Back and hopefully braver now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I was allowed to shower once I got home. They just told me not to "immerse" and to pat dry with a clean towel. I used a clean "knee towel" every day. I had staples.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I love my OS and he is very highly respected and is an excellent surgeon. However, he is older and set in his ways. I thought it was crazy when his nurse said no shower until post op appointment. I asked because I was trying to decide about whether or not to get a shower chair. Hopefully she is wrong. I am going to speak with the PA before surgery and will ask again. On the other hand we had a conversation about pain meds as I have had issue with elevated liver functions and he said " I don't want you in pain! Take the meds, it's only for a few weeks." Glad he believes in pain control!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I won't wait very long to try a shower. A few days maybe but after that I will want and need one. Sponge baths and baby wipes can only help so much...lol.

@Minnie's knees, I took showers early on as soon as I felt up to it-I not only used a plastic trash bag and large rubber band to protect my surgery site, I left the shower door partly open, and kept my leg somewhat out of the shower. Before then I was not feeling well enough to really care.......lol.

@tiredwife we have a walk in shower in our master bath and tub/shower combo inquest room. I wasn't sure which would be better. If tub/combo I want a shower chair. It wouldn't fit in our walk in.

I think using the walk in shower would be far easier than climbing into a tub shower. You will probably need a chair with either because at first you might feel weak, and for sure your knee will be sore to stand any length of time. I strongly suggest a chair even in the walk in shower!

@Minnie's knees I agree with scaredinCA you will need something to sit on as you will be weak for the first week or so. Could you get a stool or something to fit in your walk in? Walk in would be far easier to get into.

I was way too woozy for at least a week after my first pkr to have managed without the shower chair, and was really glad I had it when I broke my leg. However, all that scrunching around with my large self especially with struggling to get up one legged, meant that by the time my ankle healed our master bath fiberglass shower floor was overstressed, and it finally cracked during my very first shower post op after my left knee was done. I was already feeling well enough that I really didn't need it, so never bothered to try it in the tub in the other bathroom.

@Minnie's knees My showering was not allowed until my incision was completely dry and not oozing which for me was about 6 days post op. Instructions were to not wash or rub the incision and to pat dry. We don't have a walk in shower so I had no choice but to use the tub shower. Hubby helped me by holding my hand as I lifted and swung my leg over the edge of the tub. I needed his assistance for a couple of weeks until I could bend enough to do it on my own. I never used a chair or anything. I did have hubby standing by for the first couple of showers until I was more sure of myself and feeling steadier on my feet. That first shower was heaven but exhausting all at the same time.

If you have a walk-in shower I'd use that. I only have a tub shower and used a bath bench to get in and out. I also liked it early on b/c I could sit and shower and wash my hair without getting too tired and wobbly.

I appreciate the replies and advice. I will use our walk in shower and I found a narrow shower bench online that may work in the walk in. Just need to measure to be sure. Trying to get as much out of the way as I can now but also didn't want to buy it if I didn't need it.

Depending on (ahem) the size of your posterior and how good your upper body strength is, you might be able to get by with a sturdy plastic lawn chair with arms. I would've used one instead of the shower chair were it not for the fact that I was pretty sure my large wet butt would bring the chair along with it when I stood up. I'd have hubby standing by for the first time or two, for sure, no matter what device you use.

I keep reading about people going to joint class. What is it? What did you learn? My OS office said no other appointments other than the one's for surgical clearance. Then his nurse will call to schedule date, instructions for surgery date and setting up PT. Am I missing out on something not having a joint class?:what:

Nope, no knee class for me, either. Plenty of good stuff online, plus you got BoneSmart.

@Minnie's knees For me it wasn't so much a class. There was no test at the end :wink: The "instructor" went through what happens from the time you come in the day of surgery until you are discharged. Mostly just what to expect, etc. They gave us all a nice notebook filled with information to refer to if we needed. I wouldn't say you're missing anything but it was nice to have an idea of what to expect.

I think some places your 'class' consists of all the folks getting new joints for, say, one week, and that you end up in group PT with the same folks later. To which i'd say, I'm sure that's supposed to foster mutual support and shared goals and maximize resources and on and on.

problem being I think in every group like that there's going to be one jock or Marine who is going to ace everything and be bluff and hearty and really annoying, or else there's going to be one timid soul who faints and squeals and can't understand or follow any instructions. Guess who is going to get all of the attention and dictate what everyone else does? Those two and nobody else. Its a sad fact that I don't always Play Well With Others so take my cynical thoughts with a grain of salt.

My hospital has a one hour "class" where they tell you a bit about what to expect and aids you might want to buy. The only thing I couldn't get on Bonesmart (and I got more info here) would be about 3 minutes of info specific to the hospital. So no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker