• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR New life expected

Anna_K

Country
Ukraine Ukraine
Hello everyone!

My name is Anna, I’m 31, I’m from Ukraine and I’m 6th week post op THR. (Fancy vocabulary here )

I accidentally found this forum a few days ago and you guys are my saviors ❤️
I’ve read and learned so much lately it helped me a lot.
I hope to be a part of a community ❤️

I had a trauma when I was 12. So now 19 years later with coxarthrosis I had my hip replaced.

I’m walking and recovering rather fine I think, going to try driving this weekend for the first time after the surgery.

I’m still processing what I’ve done and what my life will be like in future.

There are good and bad days

I wanted to ask something.

I’ve noticed that after an active day of walking or active exercising I have a knee pain. My left hip is replaced so my left knee hurts when I go to bed. I’ve noticed that I only have pain after active days. (tho my knees are fine as far as I know)

I’m curious if it’s normal
Thanks

Welcome to BoneSmart, @Anna_K! Glad you found us. Please tell us the exact date of your surgery so we can create a signature for you.

It's not uncommon to experience aches and pains all up and down your leg during recovery from surgery. Remember that you were probably limping/favoring the bad hip before your THR, which pushed your body out of alignment. Now all those leg and back muscles need to adjust to your corrected body posture.

I'll leave you some more information below.

Since you are still very early days in this recovery, I will share our Recovery Guidelines with you. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Good nutrition is very important during recovery:
Dietary Tips for Recovery
Nutrition Basics

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Again, :welome:

If you look at the muscle groups in your leg you'll see the IT band. It terminates at the knee and it seems after THR when it hurts it gives knee pain. For me it would happen especially if I walked uphill or downhill. All of the aches and pains in recovery come the day after.

Welcome! Yes, knee pain is normal. My knee hurt worse than my hip after surgery!

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well on this special date. Let us know when you have time.
Thanks for sharing your journey with us! :)
@Anna_K

@Layla Thank you so much :yahoo:
I feel fine I guess, there are good days and bad days.

On my 2nd month anniversary I went to my country house to plant strawberry. Hahah it was strange, I was looking for nice sprouts for good several hours on different markets and then was just gardening (not something i usually do) I was really tired but not in pain at all.

My leg feels okay, sometimes hurts. I dropped my crutches and started walking on my own
I’m limping a little but hoping for it to stop soon (really hoping)

Attachments

• New life expected
    IMG_5278.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the update, Anna!
It's wonderful that you're getting outdoors and into gardening. I wish you success.

A word of caution, we normally advise using some type of assistive device until you're no longer limping.

Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual
New life expected

Have a great weekend!

@Layla thanks a lot
Yeah I’m trying to walk like that, I just don’t want to get used to cane too much :scaredycat:

There is no way you'll get stuck on the cane--even without pushing things at all.

@Going4fun I don’t know why I have that fear to be honest. And also I’m curious what can happen if I don’t use cane :umm:

You're young, Anna, you're not going to get used to a cane. However, you do want to use it for support and stability to help minimize the limp as your injured leg is healing and strengthening so you're able to walk effortlessly and painlessly. It may take another month, patience is necessary. I encourage you to continue using it until the limp is gone.
Thanks for sharing your recovery here. I hope you have a great week! :)
@Anna_K

@Layla hmmm I guess you are right. It’s just so scary, every decision will lead to some consequences and I don’t want to do it in a wrong way =((
There’s no one around me who has got anything similar to my situation. And also every doctor says their own different things and it’s confusing :unsure:

Hello everyone!

My name is Anna, I’m 31, I’m from Ukraine and I’m 6th week post op THR. (Fancy vocabulary here )

I accidentally found this forum a few days ago and you guys are my saviors ❤️
I’ve read and learned so much lately it helped me a lot.
I hope to be a part of a community ❤️

I had a trauma when I was 12. So now 19 years later with coxarthrosis I had my hip replaced.

I’m walking and recovering rather fine I think, going to try driving this weekend for the first time after the surgery.

I’m still processing what I’ve done and what my life will be like in future.

There are good and bad days

I wanted to ask something.

I’ve noticed that after an active day of walking or active exercising I have a knee pain. My left hip is replaced so my left knee hurts when I go to bed. I’ve noticed that I only have pain after active days. (tho my knees are fine as far as I know)

I’m curious if it’s normal
Thanks
Which way diathermy surgeon go in, anterior or side.
G

@Dicky hip from the front, I’m not really strong with names but I suppose anterior

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Susie-Q
    Staff member since February2, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017