TKR DogLady: Reinvented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always under the understanding I could call it off up to the surgrey. Now I do know that bone on bone doesn't get better, it get worse. Now you have a test coming up to tell you just where you stand. By all means do it. It might help with the discession. But make the date as I said you can always cancel it but do remember the knee can go back in a heart beat and if you cancel it you will have to wait longer. You also said that you gained so much of new life after the first one that means that you have more to gain. WOW. I would say yes and then start the process and get it over with. I realize that this is a ruff surgrey and shouldn't be taken lightly. My vote is yes but your vote is the one that counts the most. Take care. Tashia

Welcome back Maggie-Lee! I'm glad to see you're doing well kiddo! I totally agree with Tashia, she hit the nail on the head, you can always cancel, but if you make the appointment to do it at least you have that under your belt! Good luck with your decision my BoneSmartie friend!

Thanks you two. Nice to see familiar faces. I pop in every now and again to see what is going on, but just dont post often. Aren't you supposed to be off seeing the polar bears in Alaska, Jacky? My new knee is mostly doing well. Was doing great and then a few weeks ago I did something so it's not quite as comfortable. Stairs have become more of an issue. So I'm trying to be gentle with it for a few weeks so it will be up to the tramping adventure we have planned. Bit nervous about this. I'm an academic and sadly spend much of my life in front of a computer. I need to get out more and test the waters of my new knee.

Maggie we leave for Alaska on May 10th, can't wait! Now just staying busy getting close ready!

Now by "tramping" do you mean hiking, camping or something along those lines, because in my neck of the woods "tramping" means something entirely different and I don't think that's what you mean so I have to get it clear in my little head! :)

Yup....our tramping is 'hiking' to you. I'm going to the Queen Charlotte track in the Marlborough sounds....beautiful place. But we've decided we are a bit too old for roughing it. So we are doing a planned excursion where they pick up your bags at the beginning of the first day and drop them off at a lovely inn about 5 hours walking down the track. After a 5 course dinner and wine, we sleep. Then the next day they pick up our bags and take them to the end of the track to wait for us. I guess that makes me a Posh Tramp!! :heehee: (I used to be American so I know what you think of tramping!)

:rotfl: Now a "Posh Tramp" is doable! :loll: Now that sounds like a really nice time! We like to travel like that too, they pick up your bag and you don't have to lift another finger until the end of your trip, sweet! Now I would really enjoy the 5 course meal, wine and sleep, however I would have them drop me off with the luggage and wait for the others at the end of the track, while I read a book! :heehee:

Maggie-Lee, I agree with Jacky and Tashia. Let us know how it goes with the test. Your "tramping" sounds like a fun way to do it. I don't know if I'd be ready for 5 hours of walking before the wonderful dinner and night at the inn, but it DOES sound fun. I'd rather have the inn (or a nice B&B) as "home base", and go out to various places during the day -- relaxing on the porch at the inn/B&B in the evening.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you with your other knee, and getting better. Remember, you haven't reached the 1-year mile-stone yet. Of course, there DO tend to be times that some of us (myself included) overdo some physical activity, and then have to "take it a bit easier" for a bit until the knee feels OK again. Take care.

Hi everyone.....need a bit of advice again. :umm: I'm just over one year out right TKR. Everything has gone well. Recovered nicely with great ROM and complete resolution of knee pain. Was scheduled for Left TKR but have put that on old as its doing a bit better now that the right is fixed. Recent issue has sprouted up: For about a month I've been experiencing quite bad right lateral leg pain in the lower leg. Not my calf at the back, but the later leg. This usually wakes me up around 2:30 am and can't get back to sleep. But last night it started about an hour after I laid down. Very sore when I first get up in the morning but during the day its fine, very rarely aware of it until I stop moving at the end of the day. Of course, I also take an anti-inflammatory as soon as I wake up, so I dont know if the resolution of pain during the day is due to mobility or meds. I'm thinking it's been persisting long enough that its time to go to doc (I always feel like a hypochondriac!) Anyone else experience this? Wondering if it could be knee related or is just another ache and pain of getting a bit older.

Any help is appreciated. Hope everyone here is doing well and enjoying new knees. :thankyou:

Hi doglady. First you are not a hypochondriac. What you feel I real.
Second you know I've yet to b have a desperately needed ltkr.
But think you have answered your v own question. In that yes you should see a Dr.
Been over a year. And any unusual pain should be noted.
Especially if this a new developing pain. Which is what I got the impression reading your post. I could not begin to tell you what might be causing it. I will leave to the experts. But just wanted to share my two cents with and encourage you to notify Dr. Please keep us posted.

Thanks Sheryl. This is new. Seems a bit far away in time from my surgery to be related to my TKR, but you just never know. Thanks for your input. Hope you are doing okay.

Hi DogLady, I had my left knee done about the same time as your surgery. I haven't experienced the pain you describe, if I did I'm sure I'd go have it checked. I also wonder if I'm being a hypochondriac at times but I'm also a worry wart and that usually wins out.

I've missed seeing that sweet dogs face! He makes me smile :) I don't post often anymore either but do check in now and then to see how everyone is doing. I'll be keeping an eye out to see how you're doing.

Hi Maggie-Lee,

Like the others, I agree you should get it checked.
Caryl

Hi Caryl and Morning Glory. Nice to 'see' you both. Guess I might need to be calling the doc. Really tired of waking up at night in pain.

Hi everyone
Me again....popping back in. I think I just need to stay. I seem to be having just continual problems and am very grumpy about the whole thing. Tired of being in pain. Had my TKR...recovered reasonably well within first year. Last July started having significant lateral leg pain and tingling in my surgical leg as well as pain in my heel. Doc thought it was sciatic pain. I was patient to give it time to sort out. It is better...only a bit of residual tingling that comes and goes. But now (and for several months) I've had achilles tendonosis and bursitis in my heel. The physio thinks the tendonosis has come from weak leg muscles....perhaps I didnt do enough rehab after knee replacement so once i started moving more it put too much stress on my achilles. Anyway....hurts like hell. I havent had a full night sleep in months...wake up around 1:30 in a lot of pain and can't resettle. I'm really really tired of this and beginning to think there is no way out of it. Anyone else with this issue. I've about had it!

I'm being sneaky in the most obvious sort of way and hoping if I put another entry in, Orthodoc will see it...I see he/she online. Orthodoc? Have you see achilles problems associated with knee replacements? Any suggestions?

Hi Maggie-Lee nice to hear from you again. Sorry to hear that you are still having pain issues. I hope orthodoc can help get you some answers. I also missed your lovely doggie face avatar.:)

DogLady,

Achilles tendon issues are not common surrounding a knee replacement. However, (as they say) anything is possible. Typically, achilles tendonosis is treated with a period of immobilization followed by gentle stretching then strengthening. I do not advocate the use of steroid injections around the achilles tendon, as the chance of rupture is too great.

Orthodoc

Thanks Orthodoc. I wore a moon boot last month while I was traveling for work. Once home I'm back in a shoe and doing physio but doesnt seem to be easing much. Someone here wanted to do an autologous blood injection but I can't find anything in pub med that says it is particularly helpful. Very tired of all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
TKA TROUBLE
Recent bookmarks