• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR New Member Providing My Thoughts

Music_Man

Country
United States United States
Hi to all. It was a pleasure finding this forum. I've been a forum user mainly for hobbies forever (well it seems that way).

A 3-wheel rollator became my friend about 6-years ago (I don't leave home without it!:thud:).

I initially put the Rollator to use because of lumbar spinal stenosis. But the hip pain kicked-in (no pun) shortly thereafter. With my maternal grandma, father and sister having severe hip problems, I suppose genetics weren’t my friend.

For several years the spine pain was worse than the hips. But over the last year or so, that has changed. My hips are now worse.

From experience, knowing that chronic pain is pain, no matter where it's at, my hip and spine were compatible pain wise (as funny as that may sound). Alleviate the pain in one, or two areas and the pain would still exist. So, I put-off spine and hip surgery for far too long!

On a recent visit to a hip surgeon, his P/A was first-in the room. While looking at my X-rays, the P/A said my hips are "atrocious"! Of course that wasn't news to me. Film at 11:00 wasn't necessary.:shrug: Both hips grind and sound like the gears in a 1964 stick-shift Plymouth, I once owned!

My last visit to the neurologist suggested that my hips should come before my spine because my hips and poor gait could be exacerbating my spine pain. Also, THR is more likely to remedy pain than spinal surgery is.

In fact, a joint replacement orthopedist actually told me a few months ago: "don't get spine surgery to relieve pain, it doesn't work"! He may be more correct than not. But I also know and believe otherwise from the evidence of friends.

At any rate, I'm 74 and am tired of being mostly house bound and in severe pain whenever I'm upright!

Unfortunately, my family's medical experiences have been bad to horrific!

For starters, in 2010, I had gallbladder removal surgery. Just after recovery, jaundice ensued. An ERCP was performed. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography sometimes causes Pancreatitis and yup, you guessed, it did. I was told it was touch-n-go for a while. I spent two-weeks hospitalized in excruciating pain. Being drugged and out of it, with two tubes down my nose, I remember little. But my bride of over 40-years, spent 24/7 with me and was able to fill-in some of the gaps -- mainly the loopy funny ones, much to my chagrin (ha).

Three-years later, sadly, my 56-year old sister passed in her sleep 12-hours after being released from the hospital following elective THR. The educated guess is a PE (Pulmonary Embolism) or DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) took my dear sister's life. My bro-in-law chose not to have a postmortem performed. So, we will never know.

Similarly and in 2010, but not so devastatingly, my wife had a kidney removed when it didn't need to be...sigh!!:censored:

Prior to the complete kidney removal, a biopsy was done. Cancer with a Furman grade of 4 (the worst) was assigned by the hospital's pathology group. A 2nd. pathological opinion was obtained from a local supposed high-quality physician teaching university hospital. They too said cancer, but said it was a bit worse than the 1st. pathology dept. (go figure)!:what: So, the kidney was removed with post haste, because of the suppsed Grade of 4!

Later, it took Mayo Clinic to get it correct -- after 4-months of anguishing worry -- no, nada Cancer & both other pathologist's concured with Mayo! But the kidney was gone and now there was worry about kidney failure, until thankfully, the one kidney sized itself to take care of its new load!

Lesson learned, 1 or 2 pathology reports aren't enough! And Murphy's Law is alive and well!! But I digress.

These experiences have made me more than a little “gun shy” as in surgical roulette shy.

However, positive experiences abound and by a large margin exceed the negative.

For example, my dad had elective and succesful THR over 40-years ago on one hip. Yeah, 280 years in dog years.:) My 85+ year old uncle had open heart valve repacement with spendid results. A friend recently whose mom just turned 90 advised that his mom had 1 hip and the other replaced 3-months later. 15-years later, she is doing just great! Another good friend's wife had 2-THR's several years ago and yep, she did just great. A cousin's wife had one hip done several years ago and all is well...and so it goes!!! So, fingers crossed, hopefully the same will be true for all of us going forward.

However, as I’m sure many, if not most here, don’t want to do: I don’t really want to play the surgical roulette game either. But we're here contemplating surgery, to ease pain and enhance our quality of life and in my case to stay out of a wheelchair. With an appointment this coming Friday, I have yet to schedule surgery. I remain sweating bullets as to whether I will or won't!:chinstroke::sigh:

However, I just discovered that my surgical appointment is with a surgeon who doesn't utilize a robotic (Mako) process. That has me a bit concerned. My initial findings and technical background, suggest that if the process is more beneficial than not, then why not go with it as a choice?

Yet, the Mako tool would seem to add precision & more exacting repeatability to a task that would benefit from it. Particularly, if long term results were advantageous. With a start-up cost of around $3-million and $1-million per year thereafter, I must wonder if that's what is keeping other surgeons from jumping on-board the Mako "train". Or are they so surgically adept that it wouldn't be a prudent tool and aid? Is money the preventing factor, or is robot assistance considered a hindrance, more than a benefit? Or does the surgeon not want to learn another technique, because they’re comfortable doing what they’ve learned?

During Covid, the mantra of follow the science was everywhere. Yet, those parioting it, didn't have a clue about what science is, or the hurdles to jump in properly instituting and controlling the scientific method. Causality is one of the most difficult events to prove with a 95% level of confidence. There are few certainties and those that are present, are subject to change!

Science is a continum, not an end. Line-up 100's scientists, medical professionals et al. and many conclusions about the same subject will abound. Wanting to believe that isn't fact, won't make it one! My expert's opinon trumps your expert's opinion...I will see your bet and raise you...well you get it! 99 may be wrong and 1 correct, or vice versa. Different day, different conclusion.

It isn't prudent or beneficial to accept any one concluson, or a specific group's conclusion about science or medicine. But if you do, keep an open mind for new information; of which reading between the lines is a must or both counts -- for the old and the new information. A yea or nay without the specific data to justify either, is worth about as much as the U.S. paid Russia for Alaska, compared to its strategic and natural resource value today. ‘

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

Be that as it may, it seems that like the THR approach, direct anterior, or mini-posterior, results good, bad or otherwise, are primarily driven by the hand holding the scalple and their experience and expertise wielding the tools of their trade.

From a patient’s perspective, I want the most precise and adept surgery from an expert surgeon as possible! Whatever makes a good, adept, experienced high volume surgeon a better one, that would be my druthers.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Music_Man :welome:I'm glad you found us. No matter what we are dealing with in life, sometimes in our search for the concrete guarantee, we fall into the trap of over analysis-paralysis. Granted, your life experiences have contributed to a certain amount of gun-shyness on your part. I can truly relate as can many of our members. I think the most telling comments you made were of being "housebound and in severe pain whenever upright" and surgery "to ease pain and enhance our quality of life and in my case to stay out of a wheelchair." These are exactly what THR is about: ease pain, making our world bigger again, and taking our lives back. Are there risks? Of course! Almost everything in life has risks. It is that other game we play: risk versus payoff.

You seem to be at the point where most of us were when we had our THR: no other way out of our pain and severe limitations. The point now is to find a surgeon who is experienced, has great outcomes, and with whom you are comfortable. If you decide that it is in your best interest to proceed, the rest tends to take care of itself. It can be scary but the payoff is really more life changing than most of us could have imagined. Best wishes on your upcoming appointment. Keep us posted on what you decide.

In the meantime, I will leave you with some of our pre-op guidelines to peruse.

HIP PRE-OP GUIDELINES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at stories of amazing hip recoveries

Hi Music Man :wave:Welcome to BoneSmart!
We certainly encourage people to post concerns, seek advice and share thoughts or info here. That's what the forum is all about. Your thread will be a great point of reference should you experience THR. Many members will read your posts, but I worry other's may pass on by, due to sheer volume and miss any relevant insights you share. Personally, I find lengthy posts difficult to navigate on a good day and a definite pass on the days I'm really pressed for time and have the attention span of a gnat. :wink:

My concern is that if you have a question, or issue buried within....it may not be addressed. If you're keeping your thread as a record of your journey to THR and you're not concerned with feedback or responses, I'd say it's okay. I'd suggest that if you have a specific question, you begin the post with that information, affording yourself the best chance to receive feedback.

Schedule the surgery if you need it. Housebound and in pain while upright is not living your best life. We're all as young as we'll ever be and most in the best health we'll ever be.
Live and enjoy life now, you deserve it! :) We'll be your biggest cheerleaders. That's a promise!

Thanks for joining us, Music Man! I hope you have a wonderful day and weekend!

Thanks for you kind comments Hip4life and Layla. While I wasn’t particularly happy that part of my submittal was truncated, I understand the explanation provided and obviously bow to this site moderator(s) decision.

I had a visit with a 3rd. THR surgeon today. The 3rd. time is the charm (as is said)! My surgery is scheduled in 6-weeks. The pre-op Internist visit is scheduled in approx. 2-weeks.

The THR approach will be the direct anterior.

Prior to a visit with the pre-op doc, the surgeon is planning surgery as an out-patient.

My right hip will be first. The cartilage in both hips has long gone and both hips are calcified. On X-ray, the right is the worst, so it will be the first-up on the operating table. The 2nd. hip will follow in is little as 6-weeks.

My surgeon will be Joshua Carter, MD who is in the Indianapolis, IN area.

Doctor Carter, his staff and the facility were the best we visited. Amazingly, Dr. Carter’s Google reviews total 273. This is a very large sample size, with the more the better, when it comes to assessing review validity and separating the chaff from the wheat (so to speak).

Star ratings in reviews are somewhat meaningful. Dr. Carter’s is a 5-out-of-5. However, the comments tell the tale, not stars. Amazon reviews are a good case in point. Almost in every review, one sees a review citing shipping damage…huh and why!.:what: That 1-star because of shipping damage is meaningless to someone interested in the product & its characteristics. That’s like giving a doctor a 1-star review, because it was raining the day of your visit and you got wet.:shrug:

When looking at reviews I first sort on the most recent &/or the lowest. In Dr. Carters case, the lowest reviews were 4-stars and there were only 6 of those (out-of 273)! More importantly, the comments posted for those 6 reviews, were outstanding! Why the 4 stat vs a 5? Who knows; perhaps they were hard graders & nothing but (list your deity of choice here) is perfect.:chinstroke:

At any rate, my self-proclaimed "Septonic Man" colleague & friend who has had 7-joint replacements [both shoulders, hips & knees (with the 7th. being a knee revision)], had his most recent knee surgery by Dr. Carter. My friend who has achieved frequent flyer joint replacement status, convinced me to add Dr. Carter to my prospective surgeon short list and I'm glad I did!

Additionally, while sitting in the car waiting to go-in to the joint replacement center, we had the windows down. Two couples happened to walk-out “singing” the Center’s and Dr. Carter’s praises. We spoke to the couple that parked next to us. We learned that driving from a city 70-miles away, the husband was there for his 2-week THR follow-up. Both husband and wife were extremely, extremely complimentary about the entire process!!

Thus, I feel as comfortable as I can be with my decision. In fact, after thinking about it for years and even more in the last 6-months, finally making a decision is a significant mental load-off. I have finally been able to move from analysis paralysis to making a decision! Needless to say, my dear 56-year old sister’s passing,12-hours after being released from the hospital following her elective THR 11-years ago, has weighed heavily on my decision making.

My age of 74, relatively good health now, won’t stay that way forever. And as the doctor explained, once one’s hips get to my point, the worse the bone loss becomes and the more difficult the repair. So, as an elder engineer once sagely advised, "sometimes you just have to shoot the engineer and ship the product". Or, put more crudely, it was time to :censored:, or get off the pot.

Going into the process I’m as informed as I believe I can be. This alone is a plus. Hopefully, all will go well.

Last edited:
Ugh! I am so sorry to read about your precious sister. :console2:My sincere condolences. I am sure you miss here terribly even though many years have passed.

On a lighter note...I am excited for you! You're going to love the results and likely wonder why you waited so long.
I feel as comfortable as I can be with my decision. In fact, after thinking about it for years and even more in the last 6-months, finally making a decision is a significant mental load-off.
I can relate! Scheduling that appointment was a relief and I consoled myself with the escape clause that I could cancel at any time knowing full well that I wouldn't, just to start the miserable process of anxiety all over again.
You're going to love your new hips and LIFE! :yahoo:I look forward to following your journey!

If you have a date...please share and we'll create a signature for you.

I can relate! Scheduling that appointment was a relief and I consoled myself with the escape clause that I could cancel at any time knowing full well that I wouldn't, just to start the miserable process of anxiety all over again.
The human experience is indeed a shared one isn't it!?! I have considered the "escape clause" as you cited.

In fact, just to make the Dr. appointment and then to get my rear there, I went to the Doc today thinking: OK, I don't need to commit to anything. Or even if I do commit, I can cite the "escape clause". But again as you, I won't; because I don't want to:

start the miserable process of anxiety all over again.:thud:

A couple recent occurrences helped push me along:

The first, was a friend who was in town to celebrate his mom's 90th. birthday. He advised that she had both hips replaced approx. 15 years ago to great effect. I thought well if this nonagenarian (now), when she was a septuagenarian, could step into the deep-end (as it were), as a septuagenarian, why not I?!? I've also had many other such instances with friends and acquaintances, including my dad's hip replacement approx. 40-years ago. But for some reason they didn't resonate like this recent one. Maybe because I was already on the precipice waiting for a nudge. :what:

The second occurrence was last night, while watching a Si-Fi TV series. A female battle-hardened warrior when asked how she could keep doing it, she said, I pretend I'm already dead. I thought that's a little drastic. But the point remained. Especially, when I considered a U.S. Lt. Colonel friend who recently retired. He put himself through hazardous physical and mentally taxing Special Forces Green Beret training being a "dope on a rope" (as his dad fondly referred to him) and jumping out of aircraft loaded with 86lbs. on his back (minus food & water). Later, he voluntarily stepped into the fray on foreign soil a countless number of times! Each and every time, his odds of being injured or worse, were much greater than any elective surgeries.

That level of dedication begs the question how do these brave armed service members put themselves in harm’s way time-after-time and think less about it, than I've been thinking about this process to potentially restore a life that I've almost forgotten?:scratch:God bless the brave men and women who wear the uniform to protect their country and those police and firefighters who wear the uniform to protect and serve the people!!:wow: And while thinking about those folks, how about the medical ones who also put themselves in harm's-way in the case of treating and caring for those with infectious diseases, or just caring for those who are ill, or those who can't care for themselves -- AGAIN...:wow:

Thankfully, there are so may brave and caring people out there when it counts!?! :thumb:

Last edited:
The first, was a friend who was in town to celebrate his mom's 90th. birthday. He advised that she had both hips replaced approx. 15 years ago to great effect. I thought well if this nonagenarian (now), when she was a septuagenarian, could step into the deep-end (as it were), as a septuagenarian, why not I?!?
My 86 yr old dad had his knee replaced two months ago and he's doing very well.
You'll do just fine!! There are many your age on the forum sharing accounts of their successful surgery and recovery.

Also, he had both hips replaced at 74, five months apart. So...You Can Do This!

My 86 yr old dad had his knee replaced two months ago and he's doing very well.
You'll do just fine!! There are many your age on the forum sharing accounts of their successful surgery and recovery.

Also, he had both hips replaced at 74, five months apart. So...You Can Do This!
Support...support...support, love it!!

So happy that your dad is faring well after his knee at 86!!

Absolutely, there are an abundance of positive results. We tend to hear more about the others. As it's well known, negatives generally propel far more news and action than positives.

Thanks again for this website!!

Music_man.. I too am 74. I too waited and waited and waited until I could no longer walk more than around the house, with a cane, always figuring the shortest route to take for minimum pain.

I had THR October 18, 2023.
3 weeks later I was walking pain free like I was at 50. I posted a video of that here in November.

Whether your recovery takes 3 weeks or 3 months you have a lot to look forward to now.

The change is going to blow your mind.

Mailman, thanks for providing the personal results and encouragement.

Regarding surgery, I'm keeping my hopes realistic, based on my specific situation.

I began the use of a cane and then a rollator 6-years ago, to alleviate my lumbar spinal stenosis pain and allow me to move better. My hip pain kicked-in thereafter.

Until relatively recently, my spine pain overshadowed my hip pain. Now, the hip pane may be worse but all 3-areas are commensurate pain wise and contribution to my lack of mobility.

After THR’s, walking with a cane verses a rollator, would be good! Being able to walk more than a few steps (and the miles I used to), before looking for a place to sit down would be good. But my hopes for either are neutral to doubtful.

Being more pain-free in the hip pain areas will be good. But an 8 level of pain is an 8 level, no matter where it resides. Eliminate one 8-area or two 8-areas, the other 8-level area (my spine pain) will still exist. Will handling the pain be easier with the 2-8 level areas gone? I believe so. But mind blowing for me and my situation? I don’t think so.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScaredSilly2024
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom