1 week out, what to do for pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

momdub1

I am officially one week out. I have been preparing for weeks around my home, work and trying to stay focused on the end result.

For me the pain meds are the most worrisome. I have been in severe pain for sometime but have stuck to Naproxin for relief. Pain pills make me sick as a dog. My doctor prescribed Tramadol for me. I resisted taking it and finally gave it a try. It was terrible, I lost a whole day of work because I was light headed and clammy. My fear is the stronger pain killers at the hospital. If you have a high pain tolerance is it a possibility that you can skip the narcotics?

I have other medical issues that in the past caused me to have a couple of heart attacks. Both times I was extremely sick to my stomach when they happened. The thought of having a third heart attack because I am nauseous is causing me extra stress. Does anyone else have bad reactions to pain pills?

Yes, I have severe reactions to drugs. It is a tough one, because we need them leading up and post surgery.

I am sure your medical team will take your previous health issues into consideration and be on top of it.

Has your OS given you any instructions regarding ceasing your NSAID (Naproxyn) prior to surgery? Usually, you have to stop that class of drugs... Just wondering :)

Yes, my last dosage per my Doc was yesterday. Don't know how is is going to be the next couple of days. I am still working full time. I work in a 2 story office with a bunch of stairs. Elevator is out most of the time. Trying to psych myself prior to surgery, but it is getting harder by the day.

Momdub1 today is the last 24 hrs before my surgery have been without my meds for 4 days now. For me it has gotten a little worse each day, but look at it this way you are closer to making that pain go away. You have come a long way the finish line is in site, case in point I went out and cut my grass this morning with a push mower and I have no cartilage in my hip. I am paying for it now but tomorrow it should all go away. Please hang in there you are almost done. See you on the other side.... :happydance:

Thanks for your support, my cartilage is gone too, Doc said something about bone cysts. Funny you said that about mowing grass as that is on my to do list this weekend. I keep telling myself to focus on the outcome. I never had a problem with focusing on work but me personal is another story. Thoughts are with you tomorrow, see you on the other side.

MomDub, it is terribly important to stay ahead of pain. When I first used Tramadol last year, it made me terribly sleepy and loopy for about a week. Then my body settled down and we got along quite well. What about acetaminiphin/tylenol? Or at least take the Tramodol before bed to help you sleep. By morning the other effects would be dissapated. Certainly it's good to have a high pain tolerance, but this is MAJOR surgery to your body. You can take tylenol right up to surgery, but most other drugs have to be stopped a week or two ahead. Is your cardiac doctor on board with your surgeon?

Good luck. You have some extra challenges, but once the first month of so is over, you should be seeing major improvements. Hope it all goes well.

Sharon

I am sure that your medical team will work out the best pain medication post surgery protocol for you MomDub. They are best placed to assess your total health condition.

With regard to your last few days of work. I appreciate it will be tough, but keep your mind focussed on each minute/hour down is one closer to freedome from bone on bone pain..

Not long now :)

We did have a young man on here a few years back, about 25 I think he was, who was SERIOUSLY allergic to opiates. He had a bilateral done and had to tough out the entire recovery with no pain meds at all. I tell you, just the thought of it gave me the creeps but somehow he got through.

You need to have a serious talk with your surgeon and ask to discuss this with the pain team so they can work out a Pain management: the multimodal approach for you. This has to be done prior to surgery as you don't want to be waiting on their deliberations after the op!

Thanks for the support, today is my last day at work, which is a good thing as it is so uncomfortable moving around. I feel like a wuss but I keep focused that after Tuesday morning will be a new beginning. Hoping that they keep the pain meds low and am ready to do what it takes to get through this.

Hang in there. It will be ok. Please have a good talk with your surgeon and his team. You will get this. We care so please let us know how you are doing. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads