anxious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tigger,
What a shock! I too was shocked when I was told I needed one THR, let alone two. The thought of the 6 week restrictions, the pain, the whole thing freaked me out.
However I am now 8 weeks post op and contemplating going back to work once I get the OK from my OS. But as Josephine says that will be at about 12 weeks post op.
Even though I think I have made a good recovery so far ( and bear in mind there is still time for things to go wrong) I still don't feel able to do a full days work as my job is quite physiically active. I will be returning on a phased return, doing a few hours one day, more the next etc over a few weeks. I still need a snooze in the afternoon afterI go for two walks a day and do my Physio exercises. In fact these take up a large amount of my day!
Bear this in mind before commiting yourself to any date for returning to work. Each recovery is different, and you must wait and see how you do. Good luck and keep posting.

Thanks Vikki,

Just come back from the consultant. Doing the right in November, he says I may not need the left doing for some time yet. All geared up for the op now, just have to sort home out now.

Tigger, did you see the links I gave you to articles? You should read those as they contain important information for you.

I should have said that I am an occupational health nurse and it is my job to clear people returning to work after major surgery. I generally have people return after 12 weeks on that phased return regimen and they invariably tell me how they couldn't have handled it any other way. It doesn't matter if they are construction workers, factory workers or office workers - it's all the same. I had one office worker who insisted on starting back after 6 weeks and he went off sick again after 4 days! I don't spout this stuff for the sake of it - it's backed up with years of experience in occupational health work. "She knows, y'know"!!! :wink1:

Hi Josephine,

I have looked at the links, thank you. I understand the importance of not going back till I am ready. This will be one of the harder things for me to deal with, but deal with it I shall.

Tigger

My advice is don't put pressure on yourself to return to work too soon.

When I had my firt hip done in April I was told by the consultant that the main reason for the the 6 week sign off was because driving was not approved in this period.

Whilst I think I recovered from the surgery at an average rate, after returning to work on a phased basis after seven weeks, I would admit I was fairly knackered at the end of each day.

You need time to recover whatever those senoir management bosses who have not been through it suggest!

Its counter productive pushing yourself to return to work too soon.

Take care and take the time necessary to recover from the fairly major surgery you will have been through.

Regards

Dave

"She knows, y'know"!!! :wink1:

Hilda Baker!!!:wink1:

awww.geocities.ws_comedy_tributes_uk_baker09.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal