THR Eliquis post-op?

Catlover51

Country
United States United States
Hi,
I had my surgery on 12/27. My surgeon prescribed Eliquis because I have an estrogen patch. Last night I had terrible neck pain, headache, nausea and vomiting. The Health app on my phone says that there can be a serious interaction btwn Eliquis and Colocixeb which I've also been prescribed. I'd prefer to take aspirin instead of the Eliquis. Has anyone else had this issue with doing HRT and needing to take Eliquis? I did put an email out to my surgeon as well.

@Catlover51 Welcome to BoneSmart! I am not familiar with Eliquis so unfortunately I can not answer your question. I am glad to see you have contacted your surgeon about this as he/she would be the best to advise you about it. I don't think aspirin alone will be enough to handle the pain of hip replacement. Hopefully your surgeon will have other ideas.

Here are our post op articles and suggestions to help you have the best possible recuperation!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Eliquis is a powerful blood thinner and yes, comes with side effects!!!
Definitely reach out to your surgeon on this - there are other meds in between Eliquis and aspirin that he might order as a compromise.

Probably prescribed Eliquis due to estrogen patch.
My grand daughter developed two pulmonary embolisms back in May they believe from a combo of Covid shot & birth control pills. She was on Eliquis until late August.
I'd definitely call doctor is you are getting these side effects.

Hi Catlover,
How are you doing this evening? I hope you heard from your surgeon's office, received advice and you're feeling better. Best wishes for a peaceful evening.
@Catlover51

Let us know what your doctor says about what's going on with your prescription.
Hope you hear something.
Sometimes doctors prescribe meds under an abundance of caution given other meds you are already taking.
I know I did aspirin for 30 days after my surgery. I did have history of blood clots in my late 20's but in my 70's now & my OS felt aspirin would be just fine.
all my best!

Thanks you all! Feeling better. Surgeon did email back. He wants me taking all the meds as stated so I'll do it at least for the next week or so... haha. I would prefer to take the aspirin but I know he's worried b/c of HRT but really my estrogen is lower than a menstruating woman so it shouldn't be a concern.

9 days post-op: While I have minimal pain and I can walk around much better, my energy is quite low, I seem to have a little cold, and I feel feverish especially in the evenings- temp around 99.5-99.8. Is this normal? (Covid test negative)

Yep, normal!
Major surgery, even if you didn't have a general anesthetic, affects our physiology and metabolism in ways that let the body focus on "repairing itself." That doesn't leave a lot of energy for activity (mental or physical!) for a few weeks.
The temperatures you're recording are not concerning. We know that most humans don't live at 98.6; 100 is a low grade fever. As far as I can tell doing some research, most surgeons want to hear from you if you're running 101 or higher.

Oh thanks for getting back to me! I didn't know that there was a reply as it didn't notify me. 3 weeks out and doing much better. Thinking about going back to week 2 days next week, 3 hours each day.

Best Wishes tomorrow, Catlover!
I hope we'll see you on the healing side of the forum once you're back home and you
feel up to sharing an update with us. Please join us! Hope to see you soon. :wave:
@Catlover51

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom