THR Denny's Anterior Hip Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayeKaye

graduate
Country
United States United States
Today is surgery day at 7:30 am. Trying to sleep at midnight and get up at 4 am to get there by 5 am.

Must be over and done with by now. Hope all is well, anyway.

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Thanks!

Day 1, the operation.

Well it couldn't have gone any better. In by 7:30 and out by 8:45. The doctor was very pleased and said he had no complications. He woke up and was talking to the nurses. When I got to see him he was alert and happy, no pain yet from his spinal. He ate a light lunch of chicken noodle soup, chocolate ice cream and coffee. He was doing ankle pumps and sitting up. Not moving his leg yet of course. They have the long pillow pumps on his legs. Got to a chair and used a walker for a few steps but really the walking will be tomorrow. They expect to release him tomorrow or Saturday at the latest. Still on some pain meds and will be released with some.

Went to pick him up at 11am! He is doing great, hardly any pain, went up 15 steps at home, walking around the house. Had lunch. Sitting comfortably on the deck. Wow, I am amazed after my BTKR this is a breeze.

Day 2
He was very comfortable, is walking around hourly and eating normally. He got a good nights sleep and woke up refreshed. Taking some pain meds to sleep at 10:30 pm but didn't wake up till 5 am. He is doing the breathing machine and does quite well at it. He mentioned just now that he has no pain while sitting anymore. Very pleasantly surprised. He is wondering though if it's just the meds keeping him from feeling the pain.

@KayeKaye Hubs sounds like he's doing great! I would think the meds are helping him greatly, keeping them topped up is key in these early days of recovery.

Day 3
Another great day. Not much pain unless he twists so he is careful. Taking meds on time. And icing. Pain tolerable. Resting in the recliner, walking around every hour. Been up and down the steps 3 times today. Eating well. I can't believe how well he is doing. Really wishes he had done this sooner, but he had just found out about this anterior approach earlier this year. So I am glad he didn't have the conventional surgery earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great that hubby is doing well.
So I am glad he didn't have the conventional surgery earlier.
Recovery from any THR is not dependent on the approach used. Literally every recovery is different. For some, anterior surgery can be long and frustrating. Sounds like hubby is in the lucky camp!

I'm glad it worked out so well. It's good that he's not twisting. That can be dangerous. I had a fantastic experience with the anterior technique, as well. We are very fortunate.

Day 4

Last night and today has brought an upset stomach and diarrhea. Don't know what is causing this. He is sleeping a lot today. He was taking 2 tramadol but today went down to 1. See if that helps the nausea or if it amps up the pain.

Is hubby taking his meds with food? It's very important as some of this stuff is pretty heavy duty. Saltine crackers just before taking meds seems to help greatly.

If this continues I would call the surgeon. Nausea is common post op due to meds. But nausea and diarrhoea is a bit concerning. You don't want him getting dehydrated.

He has some nausea meds but they say it will/may cause upset stomach and constipation. So this like a merry go round. We will see what happens next. I will make sure he takes meds with food, don't know if he skipped that.

I kept saltines by the bed, used them for my middle of the night meds.

Day 6

Good to know Hip Hip Hooray. He has been careful to not eat meat, ha! So we will be eating more today. Give it a try anyway. And he does do saltines now with meds and is not nauseous anymore. Learning curve. He is feeling a lot better today and yesterday. Has showered today and then wanted to vacuum, go figure, so he did and it worked fine. Thanks all.

Day 8

Yesterday was not a good day. He did too much the day before and suffered for it. Didn't sleep much, was in pain. Switched meds again to OxyContin last night and slept better, with less pain. He is up and walking every so often.

Yeah, that's the thing...sometimes we do too much after THR surgery. You feel it the next day or two. It's a delayed reaction. I'm glad he slept better last night. The meds really help, especially at night. Sometimes I had to ice in the middle of the night.

Day 16

Went to the doctor yesterday for hubby's two week check up. Took xrays and everything seems great. Met another man about hubby's age that had his hip done right after hubby's and he was in great shape as well. This other man drove to the appointment. Hubby didn't think he could drive but today he backed both the cars in and out of the garage down our long steep driveway and re-parked them. So he feels like he can drive if he had to but I am insisting on doing the driving for a bit longer. He has had a couple nights where he needed a med, and is noticing a bit more pain as he overdoes it. He is going to take his ibuprofen and tylenol on time now to try to head off the pain. But really he is doing overwhelmingly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12
Recent bookmarks