TKR DogLady: Reinvented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally do no have experience with PRP (playlet rich plasma), but there are studies showing efficacy in these cases. Your OS also may want to consider an MRI if not done yet.

Orthodoc

I've not been back to my ortho surgeon with the achilles since I figure it's a bit out of his interests, but do have appt with sports med doc in morning. Not sure where that will get me. Thanks for your input

Just an update if anyone follows: I went to a sports med doc today who looked at xrays and recommended I go back to the surgeon. He says that there are bone spurs on the upper aspect of my calcaneous that are rubbing my achilles. So we can symptomatically treat the pain in the achilles but it wont fix the problem without shaving off the bone spurs. I really dont want another surgery. But I also really dont want to live like this for much longer. He did an electrical stim treatment on the achillles, which I'm supposed to do once a week for six weeks and recommended Zostrix over the achilles to deal with nerve irritability....I have perpetual pins and needles in that foot. I actually slept a bit longer last night and it does feel better this morning I think. So good news in that. So I guess its back to the OS after the break. Any thought? Sorry...I know this is off knee topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Maggie-lee you certainly found out a lot of useful information at you sports doc. Now it's the decision making process for you yet again. I wish you the best in your next hurdle in life. I swear we never know what's coming at us next in this wonderful world of aging! :skep:

Thanks Jacky. I never thought I would age so quickly....never thought I would have all these orthopaedic problems. Just seems very unfair.
Best to you as well.

I know what you mean Maggie-Lee, when I turn 50 all he'll broke loose. From then on I knew I was in for a hell of a ride! That being said, I would never want to go back an start over again.:no-fin:

I felt the same way. Also, I am irritated that my hands have arthritis. Somehow I have two things---one, I don't mind being old---but I have having the problems of old age!!! Also, I am in good shape, can bike for 20 miles--who ever heard of someone like me having to deal with this stuff!!!???

Everyone of course has problems---I don't look my age, so I just assume that I should not feel my age either!!!

anew years party.jpg
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.

I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.

Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.

SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
anew years party 1.jpg
bottomshollow

Hi everyone

Thought I would pop back in and say hello if anyone is left that I know to say hello to. Hello to those I dont know as well! :)

My achilles tendonosis and the paresthesia in my lower leg is finally easing up. Someone put me on nortryptaline for 'nerve pain' and that seems to have helped quite a lot somehow. I can walk quite comfortably and for quite a long time on flat surface. I can go down stairs reasonably well if I dont get in too big of a hurry. Up stairs is still nearly impossible. Lots of pain in my surgical knee...and the non-surgical knee. Its funny that at about the 9 month mark after my surgery things were great. I was elated with my new knee. Now its not so good. So just trying to be patient and gentle with it and am accepting that I will not be like I was before my knees went sour.

I pop in and out a lot but dont often post. Nice to see familiar faces now and again. Hope everyone is doing well and new people are finding a not too bumpy path to getting back on your feet

:wave:Hi, DogLady! Good to hear your symptoms are better.

@DogLady,

Where is the pain occurring? I am sorry to hear that you are having problems!:groan:

Hi Maggie-Lee,
It's good to hear from you again! :):)

I'm glad your achilles problem is bothering you less, but sorry the knees are not as good as you had hoped. Is your TKR leg better than before the surgery?

I'm due to have my other knee replaced in September.

Best wishes,
Caryl

The most pain in the front of the knee below the kneecap. It's been such a long, bumpy road recovering from this with earthquakes, a broken femur and other assorted orthopaedic problems. I think I've finally gotten to the point of adjusting my expectations so I'm less distressed by everything. My surgical knee has complete extension and very good bend....I can get my heel almost to my bum...or as far as my chubby legs will let me. I think part of the problems may be weakness, If I try to go down stairs straight on, facing forward, it is very painful, but if I go down sideways, it's less so. So seems to me the problem is not bending teh knee but having adequate strength to support the bent knee? Dunno. I've not been to physio in a very long time, but have been thinking that now that I can walk again reasonably comfortably it might be time to go back and deal with the specifics of moving ahead. I dunno.

@Celle
Hi Caryl. It's not necessary better or worse than before the surgery, just different. Before I would walk on flat surfaces without a lot of ongoing pain. I can do that now quite well. But stairs still suck. Just need to be patient.

Hi Maggie-Lee, glad your achilles is settling down. I still get pain over the knee cap because the patella is maltracking because my quads are still weak. So your thought of not being strong enough could be worth pursuing I think.

Hope your house isn't in the zone in Christchurch that's had all the 100 year floods. Those poor people, their homes should be red stickered and then they could get the insurance and get out to new homes.

Fortunately I'm mostly dry. Life is a real struggle here now...after a bit you just get exhausted. I miss the old ChCh. :-(

Hi, Maggie-Lee. Sorry about the problems you're having. I still have trouble with stairs, although sometimes it seems a bit better than other times. It partially depends on the stairs -- whether or not they are "deep" steps which are harder. My hubby and I have just joined a fitness center which is covered by our insurance. So we don't have to pay for it. Hopefully physical therapy and exercises will help both of us. Take care.:friends:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom