THR Gingko day 5 after Direct Anterior Approach THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingko

Hi All,
I had my DAA with Dr. Matta in Santa Monica (LA). I had a Corail stem installed with ceramic head and poly cup. Dr. Matta told me that the ceramic cup had been recalled and therefore he gave me a poly cup. The nurses at St. John's have been fabulous except for one nurse from a registry. I had a spinal anesthetic and woke up without any pain and then a few hours later the pain set in in my upper thigh/hip. I had absolutely no headache from the spinal! I have been taking Norco ever since along with Toradol (NSAID) when the IV was still in place. The first few days were pretty rough pain wise because when I took 2 Norco I became loopy so preferred to take only one. I'm now taking 1 1/2 Norco 10/325 every 4 hours during the day and 1 pill twice every four hours after bedtime. Now I am pain-free when sitting or lying but have a lot of pain when I walk with the walker. I'm using two large bags of frozen peas for ice therapy. i have an ice machine that I used in the hospital but find it too difficult to refill at home.

I'm following Josephine's guidelines and only walking to the bathroom and kitchen for the first week- plus doing some PT exercise in bed. It's great not to have restrictions because of the DAA. The nurses told me that patients do well who have not waited too long for the operation- whether it is DAA or other approach. But I think having the incision in front means it is not painful to sit and I can even lie on my non-operated side. I'm hoping things will progress. For now I am very happy that I can spend my recovery time reading, working on the computer, drawing, watching TV and movies, radio and visiting with friends. I take my pain meds on a schedule, even in the middle of the night in order to keep the pain manageable. I'll keep you up to date on my progress.

Thanks to everyone on BS !!!!

Gingko

That's excellent, Ginko! I have a feeling you will do really well and have a reasonably comfortable recovery. :thumb:

Ginkgo, Congratulations! I also had the DAA and same prosthetic set-up, and had made decision to do surgery before I had deteriorated severely. Am am now 19 days post op and doing great, would say I have been independent at home already for at least a week. I am sure that you will be enjoying a similar swift progress in your recovery. Best of luck to you!

Way to go Ginkgo !! Having the DAA sure does make a nicer recovery doesn't it? You sound as if you had the same pain management regimine in the hospital that I did. I too was given the Norco 10/325 and Toradol in the hospital and continue the Norco after getting home.

Take it easy and don't over do it !!

Congratulations on your new hip, Ginko. It sounds like you are well on your way to recovery.

I moved your thread to the Post Op forum as you had started it in Pre-Op. @gingko:

I wondered where you were Gingko! Glad you are on the other side! Well done - please keep us updated!

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for you well wishes! Everything was going well but then a friend brought over some yummy chicken soup. I ate way too much and became nauseous the next day. Was afraid I had gotten sick from taking Norco on an empty stomach but then vomited huge amounts chicken soup! I wonder if it had been spoiled. Anyway I was afraid to take anything but my essential enteric coated Aspirin which is being given for anti coagulation along with prilosec to protect the stomach. So here I am 7 days post op with no pain meds for about 15 hours! Actually I don't feel as bad as I thought I would and will just eat bananas, white rice, crackers and soft boiled eggs today and may try to take just extra strength Tylenol. What do you all think? What an ordeal!!!
Thanks for your support,
Gingko

Hi Gingko, so sorry you got sink. I would be more inclined to think you got bug of some kind. If the soup was off in any way you would have gotten sick quite quickly.

Hope you are feeling better!

Gingko,
Sorry to hear about the nausea, what a rotten time to have a bout of it for whatever reason. I am impressed however, that you are off the heavy duty pain meds and I will be curious to see how that goes for you. I am now 3 weeks post op and now taking 50 mg Tramodol 2 x day.

Thanks everyone for your support. I agree, I think it was a bug. I started myself on plain acetaminophen (Tylenol) but it did not help the pain which returned with fury. I'm now at 8 days and put myself back on 1 1/2 Norco 10/325 and am back to baseline with pain which I have mostly with walking. Looks like I'l be on narcotics a while longer. Do you guys eat something with the narcotic even in the middle of night? How much food is it necessary to eat? A couple of crackers? Half a banana? Thanks for all your knowledge and support
Gingko

Even a single cracker is a good idea if you find the meds upset your stomach Ginco. My meds always say that if you eat you may not get the full effect of the pain relief, so I always tried to minimze how much I ate before I took pain meds.

Of course, if they make you sick, a few dry crackers is better than a banana. Please don't be in a hurry to get off the pain meds. Eight days is way too soon to even think about it. The more active you become, you may actually need more, not less!

You should also be on a schedule for your meds as well so that you are not having to play catch up on pain relief. Glad you are feeling better...

Janet is right Ginko - way too early to be even thinking about getting off pain meds. Stay ahead of the pain for now. Plenty of time to decrease when you are further along.

Glad you got over the bug! Time for some serious healing!

Re: Gingko day 10 after Direct Anterior Approach THR

Thanks everyone. Sounds like dry crackers are better than banana? And only one or two crackers would be enough to coat the stomach? I'm experimenting with about 1/4 cup cooked oatmeal. Seems to work OK.

I was dealing with constipation with two Senokot (senna) and 1,000mg of magnesium oxide but that does not seem to be doing the trick anymore. Any suggestions to add on to that regime?

Otherwise I'm doing great. I'm 10 days out today and the PT came yesterday and had me walking with a cane instead of the walker although he told me not to do it on my own. I seem to be able to tolerate more weight bearing which feels like progress. But after he left I hurt a lot so used ice. I have an ice machine but it's difficult to use on my own so I've been using two giant bags of frozen peas. But the peas are very heavy which does not feel good on my thigh so I'm thinking of having friend set up the ice machine for me. Ideas?
Many thanks,
Gingko

Hi Gingko, Glad to hear about the progress. Re: icing, I assume it does not feel good because the area is still too tender to support the weight of the giant bags of peas. I have been using various sized reusable cold packs - so you can choose a size that works for you. Also, you can take a sturdy plastic bag, or those sealable sandwhich bags, put whatever amount of water seems right for you, seal it tight, and then allow it to lie flat in the freezer - you can make a whole bunch to get you thru the day. Happy experimentation!

Re: Gingko day 10 after Direct Anterior Approach THR

I was dealing with constipation with two Senokot (senna) and 1,000mg of magnesium oxide but that does not seem to be doing the trick anymore. Any suggestions to add on to that regime?

Gingko

I had numerous issues with this. I did stool softner everyday and took Milk of Magnesia (they gave me that in hospital as well to go) and that helped. Also my GP always told me to take Miralax and that helps me as well.

Good luck, it's not fun to feel like that.

I, too, was given Miralax every day in the rehab. I continued to take it when I returned home for as long as was necessary. It is odorless and tasteless and NOT a laxative, simply a stool softener. You can ask you OS office if you are concerned. it can be mixed in anything, water, coffee...

Aslo, try prunes or prune juice. I had great luck with stewed prunes (simmer about 10 in a cup of water for 10 minutes, let cool & eat). Very tasty as well!

I still take Dulcolax stool softener as I still take Percocet. NOT Dulcolax Laxative though, just stool softener. I found these brand names to work better than others and worth the added $$$. Good luck.

Re: Gingko day 12 after Direct Anterior Approach THR- constipation!

These are great ideas! Thanks everyone. I think I will try prunes and Miralax and decussate stool softener. I have heard that the fiber bulk agents such as psyillium seeds are not effective whilst taking narcotics and can cause obstruction so think I'll stick with the stool softeners and dietary bulk such as prunes and veggies and fruit.
Last night I did do a glycerin suppository which worked so now I have a clean slate to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member