TKR I made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jana, great to hear the good news! Doing away with those TEDs is always a treat. So happy for you that you have a PT who understands and practices the BoneSmart way. You've no place to to but forward! Take care.
1hugsmile.gif

Jana,
Good to hear you are back on track and that you have a good threapist. If you have any more episodes with AFIB there are both perscription and procedural corrections that can be done. I had both AFIB and SVTs and ended up getting a heart ablation in 2003 and haven't had any more AFIB or SVT. I still have bouts irregular heartbeats but they are the bothersome kind not harmful.
Didn't have to wear the TEDS, so missed out on that fun:heehee:

Hi Jana,

Good to hear your report! Finding a good pt is like making a new best friend, it is a wonderful feeling! I hope the progress continues!

I hated the Ted hose in the hospital and right after TKR because they were such a pain to get on and off. However, once the incision was healed, I cut out the foot and used the hose to help relieve swelling. Without the foot and bandage to go over they were much more comfortable. Also, since I didn't "have to" wear them, i didn't feel like I was being tortured, it was my choice. Just a thought for down the road.

Be well,

Dawn

Dawn is correct, so don't toss them into the trash right away. I used support hose for quite a time after the tkr. I could not use the ones from the hospital however, because they seem to put "large" on everyone. They fell off my thigh and would sort of pool around my knees!!! So, I did get some smaller ones in black!! I am so happy to see footless tights around now---I have always cut out the foot part of tights---it just makes them well . . . too tight!!

Jana, I have atrial fib. and have had it for years! I had an attack like you had when I was still teaching, and they called the ambulance! When I got there, a bunch of people were around my bed, and finally I heard, We are going to give you something that is going to slow the heart down! Next thing I knew I had an awful headache! I have occasional quick episodes now, but I just (I am not recommending the following to anyone, I do it because it works for me)! Take my fist and hit the breastbone. It seems to quit the "jello" mode pretty fast. I am on digoxin which keeps me from having to do "my procedure" very often! :heehee:

Prior to my TKR everything was off in the way I walked. Now that I'm "relearning " how to walk I realize I need new shoes and shoes that have a good amount of cushion on the ball Any of you that might have recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My feet are crying out :/

Hi Jana,

I developed plantar fasciatis in my right foot a few weeks ago. It feels just like I am walking on a stone in my heel. Not sure if this is how you feel. There are several brands you might try; kelso earth shoes which are helpful for what I am dealing with. New balance and Keenhave been both recommended as well.

Hope you get relief soon! Good luck!

Dawn

Many of us have been told to get new shoes after our TKR because we will walk differently with the new knee. Old shoes hamper your walk and cause pain. Before my TKR I limped for years and wore my shoes badly. So to put them on after now having a strong straight knee, would cause more problems. So you have to get new ones and good ones too!
I bought new shoes and got good shoes with plenty of cushion and comfort. I have found that orthoheel shoes helped me to walk by placing the heel first. I like the mary janes. They carry nice sandals too. They run large and they are expensive. No more flip flops or going bare foot. You need good arch support and cushion. :thumb: I found aerosoles helped my feet when I was ready for a small heel and Clarks are great for comfort and support. Shoebuy is a good site and if you sign up for private sales you can get great deals on good shoes. :friends:

Also I see you are only less than a month out from surgery. Your foot will give you some fits :tantrum: before this is all over. It does get better and the shoes really help. My foot was swollen from a knee infection and it took some time for all of the swelling to go away. Welcome to Bonesmart and good luck in your recovery. Feel free to ask any questions, and we will answer you from our experiences. :flwrysmile:

In response to the plantar fascitis, I developed it 2 months ago. They said I had probably developed it after my knee surgery, from the trauma of walking a new way. They x-rayed my heels and they are both total heel spurs. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to have to get my walker back from my friend. Anyway, same foot that was hurting, I had the neuroma shot with cortisone, and also had tripped on a ladder and broke my toe...a real mess. I was really fortunate the cort. worked. I went up a month later and had the heel spur shot. They usually shoot from the inside, and Dr. said it's not a nice shot. Since my heel spur pain was in the very back of the heel, he was nice and shot it laterally and it wasn't so bad. He wasn't sure if it would help but it actually has helped. He changed my excercise for the plantar fascitis. I have a night splint but have not opened it yet. I notice when I sleep at night i severely point my feet down...it was kind of disappointing to have this problem come up but think I'm getting somewhere at last. Walking barefoot is supposed to be a no-no and I did a lot of that after my BTKR's.

I went to Foot Solutions and bought some shoes, but more importantly wearing shoes that are more sturdy and higher off the ground.

I had been hoping for this, and they gave me a call to confirm tonight is my last dosage for the warfarin. This, perhaps will now allow me to stop with the Norco, and (Keeping fingers crossed) go back to the tramadol/motrin combination. The Norco makes me so constipated and there is always a lingering nauseous feeling in my tummy. Tramadol worked well for me, and I will see my OS this Thursday.

I was SEVERELY valgus prior to the TKR (Still I can't figure out how to post pics, and you all have told me how to do this a couple of times). Anyway, I purchased a new pair of nice New Balance shoes and have noticed a good amount of ankle pain. In fact, it hurts more than my knee. Do you think that it's because my leg is so nice and straight now, and prior to this my ankle had adapted to the crooked limb? Has anyone experienced how this all works (ankle pain diminishing ETC)

On a positive note, I can now sleep for 4 hour increments. Prior to this, I would sleep 2 hours here and there (VERY annoying)

As always, thank you for the input and I HOPE everyone is feeling supple, limber, and have good pain management.

xoxo

JANA

moving mouse with list.gif
Yipee! for the no more Warfarin! With the realignment of your leg, I suspect that might be the cause of the ankle pain. Muscles and things having to work a little differently. And great that you able to sleep at least 4 hours without waking now----that's always a big plus!

If you don't mind, Jana, could you please add what surgery you had to your signature, i.e., LTKR or RTKR. It's a big help when reading lots of posts. Thanks!
santa pulling sleigh.gif

Equestrienne - this is the second time I have merged your threads.
Please comply with the forum rule and stick with one recovery thread.

I'm pleased for you but have to say that Tramadol is also known to cause constipation! Sorry and all that! Plus, why don't you use Tylenol (1,000mg) with Tramadol instead of Motrin? It's a much better analgesic, goes well with Tramadol and doesn't pose a danger to your stomach.
You might also find this helpful Constipation and stool softeners

have noticed a good amount of ankle pain. In fact, it hurts more than my knee. Do you think that it's because my leg is so nice and straight now, and prior to this my ankle had adapted to the crooked limb?
In a word - yes! :wink:

Thank you for merging the questions and threads! Makes it so much easier for me. Well, I now have my official PT horror story. I have been doing really well in my recovery according to my O'S and other therapists. I am at 115 on my flexion (it was 110 the previous visit) the bottom number went from 28 to 12. Apparently not fast enough for this guy. He had me lay Dow on the table and he proceeded to shove down hard on my kneecap. I asked him to stop, telling him how bad it hurt. He shrugged it off and bad me move along to another station. Still reeling from the kneecap pushing. I got wobbly and almost went down. He ran to the supply cabinet and got me a lollipop. He stated I had low blood sugar.

I barely could sleep. My hubby had to keep me on ice most of the night. My leg had swollen to huge proportions. I fear going back to PT. is a complaint warranted?

Absolutely...and refuse to use that therapist again. Also report this to your health insurance company ( mine takes complaints very seriously) and to your surgeon...(again, my surgeon is pretty proud of his work and would be very upset if someone did this to me). Rest, ice and elevate lots today and take it easy.

I feel very vindicated. When I saw my OS last week, I told him how sore and swollen I was after the episode with the PT. OS says " you're doing great, with flexibility and range, I want you to tell the PT that he is to ease up and focus on gentle stretching and getting the quad a bit stronger. The OS doesn't want any of this to be needlessly painful. It made me so happy for him to "back me up" :happydance: I tried about 45 minutes of Christmas shopping. WOW, I was completely BEAT after this adventure. I don't know how long it might take to get to the endurance level of shopping. Once I arrived back home, I was icing , elevating, and resting for a good amount of time. In a nutshell, I WAS BEAT.

polka.gif
Jana,
just follow the BoneSmart mantra:

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

You're just barely a month post op----still lots and lots of healing going on and the body needs lots and lots of rest. Overdoing can set you back----so you have to resist the urge to do things you know deep down in side you have no business doing. Shopping will come---lots of time in the future for that.

Wishing you and yours,
merry xams ornament.gif
Santa in his sleigh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Susie-Q
    Staff member since February2, 2022
  • Jockette