New guy from IL, bad hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

calebj06

Country
United States United States
hello all
My name is Caleb and I have a problem...... LOL.

I'm currently 28 years old. 3½ years ago I started having back pain. 3 chiros, 2 neurosurgeons, 4 stints in PT, 4 injections (3 back, 1 hip), 4 MRIs (3 back 1 hip), a myelogram, and now finally an ortho surgeon, they FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM!!

Although my back has had some issues and I do have a few bulging disks and some degeneration but nothing that should cause this pain.

Well it turns out I have a torn labrum In my left hip as well as CAM impingement.

I'm scheduled with Dr Ryan Nunley at Washington U in St. Louis on Sept 1st. I'm self employed in the construction industry so this should be an interesting fall/ winter but I'm not willing to wait any longer. I'M SICK OF THE PAIN!!

My days usually start decently (pain level 2-3) but by evening I'm more like a 6-7 depending on the day. Lately it's been more of 7 which for me is stabbing pains that make me wince and go down. Straight to bed when that hits.

Tried many meds. Norco is the only thing that helps but I hate it so I try to do without.

I have my crutches. Have ready the booklet from the Dr. PT is scheduled for 4 days after surgery.

I've been told that a toilet riser is one other thing that I should look for.

Looking forward to any advice you all have. What else do I need to do folks?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Pic of the hip
caleb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Caleb,
So sorry to hear you're having to deal with so much pain! I just happened to be the first to see you post, so I'll welcome you to BoneSmart, and let the forum advisors and those who know much more about the torn labrum and impingement issues address those in detail. You mentioned that you're already scheduled for surgery on Sept. 1 - do you know what type of procedure you'll be having? There are a number of handy things you'll need (and may want) to have post-op - the toilet riser is a must. Take a look on Amazon - there are quite a variety of them, and quite frankly, you might find using one now in the midst of your pain to be really helpful. Others will be chiming in to talk about what post-op "tools" were helpful to them, too.

You've come to the right place in terms of finding a great group of people who will support you, answer questions, and share experiences! You're not walking through this horrible time of pain by yourself - we all understand how life-disruptive that hip debilitation is and you've got an outstanding support system right here! I know it made a HUGE difference for me as I prepared to have my surgery! Best of luck to you, Caleb!

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! Don't know if your doctor explained this to you but the cam deformity is what has caused the labral tear. I think your xray shows that every time you bring your leg forward, the cam hits on the edge of the acetabulum and in time, causes it to become damaged.

I've had a look at your xray which is a very good one, and noticed that there is some sclerosis (hardening) of the bone on the acetabular rim which may indicate early arthritis. Early treatment of an FAI is to use a small power tool to take away the deformity and in some cases this works okay. I say in some because in a lot of cases, once the arthritis has got a hold, it will go on to cause a painful arthritic hip. But though this is not in your near future, it's something you should keep in mind.

The areas I am referring to are the white edges, here indicated with red arrows

caleb b.jpg

Additionally, since I note you are self employed, you should know that this procedure is quite a long one in terms of recovery. If you go into the recovery forum and find a thread with the
HIP RESURFACING prefix.JPG
prefix, it will bring up all the threads from members who have had this procedure done. I suggest you read them to see what the real-life experience of this is.

Thanks for the welcome.

I would gladly take any advice on what to get/ prepare before my surgery. Right now I know I'll need the crutches, toilet extender, ice packs, and a lap table. Anything else?

I'm blessed to have my wife at home full time so she will be my nurse. We have 2 young children though (2 and 4) and she will be starting homeschooling with the 4 year old the week after surgery so I don't want to be too much of a bother to her.

What else should I get ready before I take the leap?

Also, after reading some here it seems that many folks opt for thr instead of the scope. My dr at wash u seems to have no problems with the scope for me. Everything I hear about him is great. He does about 120-130 a year. Even my MRI tech at my local ortho center (not affiliated with this dr in any way) had this exact thing done on BOTH hips by the same dr and she is doing great now.

Wow I'm rambling.......can anyone tell I'm nervous??

Well so now I'm questions scope vs THR. I'm questioning my total down time from work. I'm questioning ...........

Ahh I'm just ready to have it done.
Thanks all

Hi and welcome to Bonesmart! Pumpkin left you some links above and one of them is a list for items you may need for recovery. Take a look at them and see. Josephine (an OS nurse for 40 years) has indicated that the recovery can take quite some time. If you type "arthroscopy" in the search area above, it should direct you to other members who have had this type of procedure. You're wise in addressing this ASAP, as I waited a year before having my THR's and I am SO sorry I waited! Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Tick tock.

6 days to go. Getting nervous.

Oh, these last few days can be the hardest, Caleb! As Josephine said, you are young and the repair work they'll be doing inside the hip socket will relieve you of the pain of the impingement, as your OS has assured you. He knows what he's doing, and I'm sure that if he felt your situation were "iffy", meaning on the edge of possibly gaining more benefit from a THR rather than the arthroscopy, he'd move in that direction. Sounds like you've been doing a lot of reading and getting ready - you'll want to plan on having lots of ice packs all made up. (@Nana2-8 had a great idea as she was getting ready for her hip surgery - or just do a search on this forum or google to find out how to make up your own! And I bet your 4 year old would love to help making them! Good homeschooling project! :)
You'll be sleeping, icing and resting and doing more sleeping for the first few weeks, so unless it's to bring you meals, water, meds or help you get in and out of bed (kind of tricky the first week or two), you'll be out of your wife's way as she's busy with the kids!

We're all here rooting you on!!!!!

By the way, you'll want to get a "reacher" or a "grabber" - maybe even a couple of them! (I have a feeling the kids will be fighting over them! Take a look on Amazon at "hip replacement care" and you'll see a lot of things (that you probably won't need) - interesting to look at, anyway! :)

@calebj06 Hello! Tick Tock is right! Looks like you and I will have the same surgery date. I will be praying for you.
There is nothing like knowing that you are not alone! Think positive! I will be having a right THR. I am banking on what Cynthia777 said about an easy recovery. I have a plan to stay busy everyday doing something to prepare.
It keeps your mind occupied. Good Luck and stay in touch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads