2.5 years out from tkr, and have some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsmom01

So it has been 2.5 years since I had my left knee replaced and it has been 2 since I had my right knee done. I have never felt like they have been awesome but they are definitely feeling better than they were before the replacements. Today the weather is cold and crummy, it just seems mother nature cannot make up her mind about the temps here in Indiana. So I am hoping that is what is making me ache more today. Mostly the left knee is achy and maybe a little swollen. Just curious how many people are pain free after a couple years or do you always feel something. I am not doing any kind of PT anymore, just regular housework and yard work. Maybe I should do some more strengthening exercises and see if that helps. I don't want to go back to the doctor yet, just curious what are the signs I should start looking at that as an option.

Alexsmom01,
Sorry to hear you are having some problems with your knees. I am going to tag @Josephine our forum nurse assist.
Have you brought up your concerns with your OS? If you were not satisfied with the answers, you might want to seek out a second opinion, with an OS who specializes in revisions, they have the training to determine what is going on with problem knees. It may be you are doing too much, even though you may think you are not doing enough.
Wishing you the best,

@alexsmom01 Can you tell me the exact site of your pain or discomfort using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_referesrs.jpg

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_aagridhyh.jpg

I'm also going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_nonofisss.gif
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. are you taking any pain medications? If so what, how much (in mg please) and how often?

Most of the swelling is in LF3 and LF4 C (which I think based on the picture is the tendon right above the knee cap, not the knee cap itself) and LF3 section E. Swelling is around a 5 and it is stiff probably around a 4-5. Not a lot of pain more just dull ache. At this point I have taken no medication. I have thought about taking a couple 200 mg Ibuprofin.

I am so sorry to read of this situation. I am hoping that Josephine can give you the advice that you need.

It has been over seven years since I had my knees done---they do not bother me at all, but my muscles sure do protest when I do too much. I hope you are just having soft tissue issues.

Hello @alexsmom01, I'm sorry that you are not feeling just right. My RTKR was done 4 years ago today, then I eventually had two more surgeries on the same right knee, one of which was a total knee revision. Oh how I long to be one of the people like Tim @referee54 who never thinks about your knees, I'm still waiting for that day. All I can say is that if you don't think its right, it's probably not right. Don't give up and settle for less than you think you should have. Ask questions, seek answers, get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions. It's your quality of life...keep looking until you find the one who will help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bob5677
Recent bookmarks
Back