anxious

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger

Hi, I am new to the site, I am scheduled for hip replacement on the 21st November, this has all happened very quickly and I am still trying to get my head around it all.

Hi Tigger

I'm in the same boat as you and will be getting mine in a few months, came as shock too so i know where your coming from. I was advised BHR but not so sure now and going to speak to the surgeon about THR instead.
How long have been having problems? Where are you having your op?

Hi Stan794,

Told last year I had moderate arthritis in both hips and had a cortisone injection in my left. Pain was pretty bad about 6 weeks ago, went back to the consultant and told it was now severe and that THR was the answer. Thought about it for a couple of weeks and then decided to do it, had a couple of doubts but then had bad days, body telling me to do it I suppose! Now resigned to the fact that I need it doing, right to start, but don't know if I should have both done at the same time. I am senior management in a company in birmingham and have i probelm with being signed off for 6 weeks minimum. (me not work, they are very understanding, but they don't understand how it has come on so quickly. Back at the consultant tomorrow, so no doubt finalise everything them.

Hi tigger, I had the same shock. In fact they kept telling me my pain was lower back issues. Then one day - bam! My hip collapsed and I was on the waiting list for THR. Unfortunately it is very common for things to get very bad very quickly.

The good news is it will all be corrected post-op! Talk to your OS about BTHR. If he/she agrees then it's one op and one recovery. There are several Smarties on this forum now who have had both done. They usually see very good results.

Good luck! I had two done this year. One in April and the other in Aug. I had the anterior approach and was walking unaided really quickly--about two to three weeks. But the overall recovery and such was from April to Oct. doing the hips in a staged fashion.

I think by six weeks out each time I felt fairly normal with a bit of soft tissue soreness on occasion. Energy levels sag for a bit as well. But at that point I could go through a normal day with intervals of rest. Perhaps a short work week?

Could you do work at home at all during the recovery? Could you do part-time as you gain strength? Several have had bi-lateral here and have reported on their progress as well.

Hi Tigger,
welcome! It's a very good decision to get a new hip, and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome once you have recovered. Don't fear, lots of support here. Just plan in a lot of rest. Wish you good luck.

Thanks Jaycey, i am lucky as a have health insurance with my job, hence no waiting list as such, going private.

Hi MagnoliaMs, i can work from work, remote into the office. I do the month end accounts and salaries as part of my job so it's not all that easy. How did you cope with the stair situation?

Hi Renate, thanks for the warm welcome. I'ts good to be able to tak to people who have been through it all.

tigger, they will teach you stairs and everything you need to get around on your own before you leave hospital. Typically physio comes in the day after your op (or maybe the same day depending on how early your op is and what anaesthetic you have) and gets you up for your first walk. Then it goes pretty quickly. You'll be surprised how soon you are making those laps around the ward!

Thanks Jaycey, i know they teach stairs before you leave, just wondered if you found it hard, or just tiring.

I was doing one by one pre-op as I was in so much pain and then for the first few weeks. I used the railing and one crutch post-op.

But once you get the muscles working again you can do stairs normally. It happens all of a sudden. You just start up the stairs and realise you are doing them normally again.

Welcome to BoneSmart, tigger! I'm having bilateral hip replacements in December - my OS advised having both done at the same time because both of my hips are severely deteriorated and he felt that doing one hip at a time would actually be counterproductive. He said that when one hip is done but the other one is still bad that can interfere with the healing and impede return to normal gait and functioning. He also said that while the recuperation can be difficult doing 2 at once is NOT twice as difficult - and you get it all over with in about the same time as recovering from one surgery. Do talk to your consultant about your particular situation and see what would be best for you.

Now resigned to the fact that I need it doing, right to start, but don't know if I should have both done at the same time.
Why not? Many, many people do have bilateral hips done. It's one anaesthetic, one recovery. Then all over and done with!
I am senior management in a company in Birmingham and have I problem with being signed off for 6 weeks minimum. (me not work, they are very understanding, but they don't understand how it has come on so quickly.
I hope you're not expecting to be back at work in 6 weeks because that's highly unlikely. In the UK they generally have people off work for 12 weeks, specially if you have a bilateral replacement.

And when you go back you should plan on a Phased return to work

Here's a few more articles for you to read
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Some suggestions for home physio (PT)

At which hospital are you having your surgery and which surgeon?

Hi Josephine, the hospital is Methley Park it is a Spire's hospital, surgeon is a Mr Khan. I must admit I am expecting to be back at work sooner rather than later. The harder thing for me will be to phase my recovery and not try to do anything all at once.

Hi tigger,
I can see how it must have come as a shock to have such a sudden deteoriation and suddenly find yourself in the position of needing replacements- especially two. Do you think perhaps that maybe because it is sudden is making it harder for you to adjust to the idea of a good length recovery time? I think a few people do try and go back early, but from what I can see that is the exception rather than the general situation. Maybe your workplace could make adjustments for you but I think at six weeks you are really still in recovery and could get very tired. You sound very focused, could you perhaps do a distance learnng course in your time off. Maybe one that would benefit your job, could give you a focus but without the pressure. I haven't had my operation yet but I do get the impression that the recovery is almost/ maybe as important as the op. In some ways you are lucky. I have been trying to get help for years before I finally had a diagnosis and way forward. I found I was really struggling and the doctors response was "it can't be that bad". However it could be the quickness of it all contributing to making it harder to get your head around recovery time. You could be putting yourself under a lot of emotional pressure if it's in your head to go back so soon - especially after two hips. It's a very high expectation you've set yourself. I'd suggest reading lots of peoples post operative experiences and giving yourself the option to see how you are feeling.Be kind to your self and that will help your recovery. All the best for November,
Gizmo

Hi Gizmo,
Good luck for the 20th of this month. You are right, it has come go very quickly and as i have always been active and work is very important to me, i am finding it very hard to adjust. Due to the position of the arthritis in my hips I can walk without any trouble, I just have constant pain (some days worse than others) which people do not always see, I am very independant and hate to let people down. I know, I do think about my own health as well.

Hi Tigger

I understand how you feel, i went in to see my consultant because my hip was starting to hurt this was on the 9th AUgust he told me there and then i needed a total hip replacement and he could do it in september! well i totally freaked out and said no to that as it was way too close, i am self employed and have many client's so i needed time to sort things out. the next date was in october which i agreed to because it's not every day you get offered such quick appointments - i know one person who was on a waiting list for 6 months! anyway due to my self emplyed status i have to get back to work ASAP otherwise i have no income apart from my rainy day savings (which i have almost spent on pick me up treats! :wink1:)

Grab this opporunity with both hands get it over and done with and get on and enjoy the rest of your life. I'm hoping it will be all worth in the long run!:yes 4:

Hi Neshym,

It is a shocker isn't it. Off to the consultant this afternoon to hopefully decide on whether I have one or both done at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member