Why Travel Abroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Hippain, for posting articles pertinent to your statement. The information in them underscores a person's responsibility to ensure they check into both their surgeons and the facility where the procedure will be done. In USA, hospitals must provide their infection rate in accordance with specific criteria. It is important to make sure that similar information obtained from hospitals outside this country are using the same reporting method. Sometimes numbers can be made to say whatever a person wants them to.

One thing I have read and it is supported by each of the articles you presented is that patients (or their patient advocates who are with them in the hospital if they are not able to comprehend what is going on with their care at any point in time) INSIST that all staff use the wash and sanitation stations in each room every time they come into the room. That simple act will go a long way toward preventing unnecesary infection.

Hospitals will always be rather nasty places to some degree because there ARE some really sick folks there. It pays to be aware, but hopefully fear of getting an infection won't stop anyone from having knee or hip procedures when they are needed. Getting an infection is not the norm and an overwhelmingly large percentage of people in hospitals do not get one.

Thanks again for providing links that are helpful for folks to see what types of problems can be out there and to nudge them into doing diligent research.

By the way to the last poster, those videos are of patients that had hip resurfacing surgery, not THR's. Not all patients recover that quickly but it shows the possibilities from real life patients instead of the markeing hype behind the Jimmy Connors ads which are clearly marketing. Maybe there is a place that shows some recoveries of THR patients as well that have done well in their recoveries? But I have not seen any videos really online? I found these but most seem to be 'commercial' rather than created by actual patients.

HipPain

I assume this is pointed at me. I would contend that it is more important to note whether or not the surgery, THR or HR, was anterior or posterior. A posterior THR and a posterior HR have similar recovery patterns given the same surgeons.

The referenced videos are impressive, but I can say that I was walking as good as she was at four weeks without a cane. I walked two miles with no support on hilly terrain. I'm as six weeks today and have almost no pain walking. I still have ROM restrictions, so I can't bend the way she was, but patients with THRs can show pretty amazing improvement as well and the patient plays a big role.

Walker,

Your recount and video of your hip resurfacing expreience is far more akin to my own and almost everyone else I have spoken with directly than some of the other examples of exceptional recoveries, i.e., jumping rope at 2 weeks, jogging on ice at 4 weeks, or Julie's summersalts at 6 weeks. Your procedure seems to have been uneventful, your progress steady but unremarkable, and the results returned you to a relatively normal condition of movement and free of pain. - Just like most of us who've had either a resurfacing procedure or a THR in our own countries.

Did I miss it or did you say why you went aborad to have your surgery?

Scott, frequently people who have had hip problems for some time and then have one hip replaced report that they FEEL like the legs are not the same length. And in some cases someone may measure and tell them there is a slight difference. However, once a person gets used to the new hip and works at the correct gait with therapy, that feeling (and any measurement discrepancy) usually disappears. I suppose there might be some patients who for whatever reason have actual leg discrepancy years after hip surgery. Like I've been trying to say, there are risks, good outcomes and bad outcomes for every single medical procedure that is done.

Hippain, one other thing I think is important to note....just because there may not be a bunch of videos out on the web about hip replacement successes, that does not mean there are not PLENTY of those stories. We have many, many of them here in written form on this forum. People start posting before surgery because they are worried or want information and support. They continue through the surgery and recovery for more support and someone besides the doctors to address their concerns to. But during their recovery and afterwards, showing their progress or even their fabulous recovery in however-many weeks or months to others via video is the last thing on their minds. They just get right back to their life. Many times we never hear from them again. And that is just fine with us!

Scott, frequently people who have had hip problems for some time and then have one hip replaced report that they FEEL like the legs are not the same length. And in some cases someone (usually a therapist) may measure and tell them there is a slight difference.

However, once a person gets used to the new hip and works at the correct gait with therapy, that feeling (and any measurement discrepancy) usually disappears.

That describes me. My right leg has been shorter for years and just got fixed with the surgery. It felt extremely odd at first and still does to some degree, but it's feeling more normal each day.

I just found it odd that someone would say they've seen many people in the US with leg length discrepancies post-op.

I agree, Scott, and I would not want anyone who is considering hip surgery to get the impression that they are likely to come out of the operating room with legs of two different lengths. That is just not the case.

As always, you are awesome Jamie! Yes this should definitely 'not' prevent anyone from having much needed surgery but it is important to do the research. And just because a hospital 'is' overseas does not mean it is bad. Just as there are good and bad surgeons all over the world the same goes for hospitals. To answer another questions posted, I checked into the option of out of pocket costs in the U.S. and they were anywhere from $24,000 +. That is a lot of money for someone that has no insurance coverage. You can get one of the best in the U.K or Belgium for much less including travel expenses from the research I did and even much less in India.

HipPain

Thanks, Hippain...now I'm blushing.

The cost in this country is very high....and much lower in other countries. I always feel for people here who have no insurance. There are sometimes options available if you really hunt, but our system is really geared toward dealing with the insurance companies.

One tactic that can be used here, though, involves going to the doctor or hospital and asking them to accept payment from you as an individual just as they would from a major insurance company. For example, my TKR cost over $30,000 just for the hospital, surgery room, and supplies associated with my 3-day stay. But.....my insurance company only paid about $10,000. In the interest of not having to travel, if a person could find a doctor and a hospital nearby that suited them, it might be worthwhile to find the right person in their Finance Office and talk to them.

I'm not exactly sure why US medical facilities and doctors bill so high and then accept such a small amount. My guess is that the process enables them to "write off" the difference to balance profits made. I have NO evidence of that....it's just a layman's opinion. Otherwise, the whole process makes no sense to me...that you would pay the big insurance companies the SMALL amount and charge the individual with no insurance who pays out of their pocket the LARGE amount. If someone out there knows exactly WHY this is done, I'd appreciate an explanation.

If you consider the cost actually paid by an insurance company, the cost to go abroad is not always such a big value.....provided an individual could GET that price by negotiating.

Mudpro.....very interesting article even if it is 4 years old. Thanks for posting it!

Unfortunately that 'was' the lowest cost I could find for hip resurfacing surgery for anyone that had no insurance coverage and had to pay out of pocket. :-(

HipPain

That happens sometimes and it took great courage to pack up and go away like that. And it turned out fine for you. That is a very good thing!

Jamie
The reason is because there is a contract with the doctors and hospitals. They agree to charge a certain amount for the precedure
in order to do business with the Insurance Company. The insurance company knows they will receive a lot of claims from those folks.

Also, before an insurance company will do a contract, they will check out the entity very close.

Also, if you don't have insurance, most doctors and hospitals will
give you a reduced rate you just have to negotiate.

I own an insurance agency and have written health insurance for many years. Also, there are policies out there that are called
catastrophe policies. They are written with a very high deductible,
but should you have to have something like a knee or hip or other major surgery it does not leave you with a hugh bill.

We have great hospitals and doctors in this country as do other countries.

Like anything else you need to lay your cards on the table with the doctor and the hospital and you would be surprised at how they will try and help you.

I am stumped why this thread is getting so much attention and why the push to leave anyones Country to go to another. If you have enough money to go to another Country with all that expense would that not make a BIG down payment on your care in what ever Country you are in?

I don't intend to get in a back and forth post (as some have) this is all you will hear from me on this.

Yes, Pat.....we certainly don't want to get any of that back and forth stuff going again. I must say that today the information presented on this thread has been very good and thoughtfully presented. This is how I hoped the thread would progress and I look forward to it continuing.

I guess no one can completely understand another's situation until you live it yourself. People must do what is right for them. And, as you say, there ARE excellent doctors and hospitals in many countries.

Thank you so much for the explanation of costs charged from an insurance professional's point of view. I appreciate it. I still wonder, though, if the facilties write off the difference. That would make a big difference in their profit line if our tax laws permit that. Guess now I need to hear from a tax professional!!! :hehe:

Actually, a great number of hospitals are non-profits, so "profit" in the usual business model doesn't apply, nor do tax issues.

That would be true....didn't think about that, but you are right about the non-profit status. I'm learning a LOT here....thanks, guys.

By the way to the last poster, those videos are of patients that had hip resurfacing surgery, not THR's.
HipPain

Was in reply to Kathy that said her THR was very different than any of those videos she saw on that site, not to you Scott.

But again, every single recovery is different for any surgery. I have read of patients that had miraculous recoveries with one side and really slow on the other side, same patient. A lot I think has to do with the doc you select as well as the condition you are in prior to surgery and even age.

I actually looked through some of the THR videos on that link and there were some amazing ones as well. I know it can be extremely depressing when our recoveries do not go as quick, but a lot of patients pre-op need the hope that there "is" the possibility that theirs will be quick and positive.

I read somewhere on one of the other sites while researching, that many patients tend to keep only certain memories by choice or maybe it was 'selective' memory? I believe that was the quote? While reading other patients stories it gives us hope that we will be one of the good ones and we tend to block out the normal or slow recoveries that we read about. I know that I did and was extremely dissapointed. But now at 4 years post op, no one could ever guess I had a metal hip, except of course when I go through airport security. (smile)

But I also believe in positive thinking when you are pre-surgery. My first surgery my recovery took longer than most, I was limping for a very long time prior and my entire body was out of whack, I had a leg length difference on top of other problems. I choose to believe when I have my next surgery that I "will" be one of the quicker recoveries, (smile) that gives me hope and makes me not so scared to be facing yet another major surgery again some time in the not too distant future. I love to see those happy and quick recoveries and am very happy for the patients that got to experience that.

Just think how very lucky we all are, no matter where we go for our surgeries, we are getting our lives back. I think about my friend that was diagnosed with breast cancer and passed away within a year, she was too far gone to do anything when she discovered it, or others that get diagnosed with Parkinson's or MS, that is a life sentence. We live in a time where we have choices to be pain free, even if some of us have to travel to get the procedure we want. We are "so" lucky to be able to get our lives back. So here's to everyone on this site, who stayed close to home 'and' those that traveled thousands of miles, those that had THR's , resurfacing or TKR's. We are pain free and were able to go from being or becoming completely disabled and wheelchair bound to living our lives again.

HipPain

You are SO right, Hippain!!! We are all lucky to be living in this wonderful time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hessian