 weeks, and I think THAT is fast... I generally wear jeans to work - very casual work environment.. Didn't think about that until you mentioned figuring out what to wear when you go back to work.. I've been looking for shorts to wear around the house while recovering.. hahaha.. THAT won't work for going back to work! We'll have to see how that goes..

@iivesfam5 - Didn't know for sure I was going to be outpatient until my pre-op. The surgeon gave me the choice. He says about 1/3 of the folks go home the same day.. We are only about 20 mins from the hospital, so I feel pretty good just going home and recovering there.. I'll let you know after the fact if that was a good idea or not.. we'll see.. :what:

@Braunzie I think it might be too fast as well, but I will just try to do my best. I do the billing and the payroll for my company and the owner tells me she is coming to my house with her laptop the week after my RTKR and we will do it together! I love her to death, and she and I will make it work. As long as I can stay awake.:mcoffee:

Not only is energy level a problem, but concentration and focus are typical problems. I was trying to write lesson plans for my substitute weeks 2 and 3, but found it difficult to focus for a whole hour. I had to enter grades into my computer grade book, so I had to time my meds just right to allow myself to do that close work perfectly. @JennyLynne returned to work early with good success. I planned on taking 8 weeks but due to complications ended up taking 12 weeks, then going back to school part time. Even at 12 weeks I was coming home and napping/icing every afternoon.

I don't see anyway you can return to work after 3 1/2 weeks. You'll be lucky to be driving by then not to mention still needing to use pain meds. This is a serious surgery that requires a long time to recover from and if you try to rush it you'll end up hurting yourself. Is it possible to train someone else to do your job before your surgery?

Hi @Slainte -- 3.5 weeks to return to work... I hope you are considering a phased return rather than jumping in full time sweetie. Did you get time to read the article Improvided about the timeframes for healing? I feel concerned with such an early return. I went back to work on a phased return at 7 weeks and found it very difficult to concentrate :)

3.5 weeks is much too early to return to work. You could slow down your recovery by doing this.
Phased return to work
I do the billing and the payroll for my company and the owner tells me she is coming to my house with her laptop the week after my RTKR and we will do it together!
The week after your TKR, you will still be mostly resting and sleeping. You will have no energy and you will have brain fog.

I'm sorry, but I think that you and your boss both need a reality check. Do realise that you are going to have very major surgery and that you will not bounce back quickly. Please read this, to see what level of activity you should be having at various stages of your recovery:
Activity progression for TKRs

Last edited by a moderator:
Please talk with your doctor about your return-to-work plan. You'll still be doing PT and almost surely still on pain pills, at least at night. I had pretty fast recoveries, but not driving. You'll need enough bend in your knee to get in and out of the driver's seat -- and have enough strength/agility to move your foot off the gas & press down on the brake quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti