Back and hopefully braver now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnie's knees

post-grad
Country
United States United States
I was here in January 2014 anticipating TRKR in March and chickened out. :bolt:
I had all of my usual excuses: shots helping, knee felt better, I can wait another year, etc. Fast forward 6 months, 2 more injections and OS asking "what are you waiting for" as I am limping into his office for another injection. OS has been ready to do this for 2 years. I have had other surgeries for different things and was fine but for some reason with RTKR I feel like the cowardly lion. I need to find the courage to just do it!

I am anticipating an October surgery date. I have spent the weekend reading several recovery threads from those of you that had surgery in January and February and I am very encouraged by the progress at only 6 months post surgery.

Hey Minnie,

We are all scared. I get grumpy and weepy. But I'm a determined person and don't want to live like this any longer.

I do like what someone said on this forum (sorry, I forget who) that they woke up from surgery and said, "Well, that's done." Most people do really well. One of my friends had this done and she felt so much better she immediately booked the other knee five weeks later. She is very active in showing dogs, and wanted to get back in the ring. Her knees stopped hurting.

I would like to go for a walk.

Best wishes for a surgery date soon. You won't be sorry you did it!

Here's some reading for you, so that you are prepared in advance!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

The articles are all quite short, so please don't feel overwhelmed.

We're here to cheer you on @Minnie's knees! I'm just about 12 weeks on knee #2--no more grinding pain and I'm getting back to work. I highly recommend it. (the new knee, not the work :rotfl:)

Welcome back @Minnie's knees! We all have lots of reasons to postpone this surgery....it's never a good time, is it? Your knee is not going to get better.....only worse. You will be so glad when it's over! The pain of arthritis will be gone!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

@Jane B. and @amab, Thanks for the encouragement. I know this is something I need to do!

@Celle - Thank you for the reading material and good wishes. I appreciate it but unfortunately my surgery date will be awhile. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and take infusions. I have to be at least 8 weeks from last infusion which will be mid October. I also have diabetes type 2 that is not well managed due to the prednisone and cortisone shots and hoping this will not be an obstacle to my surgical clearance. The waiting is the hardest part.

@kneeper - Yours is one of the recovery threads I have been reading this weekeend. Glad you are doing well and that you clarified about work...lol!

@Lovestoread - Thanks for the support. You are right about it never being a good time for surgery. In my case it is a much better time now than it was in March. I need to do this before my knee is unbearable.

@Minnie's knees Tomorrow hubby is 13 weeks post with knee #1 and 3 weeks post with knee #2. His first recovery was so good that is the only reason his OS agreed to do the 2nd one so soon. Each knee is different, and I won't lie, there is some pain, but meds keep it tolerable. Ice is a great pain reliever, and elevation keeps the swelling under control. Hubby says he is glad he got both knees done!

I think being off the infusions temporarily is to help keep your healing and resistance to infection up, but would not prevent the surgery. We've had several RA people here who are on biologics. Luckily I'm only on dmards.

@tiredwife -Thanks for sharing! Glad your husband is doing so well with his new knees. I don't know that I am scared of the surgery as much as I am always questioning when is the right time for me. My right knee is limiting me but not so severe that I am in horrible pain every day. So I start thinking I can wait another year or two. Obviously my OS does not agree. Rehab...now that scares me a little...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish the title of the surgery was less fearful. When people ponder Total Knee Replacement, all they can think of is PAIN. There is discomfort but so much different than what you are experiencing now.
If your car had a very bad tire, you would not think twice of getting a new tire. So, go get a new tire. lol
Cheers
David

@Minnie's knees The biggest drawback with waiting is that the more messed up the knees are the harder and longer it is for the doctor to fix them and the more bruising, etc. Some knees get so bad the OS might have to remove more bone which is never a good thing.

There is never a good time but the longer we wait the more our lives and world gets smaller as we slowly give up doing certain things or being active because it hurts. I am one of the ones that waited too long for the first one till it was so bad that surgery was the only option and then I had to wait for a date and be in extra pain for almost 5months. I scheduled the second knee about 8months after the first when I realized it was hurting when I was grocery shopping and the operated knee was great.

The nice thing about recovery and pain is that the pain meds actually help and the pain keeps decreasing. Before surgery whatever meds I took did not touch the pain and it kept getting worse day by day, week by week. At least with recovery there is positive progress toward something positive.

I do not know the statistics as to how many knees are done now but you are joining a huge club of people and this forum is so awesome for support on the journey. I do not believe I would have done as well without the people and the recovery threads here. Everyone will be here for you and offer support and advice on your journey.

Welcome back!!! It is great to hear from you again!

There is never a good time but the longer we wait the more our lives and world gets smaller
This is an excellent point---there is never a great time, but there is always time to make your life right--to correct something that is taking a great deal away from your lifestyle!

I can tell you that, while my BTKR recovery was, at times, challenging, it was very, very much worth it! My life has never been better since my recovery was completed.

@leejaa I really like what you said about our world getting smaller, it really made me think about where I am at.

@referee54 I appreciate the encouragement. It helps to hear it from people that have been there.

I went to the dentist today for an exam as it has been awhile and I know I have a tooth that needs to be pulled. I hate going to the dentist but I don't want to have any problems before or shortly after RTKR so I set appointments for a cleaning and the extraction. My 1st step in preparing for RTKR! Something so small but a big step for me as I am accepting that I need to move forward with my RTKR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member