THR Life in the fast (swim) lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still on for Oct 27! I am still amazed that you are going in again when you just had your first THR on Sept. 1. How can you even do that? Wishing the best for all of us.

@SwimGirl @Krista October 27th is speeding toward us isn't it? I had my joint class today--posted about it over on my thread. All these hoops to jump through! Yes, the support here is wonderful.

@Krista Lots of people have the hips done 6 wks apart. Some people have them done both at the same time.
Cannot even fathom that! I think the fact that I had a good recovery makes all the difference in the world.
Ready to be done with the discomfort of immobility. Besides, I have my walker ready, my high bed ready,
my shower chair in place and the family mindset in place to take care of the pets.

@gertie I took a friend with me to the joint class. I learned so much. The main thing was about how quickly
they get you in and out of the hospital. In the past everyone went to rehab for 6 or 8 wks and now insurance
will not pay for that nor is it necessary. They get you up the same day as surgery! It is better for you!

So we will be hip surgery triplets, @SwimGirl and @gertie! I am glad that the six weeks between surgeries worked out for you Swimgirl. At six weeks there was no way I could have done it. Perhaps it's because I never really did recover in the normal way. I will be going to rehab for weeks after my surgery, because I will be 20 pound weight bearing and wearing a brace for 6 - 8 weeks afterwards. And my "good" left leg is wonky with pain in my knee and ankle, and also my left shoulder and shoulder-blade are nothing but trouble. So it will be difficult for me to get around, and I just can't count on my husband, since he works very long hours and many weekends. And my sister, who lives next door, isn't able to help me with physical needs, although she provides great moral and shopping support! I am sure I will be "up" the same day as surgery, but just to stand up for a minute. Even after my THR 15 months ago, I wasn't able to walk with the walker more than one step or two for 3 days afterwards. We are all so different, even from one op to the other.

Hoping all three of us come out just fine!

Wow! @Krista you really have had a tough time since you say you did not recover in the normal way. Make sure you take all the time you need this time around and do everything the Dr. says. In the long run 6 to 8 weeks will go pretty fast. If hubby cannot be around Perhaps your sister Can help you find someone to help with your physical needs and I am sure she will check in on you.The moral support will be very necessary! Each surgery is
Going to be different so it may be better than you expect. Whatever the case take one day at a time. We will all
Be doing this post op recovery together! Like the song....Lean on me!

@SwimGirl, I plan on going to a rehab facility after the surgery. They will take care of all of my physical needs. Husband and sis will visit every day. By the time I am released, I should be able to move around pretty well, get food out of the fridge for myself, etc. The place I picked is covered by my insurance, is beautiful and I am sure will be a pleasant place to be during those first couple of weeks of difficulties post-op. When I get home, I should be fine to be alone all day while husband is at work, and my sister can pop in whenever, since she lives in the house next door. If things go better than I expect, I will be very happy. If not, I am prepared!

@Krista What was I thinking? Of course rehab! when I went for my joint class they went on and on about
how no longer do post op joints go right to rehab for 6 weeks, so I didn't even give it a thought. Sounds like
the perfect place for you! Nice that you have sis right next door. I have grown kids coming and going all
day long. My biggest demand was refilling the ice bag and mobility just gets easier with time and practice
on the walker. I am ready to watch Netflix and be bored for a while. Relaxation really. This week I am cleaning,
cooking, running vacuum and doing laundry so I can enjoy down time after the fact. Some down time! Well,
recuperation down time! I pray that things go better than you expect!

@gertie How are you doing? Just a few more days to go! Wash sheets, shower with special soap and pack
a very small bag for the hospital. Spent most time in the lovely gown. Need one pair of shorts, top, undies and shoes
with backs not flip flops. Toothbrush and paste. Forget makeup! Keep it simple! Let me know if you have
any concerns. Lean on me.....like the song!

Right, @SwimGirl! And with this new back pain (perhaps a broken rib? or hurt back muscle?) it is more difficult for me with the added pain. And will be even more difficult with the 20 pound restriction for 8 weeks. Sigh. And now the other surgeon wants to see me before the surgery, and I have an appointment with him on Tuesday morning. Won't really believe that I am going to go under the knife (and saw and hammer!) until after that appointment. I am making lists, but not packing anything yet.

All the best to @gertie, too. I was such a neophyte before my THR. Had not been on any forums, and had no clue about what was going to happen. You are way ahead of me, Gertie, in preparation for your surgery!

thanks @SwimGirl Possibly some mutual leaning required! I check in at the hospital the night before so they'll provide the clean sheets (although I'll make sure my bed at home also is clean and waiting for me). I wonder what the temperature will be in the hospital as I think about clothes.

@Krista. I went to a rehab hospital after my bilateral TKR. I don't think my husband could have taken care of me at home -- especially after several complications set in. I had PT/OT 2 hours twice a day so it wasn't a vacation but they really took care of me medically and taught me the basics that I could continue later with out patient. It wasn't my choice to go but I'm glad I went.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Well, Triplets, it's getting really close. Are you all ready?

@Busterbean Ha! Ha! Triplets! you are so funny! I actually have not given it much thought at all this time around.
Last time I was not knowing what to expect, so I was a little apprehensive. This time I am thinking, I hope I go early enough in the morning so I don't get hungry. Thank you for asking! So sweet!

@gertie How nice that you can check in the night before surgery instead of getting out of bed at 4 to get there
by 5 15. Just my luck I will be doing the same thing again. Hospitals are always cold so at least take a sweater for your shoulders. I couldn't wait for my warmed up blanket. Brrr! They give you bright yellow nonskid socks here so you look really beautiful along with the open gown. After surgery....you just don't care!

@Krista Oh dear! another appointment to go to. I pray that all goes well and if it is meant to be it will
happen. Otherwise, you do not need this added stress which could make recovery more difficult. A step at
a time! Keep us posted! We will be thinking of you on Tuesday. Also, @gertie just like Krista I was making
quite a few lists before surgery. It helps to occupy the mind because you need to mentally have some control
over the situation. I know I will not be taking notes during the procedure...I will be in la la land! Zzzzz

@BusterBeans, I am looking forward to rehab! It will be much easier for my loved ones. Also, I think I am only covered for PT once a day, and it will be more like occupational therapy, since my doctors don't want me to do anything except walking with walker or crutches, self-care, learning how to negotiate all of that with the 20 pound weight bearing. So that part won't be too bad.

I am getting things in order, as best as I can with my weak back. Asking for help whenever I need it. Don't even want to pack until I get the ok from the surgeon on Tuesday. I am sewing special pillow covers for my daughter with blue sky and white clouds on them for her to put on her bed. I find it calming!

@gertie, I wish I could check in the night before, but around here insurance won't hear of it, as they would have to pay for an extra day. So I'll probably have to get up at 4am, after maybe falling asleep by 1am, and have to take another Hibiclens shower. Just awful! I am NOT a morning person. But I'm grateful for being able to have the surgery, and none of my health care costing a penny for me for me anymore this year, except for the monthly premiums, of course. My insurance has been billed approximately $125,000 for my care so far this calendar year, not even counting the upcoming surgery. With the contracts with providers, they pay much less, of course, but in past years I often didn't even reach my deductible of $300. So you can see what a horrible year it has been for me. I've put out maybe $2,000 out of pocket, plus medication co-pays.

@SwimGirl, the appointment will go both ways, him checking me out, and me expressing my concerns. I have a list of requests to make sure the period immediately after surgery goes better for me this time than last time.

Wishing hard that all those going into surgery for the rest of this month have the best possible experiences!

@Krista I was very surprised by the night before check in. They said we would not be considered patients so insurance won't be charged and that we wouldn't be charged either. I think it must just make things easier for them knowing they have a captive audience for the earlier surgeries.

@SwimGirl Good tip to take a sweater--and yes, we'll get bright yellow non skid socks as well and I imagine it is a wonderful look with the hospital gown!

@BusterBeans As ready as I'll ever be! Well, still some tidying up to do--and I need to do some laundry and pack a bag and finish some stuff at work and...then I shrug and say If it doesn't get done it's not the end of the world.

@SwimGirl Best wishes for tomorrow! Can't wait to hear how well your surgery went and how fast you're swimming with two bionic hips! Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back