Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

Status
Not open for further replies.
zauberflöte The sandal/sinus issue is related to my OS's objection to my wearing sandals ever again because of infection risk and this week his PA sent me to a primary care doctor because I have a sinus infection, and they were concerned again about a possible implant infection.
The primary care doctor I saw said that I have a better chance of winning a Powerball lottery in three states than getting an implant infection from a splinter, blister or a sinus infection. Interesting, no?

zauberflöte I know how you feel about the pains and the limitations. No one wants to give up what they love to do! I know you don't, and I sure don't, either. But sometimes it's not a choice, at least for me.
And those medications are worrisome, you're right about that. Taking the NSAIDS long-term can pose problems, so it's a struggle trying to figure out how to manage all of it and still have a good quality of life.
I had PT for the shoulders last fall - iontophoresis with dexamethasone - and it really helped! That, and no more lap swimming using my arms over my head in a crawl - just side stroke or back float paddling. It was very hard to accept, but now I'm just happy I can get to the pool at all! Talk about feeling old! :sad:
LeeApril26 just mentioned tumeric capsules helping her inflammation and pain - I asked for the dosage, as I think it's a great idea. I've heard of that before, so will definately give it a try.
BeckyR The name Peaches and Zauberflote oil is prettier than Elmore, that's for sure! And I do think it would attract attention.
Your husband was very smart to give you those answers about cooking. It shows he loved you for you, and he knew the food we ate as kids wasn't all that healthy. And I don't know too many of us who cook very artistically, either. A nice, healthy, fresh-cooked meal that everyone enjoys together is what it's all about, I think. :)
Did you have your replacement this week??? How are you doing?

ByGosh good to know about that iontophoresis (whew!) I can't figure out what it is, but it doesn't like not having its drugs LOL. I feel for you at the pool.....you know how I hate the problems you're having... :)

Hi ByGosh, I've had a busy week with one thing and another. How are you doing? I hope you have seen some small improvements with your hips. Sorry to read you are having trouble with your shoulders. That's a bit frustrating when you are coping with your hips recovery. Sending you best wishes from NZ!

octopus Littlejem Songlady zauberflöte Elosarabrab LeeApril26 Peaches TeeEm Kim22 Nylsor sandybeach Liveringer SeaSiren TennisNut clifford149 alexthecat Poppet bottomshollow and anyone else who I may have missed, or who happens by-

I have some information that you may find interesting, or helpful.

I went to a different OS today for a second opinion on my lingering groin pain. I didn't announce this beforehand on my thread in case the news was serious or bad - I wanted time to absorb it and discuss it with my family first.

The OS was very personable, listened, answered all of my question, explained himself well, examined me and diagnosed bilateral ilopsoas tendonitis.
He advised me not to do any more hip exercises, to just walk as tolerated, do my activities around the house, try an exercise bike if I wanted to, as tolerated (not if it hurts) and if it doesn't improve in about 6 weeks, he treats it with a cortisone shot in the area around the tendon.
He says he sees about 1 or 2 patients a year who have this, and those with anterior approach are more prone to it because of how the surgeon goes in to access the joint - the tendon can become inflammed.
It makes sense to me - He gave me a name for it, told me what not to do, what I can do, and a treatment if it doesn't work. He was very logical, experienced, direct, kind, nonevasive. I liked him and trust what he said.

So - it's not good news, but it's not horrible. I don't have an infection, the implants seem fine, I don't need surgery, he doesn't think it's Rheumatoid Arthritis, and he can treat it. So if that's right, hopefully I can get better.

I wanted you to know because you've all been so wonderful, helpful, kind, supportive, and just plain great!
It's not over, but I have hope that I'll get better, and with your continued friendship, I know I'll make it.:)
Thanks, guys! :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends:

time & patience 1.jpg
ByGosh, at least you have an answer and a plan of attack. Just gotta' gather up more PATIENCE and expend a little more TIME. You know we're here for you all the way!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. hugs 12.jpg

ByGosh so happy that you finally got answers that make sense. I do hope that just sitting back and letting time heal you will be on the road to recovery without any shots. But if you do need the shots that's the worse thing either. It's too bad you're still in so much pain after all you've been though. What caused this? Did the OS say?

ByGosh, I am sorry, but pleased that you have such a caring, informative OS.. at least now honey you know what you are dealing with, that is half the battle.

I am sure Jo will be interested in your post #826 Josephine

ByGosh I am so happy that you found someone who could diagnose and have a plan. It sounds sensible. And, I am very relieved that he eliminated RA. I was concerned about that, and the possibility that you would take those drugs. Given that you are encouraged to walk around, does that mean you can keep the TENS machine on for longer periods? I hope so. You need a break from the pain. My husband had a cortisone shot in his foot for plantar fasciaitis,(sp?) and it was very effective. He had two shots about a month apart ten years ago, and it never came back. Hope you don't need shots, but they do seem to work if you do.
Thanks for sharing the news.

ByGosh (And everyone else who reads her thread!) Just walking for new hips? Perhaps the message should go out to the physiotherapists who try to get us to do all those clamshells, leg raises, etc, etc!
Going back to the sandals thing, I tend to go barefoot a lot in the summer on our boat and on grass - I know, soles like old leather. The only time I had trouble was 20 years ago when I was wearing sandals and got a thorn in the side of my foot. This got infected and then went to a growth called a "pyrolytic granuloma" that had to be surgically removed. All the doctors and nurses at our GP surgery (local family doctors) came to look at it, most had not seen one before! And all this while I was doing my finals for my teaching degree. I passed, thank God!
If you are offered the shots, do try them - they have helped on my knee and shoulder.
Onwards and upwards - happy healing everyone.
Anne

This got infected and then went to a growth called a "pyrolytic granuloma" that had to be surgically removed. All the doctors and nurses at our GP surgery (local family doctors) came to look at it, most had not seen one before!
Also more commonly known as a granuloma. I can't believe they were so intrigued by it - I've seen dozens in my time! :scratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Loki54
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom