Mildly irritated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimgrif

I swear, sometimes I think these OS need to go through replacement surgery themselves to see what the recovery is like, the pain is like, etc.

I'm two weeks out today and am doing fantastically well. I stopped my OxyContin as of today (still have a few days left, but I feel I'm doing well enough to try going without).

I was also given Percocet which helps quite a bit for PT, etc. I still take Percocet at night. I did ask my OS for some Vicodin as a step-down from Percocet because I'm starting to run low on Percocets and well, running out of pain meds makes me very, VERY nervous.

He called in #24 Vicodin for me. And the instructions are, "1 tablet every 6-8 hours, if needed." HELLO? I just had my leg cut apart and hammered back together, and you are gonna be stingy with pain meds for me?

I'm a little irritated and if I have to and find the need, will push much harder for pain meds. I know my GP will give them to me if I ask him, as he knows me and knows I will not take any medication unless I feel I really need it.

Just makes me mad that it seems every OS on the planet is so stingy with pain meds. It takes a LOT to get through recovery with these TKRs, and if one is going to give one's all, one should be able to have pain relief, don't you think?

*getting off my soapbox now*

You're doing great! Masybe the drug reps didn't get to your OS this week yet!!! (:)0)

Couldn't agree with you more, Kim! They surely need a 'dose of their own medicine'!

Here Here i so agree on them getting a replacement soo how it feels .call you GP if you have to i dont think i t could have taken 1 every 6-8- hrs ouch !!!!!!!!! Hang in there and make some calls.............Your not on your soap box we sooooo get it believe me...........take care................post anytime...........

We actually laughed when the script for the valums he ordered read 14. These were supposed to help with the massive muscle spasms and help to lengthen the time between pain meds. Needless to say, he didn't refill it either, said I didn't need them anymore.

Amazingly they only give you 10 days worth of pain meds and then you have to go to the office to pick up a new Rx because it's a narcotic. I'm with you, they have no clue. I wouldn't take this stuff if it wasn't necessary. I used to be stingy with ibuprophen. Still can't take that since I'm on blood thinner. Do they think we are going to not need any medicine after 10 days???? Especially if our choices are so limited with the blood thinners. My pharmasists even said I had to limit the over the counter sinus medicine to 4 a day. 2 in the am and 2 in the pm because of the cummadin. Amazing!!!!!

I have 2 surgeons from the same office. My hip/knee surgeon is awesome. Always gave me more than enough and always asked me if i needed any more. My spine doc gives freely before surgery. After he can't wait to wean you off. The PCA had much less after my spine fusion in it than my hip doc put in after my hip replacement.
judy

You just HAVE to have more pain meds. I'm 4 weeks out and would want to die if I didn't have pain meds. My OS also mentioned weaning off the oxycodone when I went to see him at my 2 week appointment. But then I called in for a refill and he gave it to me. The nurse just said that I should try to take them 6 hours apart instead of 4. Also, I know that my family doctor would give me pain killers if I need them. Especially something like Norco.
You need more medicine, and if you think your family doctor will give them to you, GO!
:thmb:

I loved it when you said surgeons should have to go through knee replacement. All they care about is the prothesis (which is important) but after that you are on your own. I am in my 6th week of recovery and have not had a problem getting pain meds. However, I am now only taking one at night and plan on stopping that as well. I don't like the way they make me feel woozy and don't think the Vicadin I take does that much for the pain...but that's me.

:hehe: I have always thought docs should have procedures before they could do them. I thought male OB's need to carry around that 20 pounds attached to their bellies for 9 months and see how their backs and feet feel let alone give birth! Likewise I have thought that docs need to go thru disability education...tape their legs and let them walk with crutches, or try to manuever a wheel chair for a week, walk around blind folded for an hour...sorry on my soap box!:hissy:
Hope that by now you have gotten some drugs and you are feeling better
:D

I've been off the OxyContin for 36 hours now, and the pain is really not going away. Today I've tried NOTHING but ibuprofen 800 mg and Vicodin and I've fought back tears much of today. I just can't do it yet. I'll use my precious oxycodone (Percocet) to sleep tonight. I don't have many left, and just not sure how I'm going to function without it. It HURTS. Forget exercises, they are NOT happening right now while I hurt this much. No way.

:doh:Kim!! You should call your OS! This is totally unacceptable, sweetie! Discomfort is one thing, intolerable pain must be addressed! I hope you call and get something to help you!! :rant::rant::pnc::pnc:

Judi,
Is right Kim you need to call your OS and tell him or his nurse. And tell them you are in enough pain that you are even unable to do you PT exercises for your knee.

Trust me, I'll be calling tomorrow morning (Monday) and they'll be getting an earful. I have spent two days "doing it their way" and it's not happening any longer than that. Their way is not working right now and I'm going to get a refill of Percocet. That's all there is to it. And no, not exercising like this. Not happening. I can barely sit still for the aching right now, not gonna aggravate it. My PT is gonna LOVE me tomorrow.

Kim please let us know how that conversation goes tomorrow. I'll be having the same one at my pre op apt. I may even call my pain mangement doc and see why she changed my percocet from evey 4 hours to every 8-12 when she told me they only reallly last 4 hours!!!

I need my hip surgeon back this was never a problem with him
judy

I am so sorry to hear of your pain troubles. I just stayed with my girlfriend who underwent a double mastectomy. She still had drains in and her doctor was cutting her off of her pain meds. It was cruel to watch her cry and worry about it.

I was so upset after watching her, that I called my OS's nurse. I told her that I was afraid of being in pain after my surgery and not having any help. She reassured me that it would not be that way for me, and she told me everything he prescribed. It did make me feel better. Please remind me after the surgery when I have no pain meds that she said that!

Not giving us pain meds is called "CYA" ( cover-your- a**). The doctor's are not going to get in trouble for with-holding pain meds, but they can get in trouble for getting us hooked. So, the heck with us, and let some other doctor put his license on the line to keep us comfortable. Not right, but that's how it seems to be.

Bless you Kim, and I sincerely hope you get the relief you need so that you can do your exercises. You deserve help, don't stop til you get it. Remember, the sqeaky wheel gets the grease!

Good Luck, Kimberly

Do these surgeons not know the mechanics of pain control? It's no earthly good taking the percs now and again. It's got to be regular to keep the pain under control. Once it breaks through, it takes that much longer for the next dose to have any affect. Print off my chart and shove it under his nose!

ai34.tinypic.com_352hcmb.jpg

PT was horrible today, very painful, and my therapist was very unhappy at my state of no exercising all weekend. He tried to explain to me that it's so very important to be moving this knee daily. Gee, no kidding? Sorry, but my sense of humor just isn't here today. He did appreciate my position though and encouraged me for my discussion with my surgeon.

Went to my surgeon's office after PT (it's in the same building) and he literally played 20 Questions with me, told me that two weeks was PLENTY of time to heal and not need something as "heavy" as Percocet anymore. He really made me feel like a total junkie! But, he did give me #30 more Percocet, and that should be enough to get me over the hump.

So, I do feel like a bit of a loser for not being able to manage on ibuprofen at this point, but at least I'm a loser who won't be dealing with the big pain for awhile. LOL

Kim, you are NOT a loser!!! I was on prescription pain meds for 2 months. Others here on the forum have needed them longer. Your doctor is irrational in this regard. We have a special BoneSmart whip for surgeons like that and I'm not afraid to use it!! I know it's difficult, but please continue to fight for what you know is right. You must not be in pain!!! It's counterproductive to recovery.

You did a good job standing up to him. Hang in there!!!

Kim Hooray for you. You have pain you need the pain pills.
I really think some of the OS need to go through knee or hip replacement and then they can see what it is all about.

Hang in there you will get better. Proud of you for standing up to the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ND522
Recent bookmarks