TKR Done Friday March 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You ask if what you're experiencing is "normal." Yes....it's normal to have huge ups and downs in recovery from a TKR. It is really rough surgery. So many times when people first come out of their surgery, they are operating on some of the pain relief provided by the procedure. It takes a while for that to dissapate. But, in the meantime, some folks feel like they are going to be really pain free and they overdo activity a bit. That results in swelling (and pain). A steady diet of rest, elevation, ice and pain meds will make things better.....but it takes much longer for swelling to go away than it does for it to come on.

I think you're doing just great. You're going to need to find the right balance of activity and resting that suits your own body and how it wants to handle healing. Every person is different.

Just keep remembering this is temporary. You will get better.

But when I try to get up, my knee burns, feels like it is going to rip apart from the swelling. Today, Friday, and I am worse than I was the day of surgery. .... Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
Quite normal! The swelling you had on day one was only day one's swelling! Since then it's had several more days to up the ante and really get going. Thing is not to panic because this is how it goes for some people. Just rest, elevate and ice more and be sure to take all your pain meds before you get pain not after.

Remember, swelling acts like a water-filled cast. You may know that a leg in a cast cannot bend and that's not because the joint is stiff but because of the cast! Get it? Concentrate on the swelling and pain and in time, you will find you have all the bend you could want.

Thx for all the advice. Guess I am thinking it was going to be a lot easier than what I have been dealing with so far :DOH:. But I am learning what I can and cant do :cry:. Just frustrating that I have not been able to curb the pain, no matter what :hairpulling:. I have Percocet and have instructions to take 1 to 2 pills every 4 to 6 hours. I have been like clockwork... 2 pills every 4 hours. Longest I made it was earlier in the week when I was actually getting a little sleep :sleep: and I was actually a half hour over. So no skimping on meds. Food and water are the big ones, I need to be drinking plenty, as well as taking in an extra 250 calories a day to help heal a surgucal incision... but pain has been so bad, I have felt sick :wacko: when I eat much or drink much. I have started trying to force a lil more liquid and food down over the past few days though. Wonder if taking my pain meds with a few cold beers would help :beer2:. :hate-shocked:

Ok, so went to the doc for post op. All looks good. Got to see my X-rays and my new Biomet Vanguard knee. Looks good. He was a little concerned with the swelling being as bad as it has been. He was not surprised though. The incision was MUCH larger than normal for this procedure, due to entering via an old incision. Plus the amount of cleaning and scar removal that was done in there in Order to get that new knee in. He said it again, 'dude, that was the ugliest knee I have ever worked on, in terms of the condition it was in, so your doing GREAT considering.'. He said to stay aggressive with PT, and take pain meds, and he added an anti-inflammatory, and neurontin to my list of meds.

Kevin, wow, sounds like you have plenty to have pain for!! Hopefully the added meds will help you. Take care!!

Ok, after a rough first week, and a lot of swelling, I will say, yesterday, last night, and this morning have been some of my best moments. Had a 'more aggresive' PT session, where we stretched this thing out and did a lot more lifts, eel slides, etc.. To top it off, I have mild foot drop on that leg from nerve damage, and my foot was trying to draw on me, we did some gressive calf stretches, and I gad my dad build be some blocks I can use to stretch my foot out while sitting at home. This knee got angry, and was stiff and sore by the time I got home. Ice and elevate for a lil while. Pain med, nap. Woke and the knee was not as angry. Slept in bed last night, 4 hour first clip, took my pain med, and 3 hours second clip. Best sleep in a long while. Slept on both sided off and on throughout the night. Felt great. This am, no where near as stiff, no where near as sore. Walker has not been used since yesterday afternoon, just my cane. Nothing being used to get to restroom which is across the room from me. So I must say,I am very happy. First week was discouraging to say the least, but after my breakdown the other day, then my breakthrough yesterday, I feel much more positive now. (Breakdown was fun... Had not slept more than 3 hours a day for several days, could not get comfortable, swelling not going away, pain, etc... Back, back of legs, and butt all sore from sitting so much. I finally broke down, crying, in front of my wife and 10 yr old daughter. Told them I was tired of it all, wanted to get the leg amputated from just above the knee, down. Was tired of that knee, hurting me so much for 20 years, just wanted it all to be over. Wife gets all distraught, calling Doc office, hospital, my mom and dad, etc... 10 year old trying to calm her, telling her it will be ok, if it hurts daddy that much, maybe it would be better. Oh I created a mess. I finally pulled myself together, felt better mentally. Apologized for being such a big cry baby, and calmed the family down. Feeling tons better now.) just thought I'd share.

Kevin-

The surgery, aggressive PT (cut that stuff out now!), meds, pain all contributed to your breakdown. I don't think there are many of us who get thru this without tears and anger being spewed from time to time.

I'm 5 wks out from a having both knees replaced. Listen to the SR members here, this is a total roller coaster ride, you're up , you're down, you think you are back to "normal" and the next day brings more pain, tears and less ROM/FLEX. This journey is going to take alot of time.

I experienced some major stress when I began out patient therapy. I kept receiving conflicting info from the PT's and they all talk about meeting ROM and getting FLEX. I finally realized that I had to ignore their need for me to meet their expectations. I'll hit the numbers eventually but I understand that until the swelling is minimized there isn't a whole lot I can do. Like most other people here, none of the medical team including the PT's have had a joint replacement so have no real clue exactly how difficult some of the exercises can be. They really aren't able to understand the limitations at this stage in the game. I found once I started ignoring their mantra I got better at the exercises and relaxed. I'm convinced that eventually this will all work itself out.

Step back, read the threads of people who have already recovered and you'll probably see yourself in their histories.

Good luck!

Had a 'more aggresive' PT session
Kevin, please, if PT hurts OR if your knee in any way increases swelling or stiffness in the 24 hours following DON'T DO THE PT.

You do not help a damaged knee by flexing or bending it, any more than you'd help a broken leg by doing it.

When I say, 'aggressive PT' I am not saying, they are over me with a whip, forcing me into torture devices, and inflicting massive pain on me until I can't walk for a week. These guys urge me NOT to push myself into pain. I am urged to push myself as far as I am comfortable. They say if I am the hard headed type, and want to push harder, then I only need to push to the edge of ouch, and do not cross over into ouch. If I am caught pushing myself to far in their facility, I will be booted out. I have been very pleased with what they have had me do, and I feel better each day. Matter of fact, I feel much better by the time I leave them. My update for today, I am almost 90 degree bend, which is better than before surgery. I am able to do leg press with mild weight, with zero pain. I am taking pain meds only cause I am told I have to, but have not been hurting for two days now. Swelling getting much better. Walking with just a cane, not using anything most times around the house as of today. Still chilling under ice and elevated when sitting which is majority of the day. Sleeping most of the night, in my own bed, upstairs. I get up to potty at least once and to roll over at least two times. That wakes me as the knee is still stiff, and tender. But all in all. Looking good.

Kevin....it sounds like you have good therapists then. Please forgive us here if we take the word "aggressive" a bit literally. Sadly, there are many therapists who DO cross that line with people recovering from joint replacement surgery. We really try hard to catch those situations and get them stopped because REAL aggressive therapy usually is counter-productive.

Keep up the great work!!!

Aw, After I read your posts I wanted to give you a hug. I completely relate to the meltdown! I had advanced osteo, and last week I had a total meltdown that I had the surgery. And I can completely relate to the ups and downs, the swelling, and stiffness. I feel like there is a steel vice around my knee and a metal plate pushing through from the inside out. So much fun!
I had my third pt session today. He was really adamant on me getting a better bend, and I was like dude, my leg looks like an elephant is twice the size of the other knee. He apologized and said sorry, it will hurt, and we have to work on breaking up the scar tissue. I get conflicting advice on that.
Ok, back to watching Judge Judy. It is amazing what bad tv I occupy my day with!

Speaking of TV. I have not been able to make myself watch anything other than my regular shows. Before I went to the hospital, PBS was having a sale on Prime Suspect, the entire series. So I bought that, and we finished watching that yesterday. My students gave me a bunch of books and I haven't opened one yet! I try to read rge threads on BoneSmart.

:sleep::sleep:

Recovery here is like a roller coaster ride---you will have some huge ups and downs---not only physically, but also psychologically, too. for some reason, you will have great days, good days, and some real clunkers, too. Just ice/elevate/rest as often as you can---especially after PT and active days.

Try not to overdo it---(something that we all have done) and try not to worry about progress---it comes, albeit slowly.

For what it is worth, I went back to my classroom at eight weeks, and my knees were still quite stiff at the end of the school day; it can take quite some time to return to normal.

Why is it that we constantly hear that we need to rub the scar until it hurts in order to break up the scar tissue? I'm ready to scream about this issue. So if we don't touch the scar our knees will never bend? I'm gonna punch my PT's lights out if I she tells me one more time I have to massage the scar at least three times a day to break it up.

K, past 90 degrees. This past Friday was 2 weeks to the date since my surgery. 90 is better than what I had per op. PT still going well, and I have started asking for some weight to be added to some things. Felt real good today. Swelling going down. Moving around the house without my cane, 90% of the time. And no worries, I am not over doing it, I only push as far as I have been told I can go. Still lots of elevation and ice. :thumb:

Massaging the scar repeatedly or terrible things will occur. I'm frustrated over the conflicting information that is doled out by the therapists. If you aren't at 120 by week 6 you must have adhesions and won't get any better rom. If you don't massage the scars continually each day, they will seize up? My tolerance is at an all time low. I'll try better.....

Best to just try and chill, Bev. These folks mean well most of the time....even if they are grossly wrong. It's not worth getting stressed about. Just tune them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • CricketHip
    Staff member since June 5, 2019
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020