• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Good morning, Kim. I’m reading back a ways of your posts... somehow, I seem to have missed a lot of them, my computer skills are sadly lacking . But, your picture & name, I so identify with, as I also love to cook and sew, and garden! At this point, I’m enjoying food again, for the longest time, I had no appetite, & most foods tasted terrible... combination of Tramadol, ( and my being too hard-headed to take one more medication - anti nausea), and then , the IV antibiotics. Once I was off those, my appetite returned, and once my strength also came back, I am now happily in the kitchen, cooking away! ( and we’re both enjoying eating it!)

As I read through your posts, I am in awe of you, & all you have been through! You are truly an inspiration. I was so fearful of an infection, then, when one hit... well, you just deal with it! I realize it could happen again & require more surgery, but have gotten over that fear. And reading your posts make that resolve even stronger... thankyou, sincerely.

I really love cooking, & trying new recipes. I’m not familiar with velveting meat, & am anxious to try it! I looked, & see it is on google, so I’ll have to try it. Is that what makes our chicken at our favorite Vietnamese-Chinese restaurant so very incredible? We haven’t been there since before the Pandemic; it’s in a town roughly 45 minutes north, & once things settle down here, we plan to go. Our son & his girlfriend are coming for a visit from Germany on Saturday. Both are very good cooks, she grew up in northern Italy, and makes the most wonderful risotto! We haven’t seen her in over 2 years due to the Pandemic. The last 2 times our son came, only Americans were allowed in from other countries. So we’re thrilled, we all love her. Our grandson was literally smitten the first time she came... he was only a toddler then, & is a “ big “ first grader now.☺️

I will see my surgeon tomorrow for a re-check on the cleanout surgery. I’m very fortunate, he is very good, and has a team of PA’s who work for him, and they are all good. And, he is kind. On our way home, we always stop on the way , drive through Wendy’s, & get Jr bacon cheeseburgers and coffee, park, & enjoy them. That is one of the few foods that really tasted good when I lost my appetite.... Before the Pandemic, we would drive to our daughter’s house, about an hour away every Wednesday & spend the day with our grandson while she worked from home, so we’d see her also, & sometimes her husband also worked from home, & we’d see him, too. It helped them, and, we got that special time to bond with little guy. On our way home, we’d stop at a Wendy’s about half way, & get a Jr bacon cheeseburger & free Sr coffee. Yum. I often wonder if that’s why it was the one thing that tasted really good to me in those days.....

You mentioned that you still have swelling.....is it by chance fluid? When I saw my surgeon for the checkup after my cleanout surgery, I had a noticeable pocket of fluid on my knee that my PT was concerned about. He said it would eventually go away, but, I could “ help” it some by wearing an ACE bandage, or, a support brace ( not the kind with the hole). I had one we’d got on Amazon that I wore before my surgery. I started wearing it when we walked, and it really helped, & made me feel more secure. The fluid pocket has reduced considerably. And I now wear it regularly, it does feel “ protective” while I am still healing. It might be worth asking your Dr or your PT about.

One question for you..... I see your last surgery was for hardware removal...will you have the hardware replaced at some future date? There is just so much I still don’t understand about all this. While my surgeon and his staff are really great, and he’s very understanding of my list of questions I always bring, and gives me good answers, there’s So much I constantly learn from others on this forum, and, my questions do regularly crop up. As our son would often say when he was little, and regularly had questions, all sorts of questions... “ I like to know things!”. He’s a Physicist now, working for a company that specializes in immunology, so no doubt, he Still is pursuing many questions. Can’t wait to see both him & his girlfriend tomorrow!

Well, as you can probably tell, it is now the next day ( Friday), and I am finishing this post! That happens with me a lot. Big day - I’ll see my surgeon in a few hours.. So I will close this & get it on your way, wishing you a very Good Friday, enjoying your knee being so much better.... and, once again, thanking you for the inspiration your very strong spirit has given me, and, no doubt, others. And thankful for so many special friends I have made on here. Sure makes this journey a lot better...

I realized this morning, after thinking about it, that I have really not been pain-free
My OS years ago told me I'd never be pain-free, but better. The OS that did my TKR said the same thing and they were right. I'm not pain-free but am so much better now!
This is now the first time I can remember not being in any significant pain in a very long time.
This is wonderful! That means that all the surgeries have been worth it! Yippee!

Thanks for checking in, @CamGram . My leg is doing well, and I'm mostly recovered from the last surgery. I managed to catch a cold, so have been down for about a week so far, but I hit the worst of it and should start to recover now. How's your knee doing?

Sorry about your cold, @lovetocookandsew but I’m very glad your leg is doing well! I imagine a cold feels worse when you’re already dealing with recovery from surgery.

I’m doing really well for being less than three weeks post-TKR. My only complaint is the fatigue and the occasional intense pain in my knee. Of course, when I think about everything my OS did to that knee I am surprised - and so grateful - that I feel as good as I do! In fact, I feel good enough today that hubs and I are taking our two local granddaughters shopping for lacrosse gear and out to lunch. (Being able to fully participate in their lives was an important part of why I had my replacements in the first place!) Life is truly good!!

@lovetocookandsew , I’m so glad to hear that you are doing well! You have been through so very much. And I agree with both you & @sistersinhim , in regards to being pain free. My surgeon was very honest with me from the start, that my knee might not be “perfect”, but that it would definitely be better. It was pretty messed up, and, had been for so long. I still have pain, particularly when I am sitting or standing for too long ( but, maybe that’s a Good thing for me, an incentive to get up & move plenty!☺️). Both my husband and I are so thrilled that I am So much better, and we can Walk! He regularly says, “ Look at you! You’re walking Normally!!”. I’m able to get in the swings with our grandson, & snuggle pretty comfortably with him, & bend down to nuzzle our spoiled kitty, some of those still causing Some pain, but, at least, Doable now! The entire process has been Well Worth it, and, I’d do it again, infection, cleanout surgery & all, to have this improvement. And, a lot of good things along my journey, meeting some wonderful people, being inspired by them, and learning a lot about myself in the process! Thankful for it all.
Now, I need to get up & moving, & start out traditional Saturday morning breakfast: bacon, cheese grits, over-easy eggs , toast & jam . ( we’re definitely much more modest during the week!). You folks have a nice weekend.

For the first time in many, many years, I can now drive and brake with my right foot! I've not been able to as moving my foot to the brake pedal was just too painful, so I've had to brake with my left foot. I've also not been able to drive at all in at least a year, and now I can do that also! On the way home yesterday from a trip we just took, I drove, and without even realizing it at first, I was using only my right foot to drive, and there was no pain! YAY! Now, if I could just get the swelling to go down and be able to ascend and descend stairs like an adult, I'd be in heaven. I also did a lot of walking all week, and even though my leg did ache as usual on the lower tibia area, my knee and fibula areas were fine. Overall, my last surgery was a success and has given me back my life in most areas, and for that I am grateful.

Congratulations, @lovetocookandsew ! I’m enjoying so very much being able to drive... our Subaru is a standard shift, I love it after our first one was an automatic. I’m particularly enjoying that feeling of independence after my TKR & the cleanout surgery. You have really been through a lot, it’s just really exciting to see you have this wonderful progress. I’m thrilled for you.

@CamGram , eat one of those brownies for me, please! After my surgeries, my taste for sweets is not the same, & I find I can easily resist most, but not a good brownie! I recently tried a gluten-free mix for our daughter, to see if we liked it. They were YUMMY, Very chocolaty .

OK. Time for me to get started on our breakfast. Everyone have a good day.... looks to be another beautiful sunny day here.

I'm noticing so many things I can now do, and most of them aren't conscious changes-they're just happening naturally and then I notice them. For instance, driving; I had been driving two footed for years due to the side-to-side pain in my knee. A little while ago, without realizing it at first, I started driving properly and it didn't hurt. Or, standing; for years I stood with my weight on my left leg and my right toes just touched the floor. Now, again without realizing it at first, I've been standing steadily and strongly on both legs, with both legs straight. My extension is really good now-I don't know the number, but it's pretty close to the extension on my left leg. I also found I can once again sit for hours and hours at a time, whereas for years 20 minutes in and I was in a lot of pain. I'm walking long distances again, although I will admit to some crankiness in my leg after a while, but that'll improve over time as the muscles in my leg get used to being used a lot again.

I've also not been able to put on pants or panties while standing as I couldn't put my weight on my right leg, nor was it steady enough to risk it. Without realizing it the last week or so, I've been dressing while standing up. I usually had to go to my bedroom chair or bed and sit down to put on pants, but now I can dress easily. I still have a little bit of a challenge on the right as my knee doesn't bend well, but I've dealt with that for a long time and manage. There have been a few more things like these; right now I'm forgetting them all; but I'm so happy to finally be able to do much more than I have for years.

My leg around my knee is still swollen, so biking is still off the list, as are using stairs like an adult. I'm thinking I may be able to one day climb them properly as my muscles get stronger with use, but going down properly may not happen.

Unfortunately, I think I tweaked something in my leg yesterday as there's a new, sharp pain above and to the right of my kneecap. It may have happened when I was walking on the bark in our yard, which is an uneven surface, and I lost my balance; somehow I managed to catch myself so didn't fall, but in doing so I think I pulled or tweaked my knee a bit. My husband was out there with me and actually saw it, but wasn't close enough to catch me. He also couldn't tell me what I did that may have pulled my knee as it happened so fast. There's a lump under the skin right where the pain is, which leads me to believe I did pull it a bit. It happens so fast you react and don't even know what you did. I've had many, many instances like this in the past, but have always had something to grab to keep myself upright; this time I didn't have anything nearby, but stayed up. :) I'm hoping as my leg gets stronger uneven surfaces will be less of a hazard for me; but until then I plan to be more careful and avoid them whenever possible.

Overall. my leg and knee aren't perfect, but are doing very well, which makes me happy. :happydance:

Hi @lovetocookandsew , wow, what a wonderful report!! Gives us all a vision of how things might/will be the further we are along this long recovery/rehab tunnel!!

I hope you quickly recover from your mishap.

All the best!!

My OS said it may be a small tear in the retinaculum around the knee cap, and to take it easy for a week. I'll lighten up a little, and that should fix it. One more week and he's retiring...... :boohoo: I hope I don't need an OS anymore, but at least if I do, he's recommended a good doctor, so I'll be well taken care of, but no one can replace him. After at least 18 years as his patient, it's a blow, but I do wish him well.

@lovetocookandsew so sorry about your mishap but overall you are doing so well! Given everything you’ve been through, you deserve all of your success and more. I hope you continue to improve and that you find yourself doing more with less pain every day.

For the first time in many, many years, I can now drive and brake with my right foot! I've not been able to as moving my foot to the brake pedal was just too painful, so I've had to brake with my left foot. I've also not been able to drive at all in at least a year, and now I can do that also! On the way home yesterday from a trip we just took, I drove, and without even realizing it at first, I was using only my right foot to drive, and there was no pain!

It took me so long to drive for more than a 20 minutes at a time that I had dreams of moving to the UK! One of my Christmas presents from my wife were Misch 4x4 4-Inch BigBoy Seat Brackets for my new Jeep Wrangler that I could no longer really drive. While a large auto, Jeep Wrangler seats really don't go back much and I am 6'4" with long legs and sitting with leg bent at 90 degrees was undoable. My doctor is about an hour and twenty minutes away so I always needed a ride.

Anyway, my son and I spent 4 hours of father / son time installing them on the 27th. Game changer - move to UK cancelled. On the 28th I was able to drive myself to my surgeon for a 6 month check.

Holy cow, Kim. I couldn’t figure out why your recovery thread was still going on in 2022 until I spent hours today, reading parts of it and realized all you’ve been through! I hope things improve.

A question: did you ever buy a camper?

Marie

No trailer yet. We were going to buy one at hubby's retirement, which happened in the middle of the shutdowns, so very low inventory when things finally started reopening. Now, because so many zillions of people bought trailers to be able to do something while everything was shutdown, masks required everywhere, and so on, space at parks is limited, to say the least. Not to mention outrageous gas prices to travel thousands of miles around the country, so we put it on hold for now. It would still be doable for us, gas price wise, but we refuse to pay those prices on principal, and common sense. We still plan to do it if things improve in every area, but right now we're staying in hotels when we travel, and driving or flying to get to our destinations.

I was doing really well, until I pulled, or tore, something recently. It's gotten worse lately, and today I had to pull out my crutches. My OS (who retires Friday darn him.....lol) ordered a set of x-rays for me to get done when we get back from our trip if things haven't improved. I plan to take this trip no matter what as my husband really deserves to get to go and won't go to the concert unless I do. If I do still need the x-rays, my new doctor will look at the results and go from there.

We bought a camper over Labor Day weekend in 2019. We traveled for seven weeks before the season shut down up here in NH. Then we traveled the following season and my husband figured out he hates the setting up and breaking down so last year, we got a seasonal! It works for us as I don’t work in the summer but my husband does. A bonus is that I found out about this campground from some guy on Facebook, he was there when we went to check it out. He and his wife are now our best friends! Last season was fantastic. When Steve retires, we will keep the seasonal but travel when we want to.

So sorry you’re having new problems. I hope it’s nothing serious. Where is the trip & what concert?

Marie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom