TKR YYZ Back To YYC!

@WFD Sorry to hear you are back in line for another PICC line! Hope that you don't have to spend too much time in the hospital.

Thank you so much for these details...I'm being pressured to get back to work and trying to see if it will be possible or if there will be issues!

Please don’t let anyone pressure you to return to work before you are comfortable doing so. Enlist your surgeon and/or your GP to help with documents for your employer that state an estimated return date. You can usually negotiate this with your doctors based on how you’re doing at any given time. They don’t want a too-soon return to work to impact their good work negatively!

March 19 is the followup with a surgeon providing me a second opinion. On the initial visit he ordered a bone scan with contrast. Just had a visit with my GP who was cc'd on these results. She has mentioned that with possible infection or joint movement I should stop with Naproxen and diclofenac gel in th interim. Just curious if others were under a similar protocol with these concerns?

Found the Naproxen very effective but now taking Tramadol now due to significant medial pain and finding myself very foggy and spaced out.

She has mentioned that with possible infection or joint movement I should stop with Naproxen and diclofenac gel in th interim. Just curious if others were under a similar protocol with these concerns?
Like you I found Naproxen the most effective pain killer and better than drugs like Tramadol for side effects.
Like other anti inflammatory drugs though it does have risks for gastric bleeding and it can affect the absorption of other drugs.
The hospital where I had my TKR advised stopping it for some time before surgery- but my surgeon was not worried and said I could continue with it.
If Naproxen is the only thing that really works for you- then you could try discussing your specific antibiotic combination with your local pharmacist to see what the exact issues are. Then when you understand things check with your surgeon and Infection doctor to see if your GP may be be being overcautious.
If the issue is that there is an effect on the absorption- so that the blood levels are altered; then it may be possible to take a lower dose and still benefit.
Obviously don't do anything without full medical advice- but there may be a solution if Naproxen is the best for your pain.
It is miserable suffering pain- especially when you ate going through other stuff like the infection.
Good Luck!

I agree, always question things. Sometimes doctors make general recommendations, but may have a different answer if they understand the effect on your pain level. Or they might recommend a different medication.

@EalingGran Thanks for the info. Didn't realize how effective the naproxen was! Uugh can't wait until March 19 for some answers....or not.

@MSuki That's a great point. I always consider closely the drs recommendations but I've benefitted a lot from this forum and like to hear about others experiences for additional insights.

Been online here for info on this possible infection!

My white blood cells tested normal so that takes care of the first step...

The next step I understand is testing the synovial fluid in the knee joint. Can anyone comment on timeframe once infection is confirmed to the stage 1 surgery? Seems to me it should be done soon like a week or two? I've read that some infections are not considered serious (sic)while others are in surgery the next day...

Talked to GP today, the Naproxen and diclofenac attract the infection. They were both stopped as the infection can disperse from the area of the knee. She also mentioned that they don't do testing on synovial fluid as it is a risk for infection. I'm sure the surgeons accommodations for this. I've read an MRI will show bone loss and infection?

I've read on here someone was placed in a leg immobilizer for part 1 of the 2 part revision. Only have sub small vehicles in our stable.... Was wondering if this is common practise?

Immobilized braces are not the norm, but are needed sometimes.

I was not aware of any science showing that NSAIDs could cause issues when a bacterial infection is present, but I was able to locate a paper from 2022 that indicates caution should be used with them, so it’s a good idea that you stopped them. If you are experiencing a lot of pain, you might try Extra Strength Tylenol (acetaminophen) at the maximum dose of 1000mg 4 times a day on a schedule. Just be sure not to take more than 4000mg in any 24 hour period and be sure you don’t have any health issues (primarily kidney problems) that would preclude taking acetaminophen.

Usually surgeons will test fluid for infection if that is the problem. It tells them what type of infection is present so they know what antibiotics will work best to fight it.

Wondering if anyone has had activity restrictions outlined to them while waiting for revision surgery?

I'm required to complete some testing which includes climbing / crawling / balancing / kneeling / carrying / lifting / and walking.

You need to run this by your surgeon as he’s the person who knows your case best. I could see some potential for problems with lifting, carrying, crawling, and climbing depending on what exactly you had to do. Most importantly since it’s your knee….how do YOU feel about attempting these things? Are they things you’re doing okay now?

@Jockette
I'm on workers disability and have an assessment. They need to determine if the pain I'm reporting is valid.

I haven't been able to work( as I can't walk for more than 30 mins without pain the last two years. Grass is ok in summer but especially concrete sidewalks are difficult to impossible.

@Jamie Thanks for the support, I definitely can't do much activity right now. Hopefully my surgeon will support me and indicate he has medical concerns with me completing the test. He's my second opinion and don't really know him or what he'll say.

Last edited:
Hopefully my surgeon will support me and indicate he has medical concerns with me completing the test.
Yes, I hope he will.

If you do have to go through with the test, maybe just attempting to do a few of those things will be enough for them to determine the validity of your pain. I’m sorry you have to prove it with such a test.

Thanks for the supportive words! Hoping to be scheduled for revision surgery before that happens!

Definitely won't be able bodied to be tested for a while after that, lol!

I'm so sorry you are still dealing with all of these issues and pain, @2chains :console2:

Update

My March 19 appointment resulted with my second opinion surgeon referring me to an additional orthopaedic surgeon.

He indicated my issue has to be treated in a hospital setting and their surgical suite isn't setup for exploratory surgery. He's in the private system and doesn't want to blur the lines between public and private health care. I'm happy he took my concerns seriously and ordered the bone scan and especially that something has been discovered although I am freaking out as I'm looking at another surgery that will be even more painful!

I have been referred for a white blood cell scan in the interim and next OP appointment scheduled April 9th.

I am freaking out as I'm looking at another surgery that will be even more painful!
I would be anxious about it, also, but hopefully you’ll get good results. :console2:

I‘m glad this doctor is looking for the problem.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker