• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR New life expected

I had my THR right hip the same way due to osteoarthritis. I was driving 2 weeks post op. No aids or meds after 4 weeks. At 3 months i felt 10 years younger. Now 9 months on at 65 years of age, I have to look at the scar to remind myself I had it done. I wish you all the best for your pain free future. Just do exactly what you were told by your surgeon. Regards. Richard.

@Dicky hip Thank you so much for these words!!!! I’m happy it was so good for you and really hope it will be nice for me too :praying:

Hi Dicky hip :wave:
I noticed you have some knowledge to share through personal experience. I’d like to encourage you to start a thread and share a bit of your story on when you experienced your THR, date and which hip, along with how your healing journey has gone so far. Please join us! :)
@Dicky hip

Healing Blessings to you Anna ,
Over the 4 years my hip went downhill I also developed IT band pain that went down to my knee, as well as some occasional flare ups of lateral Bursitis .
Had the ATHR on 03/22 and the arthritic pain was gone immediately I am doing well, I even used my self-propelled lawn mower this weekend , yeah! But a 4 year build up of a bursistis / IT band related pain does not magically disappear overnight.
It is already not as severe but being fresh out of surgery I really need time to heal now to find out if it will resolve itself slowly with time in the same way it developed now that my gait is proper ,
It is all connected.
I'm still waiting to hear back from my Dr. on this issue and should hear from him this week .
I will follow up with you and let you know what he says .
Kind Regards, Dorsey

@Dorsey Hi Dorsey! Yeah I’d love to know, cuz this “knee pain” is still with me.
Hahah yeah, lawn mowing is a total must :heehee::heehee::heehee:

Hope your issues can be resolved quickly and easily. I believe we all deserve some peace and nice lives :curtsey:

Update and news
When I was 2 month and a few days after the op I realized that I got myself into ODIC :nah:

Cuz I was having rehab sessions, pool, massage, home exercises and active walking too often or all in one day. When I couldn’t sleep and walk properly because of pain I realized that I was trying too hard.

Unfortunately because of my over working I had a big step back in my progress. Leg was hurting and moving worse, and also walking was really bad.

My last “day of crying” was really long time ago and I was happy because of that. But I was again upset and crying.

I decided to give myself some time to rest and do nothing. It was easy enough physically but difficult in my head cuz I felt like I was “skipping school”.

Now I feel better and now I control the amount of work I do. I rest more and stopped pushing things forward.

I limp way less, (only limp because of my scoliosis and lumbar issues).

In general now I’m happy with what I’m doing, I’d love things to go faster but have what I have :angel:

What a nice update, Anna! Thanks for sharing.
I decided to give myself some time to rest and do nothing. It was easy enough physically but difficult in my head cuz I felt like I was “skipping school”.

Now I feel better and now I control the amount of work I do. I rest more and stopped pushing things forward.
Important lesson learned. I love that you're happy with what you're able to accomplish currently and keep in mind that its going to get better. :happydance:
I hope you have a good week!

And I have also bought new pair of sneakers and my walk is way better.
I used to have a 2cm difference before the op, but I was putting ummm not sure what to call it, like a cork pad under my heel.
Now it’s even (well I think it is) and I thought my shoes were fine but probably not so much

And I have also bought new pair of sneakers and my walk is way better.
Isn't it surprising now new shoes make such a difference? Glad it's helping.

Slow and steady now! No more trips to the ODIC! :wink:

@benne68 yep, it’s great how new shoes are so cool :heehee:
Hahaha yeah I really didn’t like the ODIC :rotfl:

I think we all overdo from time to time & as more healing & recovery occurs we like to push ourselves. Totally natural.
I let my hip & body take the lead after a few trips into ODIC.
I can do everything now but still will take a "rest" day now & then.

@myglasshalffull yep totally agree
The easier it gets the more you think you can do a lot better, and then try too hard :heehee:

Happy Three Month Anniversary, Anna!
Have a great day and week and please stay in touch. We love updates!
Take care. :)
@Anna_K

@Layla thank youuuuuu so much

I’m actually great, walking around with almost no limp, that makes me happy))

When I sit for a long time I need like 10 steps with heavy limp and then no limp. (Basically something that bothers me is this limp lol)

I’m getting ready to come back to work. Really excited to try. I’m an interpreter in the mine field, so basically my work is walking a lot on uneven ground. So praying that it will go smoothly :angel:

Attachments

• New life expected
    IMG_6348.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 21
To be honest it’s hard to believe it’s 3 months already. Sometimes it feels like a whole year has passed and sometimes like only a few weeks))

Cute photo, Anna. You look great and...happy!
Be careful navigating the uneven ground. I hope it goes smoothly for you also.
Take good care!
@Anna_K

@Layla Thank you so much :yahoo:
I feel fine I guess, there are good days and bad days.

On my 2nd month anniversary I went to my country house to plant strawberry. Hahah it was strange, I was looking for nice sprouts for good several hours on different markets and then was just gardening (not something i usually do) I was really tired but not in pain at all.

My leg feels okay, sometimes hurts. I dropped my crutches and started walking on my own
I’m limping a little but hoping for it to stop soon (really hoping)
Hi Anna K, it is good that we have this space and support here isn’t it? Great replies as always...
I’ve been on crutches about 2yrs, now i FINALLY have had both hips done in the last year, hiking poles suggested by my physio are very good for giving necessary balance as you transfer away from crutches and leg muscles readjust. They’re not expensive for a pair online, perhaps they might help you too.
I’ve been getting knee pain too as it goes, left leg which was the latest THR side. So its good to read reassurance here.
Rest, elevate and ice still gives relief at month 3 of latest op. Glad you're enjoying the great Bone Smartie forum. Wishing us all well.

@Layla hmmm I guess you are right. It’s just so scary, every decision will lead to some consequences and I don’t want to do it in a wrong way =((
There’s no one around me who has got anything similar to my situation. And also every doctor says their own different things and it’s confusing :unsure:
I was the same in the fear of damaging things at the feeling if any pain, my GP/consultant are very basic in support; the advice on here has always been so valuable to me and the advice is always right.
I too have no one around who knows what this is like. Done/doing both my recoveries pretty much solitary day to day. I’ve gained more knowledge and support here than in any doctors room.

@Bevelina thank you for your words :angel: Yes it is hard sometimes when you can’t talk about things you feel with anyone. But this place is really helpful. I read a lot here and find so many answers that people share :happydance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley