April BTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcteacher

senior
Country
United States United States
Hello joining the ranks of May knee replacement surgery. May 17 is my surgery date. Having a Bilateral Total Knee Replacement. Happy to have found the Bonesmart site.

Welcome to the forum!!! I had a BTKR a bit over eight years ago!!! If you need to have both done, and your OS is willing, having a BTKR is the way to go. You have one pre-op, on surgery, one hospital stay, and one recovery---and you do not have to have one done, recover, and then wait and move onto the next one.

It is a bit more challenging, as you do not have a "good leg", but it is certainly do-able and it is so very much worth it! If I had to do it all over again, I would have done it exactly the same way!

I taught for 37 years and retired tow years ago. I did return to the classroom eight weeks post-BTKR, which I found out was too early. If you are still teaching, you will be able to recover throughout the entire summer.

You're a brave soul! I had mine done 7 months apart. Initially my doctor offered to do both, but I didn't think I could handle both together. After the 1st one it was so easy I was kicking myself that I didn't get them both done. Then I had the 2nd one done and I was glad I didn't do both because it was a lot more painful than the 1st. So I guess there are pros and cons. I was glad my 1st knee was mostly rehabbed and strong for the 2nd one. Good luck and just realize this is a long recovery and give yourself time to heal. Patience and ice will become your best friend!

I do have a question for those who have had Bilateral Knee Replacements-my husband has a "work" trip planned in Mid July-to Ireland. That is only 8 weeks after my surgery. Would I be able to go and be ok? We need to plan plane tickets soon and I just don't know what to tell him. THANKS

I'll refer your question to @referee54 and @Roy Gardiner , who both had BTKRs.

From my own experience with a single TKR, I would advise against taking that trip.

Of course it's disappointing, but I think it's better to flag this trip away and plan another for you when your knee is properly healed. At only 8 weeks after surgery, you will still be in the very early stages. You'd need wheelchair assistance at airports, you'd have to take precautions against DVT on the long flights, and you wouldn't be able to do much walking around for sightseeing.
You'll probably still need to be taking some pain killers and you will need to rest, ice and elevate your leg.

My own surgeon allows short flights at 8 weeks, but he recommends not taking long flights until about 4 months.

I returned to the classroom at eight weeks post-BTKR. I am not sure if you would be ready to go---you may be, but it would be cutting it close, and you may be uncomfortable---very uncomfortable. I personally would not recommend it, as you may not be "there" yet.

I know that I was stiff and sore by the end of the day, and you will have to get up and walk around the aircraft to help prevent DVT's----you may recover faster and be ready, but I would not go myself.

Of course it's disappointing, but I think it's better to flag this trip away and plan another for you when your knee is properly healed. At only 8 weeks after surgery, you will still be in the very early stages. You'd need wheelchair assistance at airports, you'd have to take precautions against DVT on the long flights, and you wouldn't be able to do much walking around for sightseeing.
You'll probably still need to be taking some pain killers and you will need to rest, ice and elevate your leg.

My own surgeon allows short flights at 8 weeks, but he recommends not taking long flights until about 4 months.
I agree---you will not be at all happy and may be somewhat miserable, and you most likely will not enjoy yourself.

I knew the answer in my heart but had to ask the experts! I would want to be able to do sightseeing. No fun laying around with ice on your knee when you are not home :)

Honestly, if you are going on vacation, you want to truly enjoy yourself and not have to deal with restrictions or pain and stiffness that will interfere with your trip.

I think that, at eight weeks, post-BTKR, you will not get nearly the enjoyment out of the trip and may actually regret going. I guess what I am saying is this: Do you want to enjoy it or do you want to endure it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim you are right-I want to enjoy it-not merely endure it-not worth it at all when put like that. Hubs will have to go without me this trip.

Trust me on this---once you are fully recovered, you will be amazed at how great you feel, as you will not have any pain at all.

there will be plenty of occasions when you can enjoy a great occasions and not give your knees even a thought.

I think the 'no' consensus has it. Unless there's a compelling reason - family wedding, say - and you'd have to be Business Class to be comfortable.

Today while on Florida decided to try the ocean. Learned my lesson. Fell when waves hit and sand shifted under my feet. So difficult to get up. Had to scoot up to firmer sand in order to stand up. Embarrassing moment. Cried tears of grif for what I can't do anymore due to these knees of mine!

I am very sorry to read of what happened to you in Fla.
Cried tears of grif for what I can't do anymore due to these knees of mine!
You will be amazed, when you are fully recovered, at what you will be able to do---and without any pain---when you are fully recovered.

Normalcy is what it is all about---the knees will function as they should---and life will be all about what you can do---and what you can enjoy doing---not about how the knees that are not working the way they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties