THR Ray's Right THR Recovery

We are having a postcard beautiful spring day so I drove to the park and did a walk, two laps around a pond, nice and flat, perfect paved path, for about 3100 steps. Hip feels great, only pain is a little anterior tightness and discomfort as the hip extends. I used my cane because otherwise that extension discomfort would have caused a limp. I don't have any swelling but will ice it down a bit anyway. This felt fairly comfortable and I don't think I am headed for the ODIC... at least not yet. So far so good. :)

Day 9 or so and this recovery is still on track and easier than I expected. I have been driving since day 5, did that long walk Tuesday, then home PT yesterday. The home PT guy is going to cut me loose early since I don't need any more. When I am warmed up I can walk without a limp (no cane) and can walk up and down the stairs normally, even releasing the handrails.

This is not to say I am anywhere near 100% yet. The joint itself feels remarkably good. I am able to rotate and flex it in ways I couldn't before the surgery. But the area around and under the incision has a lot of healing to do, still. It is plenty stiff when I get out of bed and I use my cane then. It is also stiff after I have been sitting for awhile. And activity makes it sore and I need to ice it down in the evenings. But that is normal.

Next week at the 2-week point I am going to get on my indoor bike and do some easy low RPM spinning.

Onward and upward!

I just read your bilateral recovery thread. Looks like you did great, too. But I can't imagine doing both at once. Luckily my left hip has some time left. How much? Not sure. I am also a hard core cyclist and hope to be doing some good rides when allowed, I suppose beginning at the 12-week mark. I could also see myself trying to return to some easy green trail skiing. And maybe even some golf. I have not been able to pivot on this hip to swing a club for years.

Wow, that’s awesome!

But I can't imagine doing both at once. Luckily my left hip has some time left.
When I had my first hip replacement 11 years ago I was scheduled to do the second hip 6-8 weeks later. The new hip balanced my gait and removed some back strain. The other hip improved and I was able to delay the surgery for 11 years.

My left hip has significantly reduced joint space but is asymptomatic. It will be a while before I adjust to the new right hip and any change in leg length and see what, if any, impact that has on posture and gait. So, it is hard to say yet how mine will play out. It could even make the left worse, I suppose.

But I can't imagine doing both at once. Luckily my left hip has some time left.
When I had my first hip replacement 11 years ago I was scheduled to do the second hip 6-8 weeks later. The new hip balanced my gait and removed some back strain. The other hip improved and I was able to delay the surgery for 11 years.

Good rides when allowed, I suppose beginning at the 12-week mark
On the one hand - eeease into it, I didn’t ride outdoors until 6m and it was about 1y to go on “real” rides. OTOH if you were well trained at some point before, I bet in the long term you can get back to something resembling your old self.

Today is my 2-week anniversary update... could be titled "Reality Check". I should have known that as soon as I posted that positive message above that the hip gods would revolt and smite me. And I know from having other surgeries that these recoveries are never linear, as much as we would like them to be.

The day after that post my hip was annoying enough for me to need to use the cane most of the time again. For anyone who has seen the posts that describe the normal gait in 4 phases, my pain was happening in phase 2, loading, where the joint takes on the body weight. Not terrible, but enough that I found myself looking for the cane again which seemed backwards after a day of almost totally forgetting about it.

So, really nothing much to report but normal recovery progress, which is OK. The home PT cut me loose early after 3 visits since I was "crushing" all the exercises and I continue to do all my daily activities just fine, if a little slowly. I also typically do a 20-25 minute walk at the park but I am not pushing it beyond that for now. And I am delaying my move to the indoor cycle for now. Don't think I am ready. I'll re-evaluate that in another week or so.

Oh, I continue to ice and elevate, especially in the evening and that seems to help.

All of you just keep on keeping on. That's all we can do.

I should have known that as soon as I posted that positive message above that the hip gods would revolt and smite me.
:heehee: Not funny, but the way you put it made me chuckle...doesn't it seem to be the way?!!
Sounds like you're taking it slow and listening to your body. This recovery does take patience, as you already know. Happy Wednesday!

I really believe it is important to try to maintain some sense of humor with all this, otherwise, it just becomes a real slog. Today I feel well enough to take on a project I have been planning to racoon proof my bird feeder. Once it is all assembled I'll post a photo. Then set up the trail cam on it tonight to see how the racoon works the problem. They are tough to beat, but I think this time I may have the solution! I like to watch the birds on my deck and when the feeder gets attacked and drained every night I stop filling it. Hopefully this will be the answer.

I should have known that as soon as I posted that positive message above that the hip gods would revolt and smite me.
:heehee: Not funny, but the way you put it made me chuckle...doesn't it seem to be the way?!!
Sounds like you're taking it slow and listening to your body. This recovery does take patience, as you already know. Happy Wednesday!

Last edited:
We've all "announced" our victories at some point only to be defeated by "the hip!"
You are not first & won't be last, myself included in that statement!
You have had many surgeries over the years so I'm sure you are very used to the peaks & valleys of recovery.
I wish you well, you appear to be doing fantastic!

@raylo giving up the walker and then the cane has been a continuing challenge for me. I forget to use the cane and walk around the house just fine. Then I get out of a chair and can’t take a step. I have been trying to look back each week and assess my progress - two steps forward one step back- but still forward. Hope you are cane free and comfortable soon.

Here is my new "racoon roller" attached to my bird feeder. I got a piece of 4" PVC pipe, then designed and 3D printed some end caps and bushings to mount the pipe over the feeder pole so the pipe just rolls if you grab or push on it. So, even if Mr. racoon can grab it he won't be able to climb out without getting dumped. If you see how the paint is all scratched up near the top, that is from racoon claws from him... really they... from many repeated assaults. This is a great part of my hip rehab... sitting around trying to outsmart the critters. ;-). We'll see.

IMG_5453.JPG

Last edited:
Fingers crossed!
I rigged a squirrel baffle from some wide round metal ducting I found at our local home improvement store. It slid over the hanging chain, just wide enough and long enough they couldn't get purchase on it.
Of course then due to various avian poxes and other diseases we were advised to take down the feeders, so now I just broadcast seed over a very wide area so the birds (and squirrels) aren't jammed together. Hoping to get the feeder back up soon!

I have one of those squirrel resistant feeders that closes the ports when anything heavier than a few birds jumps on. That stops the squirrels... although this roller will probably prevent them from even trying again. The racoon was still successful because he'd either climb out on the pole or spin it around to the deck rail so he could grab the feeder and open the ports. This should put a stop to all that. I also added a pin through the pole into the deck so it can't be swung around to the rail without removing the pin. So, I believe I have all the basses covered... but have been proven wrong before.

Fingers crossed!
I rigged a squirrel baffle from some wide round metal ducting I found at our local home improvement store. It slid over the hanging chain, just wide enough and long enough they couldn't get purchase on it.
Of course then due to various avian poxes and other diseases we were advised to take down the feeders, so now I just broadcast seed over a very wide area so the birds (and squirrels) aren't jammed together. Hoping to get the feeder back up soon!

Last edited:
Victory over racoon! At least so far. But I'll keep watching for awhile to see if he comes up with any new tactics. Now I need to make another one of these for my hummingbird feeder pole, which he is used to just grabbing and pulling over to the rail to drink it all.

Wow, what a cool video! We had to move hummingbird feeder for same reason, every night darn racoon would sit on railing & drink it all up. Not only makes a mess & ants start coming, also stained a couple of the wooden boards so it's now on my clothesline way out in middle to the yard.
Good project to keep you occupied during your recovery.

3 week update: on the road to normal

First, my racoon proofing works! Both feeders have remained unmolested since I installed the rolling baffles. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner. Darn racoons have eaten a lot of my bird seed and nectar over the years.

I had a very busy day yesterday... I bought some mulch at Lowes and spread it, went to the grocery store for supplies, did my walk in the park only using the cane intermittently to give the recovering hip some short rests, then back home I pedaled my indoor bike for 5 minutes (with no resistance). None of this was easy, except maybe the bike, but doable, and it didn't make the hip feel worse, which is my criteria for deciding how much to take on. Then to the recliner for an icing session and a much needed nap!

The hip flexor pain and discomfort that makes me look for the cane is diminishing. Otherwise I don't seem to have any swelling and the pain seems to be limited to the upper thigh area below the incision. Sore to the touch, like a deep bruise, and numb/burning feeling on the skin. I hope and expect that to resolve over time but it doesn't seem to slow me down.

I am not doing any PT since graduating from the home PT. Seems unnecessary, at least in my case. And at least one of the exercises he gave me, standing on one leg, seemed to be counterproductive. That seemed to irritate the hip flexors. The strength was there so I am not worried about that for now. When the flexors are back to normal that will be an easy thing to do.

I see the doc next Monday for my first post-op check. Can't wait to see the x-ray.

You are coming right along & good news on getting those pesty racoons off the bird feeders!
Keep us posted on upcoming doctor visit.

Great update - and congrats on outwitting the raccoons, who are worthy opponents!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads