• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
ByGosh. I can't remember if there is a hot tub. I don't think so, but if there is maybe just walk in that? I sit on the ledge in the hot tub and do the bicycle very gently before I do anything else. But I have been told that the water exerts 12x as much pressure on muscles than just walking so maybe the exercise bike with no tension is better?
We came back to the city as I have my check up with the PA at the surgeon's office. My husband is concerned because I keep bending over from the waist to weed the garden-he feels it's too much flexion. I have to ask about that, and find out just how bad the X-ray of the other hip was last time. At six weeks I didn't want to know, but it does ache if I am too active, so I need to ask.
My daughter came over this evening and we made pizza on the gas grill. It was hilarious, but so hot to be firing up a grill. Felt like we should have had salad and ice cream.
It seems to me that this new doctor should be able to understand that your ability to keep you job is on the line, and that you can't wait so long for the shots. Two weeks seems a reasonable time to wait, and then call to present the reality that you need your job and trying the shots is the best hope you have of working. He ought to be able to understand that you have to give notice.
I was also wondering if any one has offered you muscle relaxants. A lady I swim with in the country occasionally had a badly botched knee surgery in which her nerve was injured. It somehow causes groin pain and she was given muscle relaxants. She takes them before she swims.
I hope the rest and ice helps and that you activity is less painful. As you may have noticed I don't sleep too much, but since I'm having the check up in the morning I'd better try.
Stay cool if you can. I am not looking forward to PT this week.

I want to tell you all (and everyone who is anterior) that the OS told me not to do straight leg raises because it's all the ilopsoas tendon that is working when you do them. He said he tells all his patients not to do them, and he's been doing anterior for 20 years. He also cautioned about flexion - like bending over at the waist.
ByGosh getting caught up here, finally. This info the OS gave you speaks exactly to the things that hurt me-- I will believe him with all my heart! Although I have been bending over practically since day one, so long as it doesn't hurt. I have benefited from the experience of others here, and am babying my iliopsoas for a while yet. I hate that people have to go through bad stuff for me to learn from it, and wish it could somehow be different.
I was thinking about that "walking in water" exercise, and could feel my legs be challenged immensely specifically in the groin-- not so sure I want to do that one just yet. maybe backwards walking and maybe sideways? And thinking about bicycling in the water-- just holding your legs up, if you are in a sitting type position-- wouldn't that hurt too? Can you tell I've not been in a pool yet LOL...
Your Goshette's 20th b-day sounds lovely, just perfect for the summer! And then she went out with friends, right? What did you give her? Mr ZF turned 60 Saturday, and I gave him 5 swimsuits (they were massively on sale and he swims a lot of laps) and a Starbucks card....and of course the traditional chocolate cake.
I agree with LeeApril26 that you might be able to talk to this OS about moving more quickly into the cortisone shot, given the work deadline coming up. We're with you all the way! :)

just a LOT of walking, and... I feel real progress this week from doing that. Jo is scoring a lot of points!
Songlady I had some of that last week too-- even tho I actually walked too much too often, after i got over that part there was serious real progress. Makes me wonder if I should go to PT for eval and a new set of exercises today or not!

It seems to me that this new doctor should be able to understand that your ability to keep you job is on the line, and that you can't wait so long for the shots.
Dear LeeApril26 I just have to tell you that you're always so sensible and you help me by reinforcing just what I'm thinking. My husband does everything, but knows nothing about medicine, I'm in charge of all that, so he can't help me evaluate my dilemma in a way that's meaningful. He's sort of a 'right brain' kind of guy in a lot of ways- he's a Landscape Architect and good at art and design, I'm more practical. He's been wonderful through all this, though.

Anyhow, I agree with you and I called the OS office today and explained my situation, stressed my pain - somedays I really can't do anything - (like Saturday, and I feel today is winding up to be a bad one already.) and that I want to go back to work, but mostly get back to my life and I can't tolerate being in pain whenever I try to do anything. She'll talk to the OS and call me tomorrow. Another day...

Your hubby is being cautious about that flexion to weed, rightfully so. Please be careful. Try the golfer's lift, where you elevate the one leg behind you-I think the affected leg- and spare it from flexing from the hip. I get confused a little about which leg, as both of mine are affected. It's more of a back saving technique, but I think it helps save some hip flexion. Did you have anterior? That approach is more prone to groin problems. Posterior not so much.
I don't want you to hurt your groin. Can you sit to weed and then it's less of a bend?

I hope your PT goes well this week - is it just too hot to be back to the city? And tomorrow is supposed to be worse, I heard. You can always just go once..maybe.
I haven't been offered muscle relaxants. I'm thinking of Cymbalta, though - I know that can help pain. I've just made an appt. to see my primary for a heart to heart and some advice on the meds, the pain, what to do. I'm in dispair over this for the past day or two. I'm feeling hopeless, and I know that's a not a good sign! But 5 months of pain and set backs, inactivity, watching my husband do all of the work, is making me less and less like myself. My poor children have watched their Mom go from a highly functional and organized person, who ran the house, managed all of the health problems, the dogs, the car repairs, a part-time job, exercised and was active daily - to a person who is nearly disabled and can't function because of the pain it causes.
I'm sorry, I'm trying to stay positive.

Your barbecue sounds like fun - nice for your daughter to come and visit - but it was so hot. Pizza on the grill sounds good. We love homemade pizza, but can never seem to get it right - it's the crust and the oven temp. We eventually gave up on it. There's no sicilian or greek blood in us here! that's why maybe.:)

I have been told that the water exerts 12x as much pressure on muscles than just walking

zauberflöte LeeApril26 I didn't know that! I thought it was easier on us because of the water buoyancy. But I imagine walking would exert force, as we're moving through the medium of water, not air. Regular walking has the force of gravity of the weight bearing joints, though. I feel that walking on land hurts me more than being in the water because of the buoyancy. Maybe I should become an astronaut and live in outer space - no gravity there!:heehee:
The bicycling in the water felt good to me, but the OS was reluctant about it. I have not tried an exercise bike - I may decide to do it, but not right away. I need to let things calm down a little here.
zauberflöte I use the water because I've been a swimmer for so long. I'm just used to going to the pool - it's home to me. I don't know what's best for my 'problem' - it all seems to hurt eventually, so I'm confused about my activity, truthfully.
I can see why you got hubby 5 swimsuits. I would do the same thing, whenever I found a bargain on the ones I wore. They get eaten up by the chlorine. I use some chlorine remover to soak them in after I swim. I used to get it on-line - it's called Malibu Swimwear Care Crystals. It would prolong the life of my suits by about double. I'd go through a Speedo every 3 mos - this way they'd last about 6 mos. It's kind of hard to tell exactly, as I'd switch suits every day, but I'm sure it helped. I still use it.
I'm glad you're protecting your ilopsoas, too. Please, guard it carefully. You're smart to learn from others and be cautious. If it hurts - don't do it, especially in the groin. That's my new motto "There's no gain from groin pain"

We got my little Lucy some nice summer tops that she can wear at her gym job, a gift certificate to her favorite lunch deli (she loooves to eat out, and buys her lunch everyday - there goes her salary) a TENS machine (do you believe it? She saw mine and wanted one because her ankles and knees take a beating from her cheerleading, and fromteaching gymnastics and coaching - that's what she wanted, so we got one for her. She uses it every night before she goes to bed.:) ) She got Alex & Ani bracelets x3, a gift certificate for an oil change from her brother (she was actually thrilled about that one - she's got her own little car), a cute diamondy Mickey necklace key from her sis when she went to Disney, and miscellaneous other thingies. She was happy, we were happy to be together.

ByGosh, don't ever apologize for venting about how you feel! We all love and care about you and feel for you. It must be discouraging at times because this just isn't the outcome you were expecting when you got your new hips. It does sound like your OS is on the right track though and hopefully he will agree to giving you the shots sooner rather than later. But in the meantime, we are all here for you. And think of the party we will have when this is all straightened out!! :happydance:

Oh dear sqwerlie You're wonderful to be so encouraging to me. I appreciate your kind words and your understanding. It's the worst situation I've ever been in. I've had challanges in life, certainly, but I've always had my legs under me, so I could deal with them. This makes me feel helpless and vulnerable when I'm in pain.

My son was born 1 1/2 pounds at 25 weeks gestation and spent the first 3 mos. of his life in Newborn ICU. That was an incredibly horrible, stress-filled experience for me, a new Mom. It was heart breaking. But I went there every day, all day, just like it was my job, and I learned everything about the care of a premie, so I could take care of him and oversee his care. I caught many potential problems that would've become life-threatening complications if I hadn't noticed. I just knew him, like he was my own heart, so I could tell if there was any subtle difference in his condition. He was so fragile. Most of the docs around were new interns rotating through every 2 weeks, so they didn't know - and what they were interested in was getting the experience and performing every procedure they could. I made certain that no one touched him without my permission, so he was saved from all of those invasive 'septic workups' - spinal taps, caths, xrays, etc. that were so stressful to his little brain.
The attending told me he had a 25% chance of surviving and NO CHANCE of coming out normal. Thank god he was wrong - Max is now going to graduate school at Yale for his advanced degree, is an RN and works in the psych ER at Yale. He's brilliant, funny, kind, a good athlete, a great son and has a lovely girlfriend. So my hard work and devotion to him paid off.
I guess I'm reminiscing because I need to remember that bad things happen and can become better.

And you made me feel better with your post sqwerlie :) It's so important to have the support of people who understand what this is like, even if your not going through the exact same thing. Thank you.

How are you doing? I need to be encouraging you, as you're fresh post-op! I think your new hip is going to give you a good lifetime of service. You're doing so good, thankfully. You'll just get better and better, and stronger and stronger every day now. How great will that be?
And how's Le Monsieur PT Canadian, eh eh??:heehee: Avec le diamonds a chocolate?

Alas, ByGosh, I have had to trade in our Canadian PT for my current one. Now I love this guy, he is great at what he does and I have always had good results with him. But he is short, round and bald....although he may have chocolate in his office if I asked! :rotfl:

ByGosh I am so glad you called the doctor's office. That's great. I have a wonderful old friend whose husband is an MD, and she keeps telling me that we, the patients, are consumers, and it is the MD's job to satisfy the customer. This is your way of life on the line. It is not his job to decide what you can tolerate. Hope you get a rapid response, and if not, call back.
I had my three month check up with the PA today, and will post about it on my thread, but she said the bending should be okay. If I feel strain I should stop and ice. I had a lateral. My only restrictions are the breast stroke and sitting with my knees in, feet out. I will try the golfer's reach but usually can't stay in that position long.
You are right about water being easier on the joints, but it offers more resistance to the muscles, or at least that is what water aerobics instructors have told me over the years. I totally relate to your feeling less of yourself. I spent almost three months severely disabled before surgery, and required a wheelchair and cane to go to my son's wedding. I hated it, and I felt like I was withdrawing from the world and my friends, and everything. Very scary.
It's great that you've made an appointment with your GP, and Cymbalta sounds like it could be a good choice. I was also wondering about hypnosis. It is supposed to be helpful for pain relief. I've read that sometimes if the pain pathways are strong, it continues even when the cause of the pain is gone. As a nurse you probably know more about this than I do, but it does make sense.
I have two more PT sessions this week, then no more. The PA said that sometimes extended PT causes problems because they push too much. That sounded familiar!
Our pizzas yesterday looked awfully irregular, but tasted very good. I cheated and bought the dough from a local pizzeria. They cook on the grill in about six minutes, and are really easy to do, if somewhat oddly shaped.

Your post about your son touched my heart. I taught child care classes to at risk moms at a neo-natal ICU in Brooklyn many years ago, and it always amazed me to see how small the babies were, but how strong. I am so glad your son is doing well. My daughter was born with a severe heart defect. She was put on digitalis at a couple of weeks, and we were told she might not grow normally and would need many surgeries. Luckily, the defect healed when she was about 19 months old, much to the surprise and delight of all of us. She is 39 now, taller than me, and quite healthy-I am very grateful.

Aah ByGosh, LeeApril26 - when I read about your children the tears rolled down my face. My husband and I always wanted children but after nine years of marriage and every test available all those years ago, we just gave up on the idea. We kept being told how happy we must be that they couldn't find anything wrong with either of us. So, so wrong. I wanted them to find a problem and put it right so I could have my longed for child. Then after ten years I discovered that I was pregnant. Hazardous for me because I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Our beautiful daughter was born at 38 weeks but had a serious heart defect which meant that too much blood went to her lungs and not enough to her extremities. She was always very sick for the first 18 months of her life and like you ByGosh I protected her with my life. The defect was corrected at the Royal Brompton here in London and she has never looked back. She went to Cambridge Uni for six years and got an Honours degree in Vet Med, practised for three years, decided to change her career and is now a Senior Civil Servant working in Whitehall. She's an absolute joy. She and her husband are coming on holiday with us. And yes, we did get some new clothes in the sale. Oh how I love clothes. I wish we could have a day together and I could show you all around London and we could shop until we dropped! I think the current heatwave has affected my brain. I cleaned my cooker / oven / stove today. I mean a really deep down clean. I must be crazy. And I'm getting a bit worried about the 'good hip' as it hurt like mad yesterday - I'll have to keep an eye on that one. That's what I mean - why didn't I sit in the garden today and read a book? And dear ByGosh, if you get the cortisone injections the relief is virtually instantaneous. They work in less than a day - or at least they did with me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your OS will administer them. You were right to tell him your job is at stake. Don't hold back - just let them know what your life is all about and the awful, rotten pain you're suffering. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: xx Ros

Nylsor What joy that your daughter arrived and is now well. I think our daughters had similar problems. These days my daughter is a program manager for a foundation that deals with environmental issues, travels all over the world (China India, Thailand and most of Western Europe) and kayaks in the East and Hudson Rivers. When I think of her being too tired to nurse at two weeks, and look at her now, my heart fills.

Can't believe you decided to clean your oven today. Don't know how hot it is there, but in NYC it is about 97 degrees and very humid. I walked home from ordering new glasses, and I look like I had taken a shower on the street. Wish I could go to London and shop! Sounds like fun. I spent four days there once and loved it.

I didn't know that! I thought it was easier on us because of the water buoyancy. But I imagine walking would exert force, as we're moving through the medium of water, not air.
Walking in a pool has less impact on your joints because of the buoyancy. However, greater muscular force is needed to walk through water because it is more viscous than air.

The bicycling in the water felt good to me, but the OS was reluctant about it. I have not tried an exercise bike - I may decide to do it, but not right away. I need to let things calm down a little here.
Bicycling in water is more strenuous than cycling on a stationary bike with no resistance. Neither of these are what you need to be doing right now though. Speaking as someone who has experienced iliopsoas tendinitis, I found that nothing irritated my injury like that cycling motion. I would suggest staying away from that until you are well recovered from this.

I would also suggest using crutches to take some of the weight off and making use of your arms when rising from a sitting or lying position. That sit-up move, in particular, puts a lot of strain on the iliopsoas muscles and it is easy to keep reinjuring yourself.

Nylsor What joy that your daughter arrived and is now well. I think our daughters had similar problems. These days my daughter is a program manager for a foundation that deals with environmental issues, travels all over the world (China India, Thailand and most of Western Europe) and kayaks in the East and Hudson Rivers. When I think of her being too tired to nurse at two weeks, and look at her now, my heart fills.

Can't believe you decided to clean your oven today. Don't know how hot it is there, but in NYC it is about 97 degrees and very humid. I walked home from ordering new glasses, and I look like I had taken a shower on the street. Wish I could go to London and shop! Sounds like fun. I spent four days there once and loved it.
Yes, I think our daughters did have similar problems. She had patent ductus arteriosis which can close spontaneously but hers didn't and had to be closed surgically. Isn't it just wonderful to look at them now and rejoice that they are happy, fulfilled women. We must have done something right LeeApril26. It was almost 90F in London today and no, we don't have air-conditioning. Phew! It makes sleeping difficult. But I musn't grumble because last year we didn't have a summer and the Spring here was a continuation of Winter. And you never know - when you and I, and ByGosh are sitting in my favourite restaurant off Regent Street, having lunch and sharing wine, weighed down with bags of shopping, we'll look back at all this and laugh! :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: xRos

Nylsor. Sounds like a plan! Will start saving.
My daughter had a ventricular septal defect. The blood backed up into her heart. It was difficult and a lifelong reminder to be happy when you can.
We have AC in the living room and a guest room. Considering sleeping there tonight though I don't like AC at night.

alexthecat Thank you so much for that information and your opinion on the exercise. I wonder what I can safely do? I try to go to the pool, and paddle using my arms, and not my legs - just bending at the knee a little. I wonder if that's not good as well.
If you would explain a little more to me about your tendonitis, I'd be very grateful. Or direct me to you thread, if I can read it there. I wonder how you got better?
Thank you! :)

ByGosh LeeApril26 Nylsor reading your stories of your children wrenched my heart. The happy outcomes are a wonderful turn of events, aren't they. :) Our children really are our hearts. ByGosh "septic workups"? That sounds hideously wrong on a 2-lb newborn! I'm glad you were there for him!
After my shoe-shopping adventure yesterday I am having an ominous deep groin pain. I had to go out today, but am icing like crazy and hope to rest most of tomorrow. Have gone back to that golfer's bend, it really does take the pressure off the op leg (hardly applies to you, does it LOL) Hoping all is ominous only in my head :)

You mentioned chlorine remover to save your swim suits-- I can't even get the man to wash the suit when he showers after the swim! So forget special products, LOL. I get his trunks at swimoutlet.com, which sometimes has a great sale on them. He gets about 3 months too, before they turn transparent:shocked: :heehee:

After my shoe-shopping adventure yesterday I am having an ominous deep groin pain.

zauberflöte Oh dear - I'm afraid that everyone's going to be paranoid now with any type of groin pain because of my problem! I'm sorry it hurts you. But just keep icing and babying it - I'm sure it's not permanent and will subside. Try to massage it, too. Kim22 does that and she feels it helps. I also massage a bit, but the shoulders don't like it. Try the Elmore Oil when you massage, and the Arnica Gel - can't hurt and it may add some more antinflammation to the area.

Yes, I use swimoutlet sometimes. That's where I get the chlorine remover and my son's suits. I've gotten a few suits from them, but I usually look around at Marshall's or TJMaxx for cheap speedos. Not this year, though.

Shoe shopping? How fun - watcha buy? Anything good? I ordered 4 pairs of shoes from Zappos a few weeks ago, two different styles, two sizes of each. I have yet to decide if I'm keeping them, and which size. I can't quite bring myself to walk around the house trying out new shoes when things are hurting. I believe I have a year to return them. Hopefully I'll be able to decide by then!

Children are the best thing! I love mine - and all of them. That's what makes my school nurse job so great - the kids. All ages have something wonderful about them - their little brains, learning, growing - it's a joy to me.

Nylsor Just thinking about London and shopping makes me happy! :) It's a dream of mine to go to England and see London. I love the British way of life, and of course everyone loves Princess Kate. She's the epitomy of tasteful style and natural beauty. I love the way she dresses. It's just right to me.
LeeApril26 Wouldn't a trip to London be unbelievable? I read that you've been there, but I havn't. I have a bit of 'fear of flying', but after this, I feel like I'll just want to experience life again and not be held back by fear. So wonderful of Nylsor to mention it! How far do you live from London, Nylsor? Are you in a village or a town? It's just delightful to hear about the lifestyle there, and your way of speaking is charming.
Nylsor LeeApril26 - It's uncanny that the 3 of us had ill babies, and such a blessing that they are all grown-up, and healthy, productive, wonderful children now. You both had a scarey time of it for quite awhile, and are so lucky it all turned out well. Thanks to your loving care and attention. I was worried about my son for years, too, as he was a little behind developmentally for awhile - all premies are. But I did everything I could to catch him up, and he did catch up. He's very articulate - I'd spend all day just talking to him, reading to him, taking him to lessons, gymnastics, swimming, violin, piano - anything and everything I could to encourage him to learn. I'm sure that you both did much the same for your daughters - maybe in a different way as they had different needs.
It's such a miracle for you Nylsor that you got pregnant! You must have been so happy, and so proud now of her accomplishments, and her going to Cambridge. And a miracle for you LeeApril26 that your daughter healed on her own! You, too, must be so proud of her, traveling all over the world making a difference. How lucky we are.:)

I have had to trade in our Canadian PT for my current one.
he is short, round and bald
sqwerlie Gee, did you ever think that maybe your Canadian PT was the one who traded you off to someone else?? You may've scared him with your 'come hither' look! They may have figured that the new guy was a safer bet with you! :rotfl:

LeeApril26 I remember about those pain pathways continuing on, and that's another reason I'm anxious to get well. I don't want to become a chronic pain person. I've also learned that one can get fibromyalgia from chronic pain and stress, too. Although, I'm a little hesitant about hypnosis right now, there is a pain clinic here, and I know I may need them if this isn't resolved. I believe they do multiple modes of pain relief, and not just medication. That may be one thing they use, too. I would consider most anything to function normally again.
I hope you can stay cool in your air conditioning tonight. It's brutal outside and will be until the weekend.
Nylsor I forgot to mention that I appreciate your encouragement about the cortisone shots. I'm glad it worked so well for you and am hopeful I'll improve, too.
A hip xray would tell you if the cartiledge is getting thinner. It may set your mind at ease just to go and have it done. I just had shoulder xrays on Sat. because they're acting up, and the Rheumatologist said they were normal, so I assume it's tendonitis from overuse. I feel better knowing that they aren't heading right now for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom